A NY Panorama Devil’s Tale - What happened to the accepted standards that were set a long time ago, for professional sound reinforcement and broadcast?

Sound Devil

New York, USA - There were no rookies in New York Panorama 2016 when it comes to expectations with the sound system. And yes, for the umpteenth time the sound was brutal. The sound devil was nasty and kicked the pan players’ asses from start to finish. Beautiful music, rich harmonics, arrangements and musicianship went 10 rounds with the sound system storm troopers aka ‘devils from Alpha Centauri,’ and lost every single one [round]. The Sound Devil seem to say, “Don’t bring that poppycock excellence in music BS here. Leave that stuff in the panyard.” And further more “Don’t bring that balance and great musical setup and pan placement on this stage. Dah ain’t go wuk. This is sound-hell’s domain and I am the boss.”
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I hear you , Cecil Hinkson.

Some of the best live pan recordings I've heard have come from two sources ; Sanch Recordings in Trinidad and Basement recordings of New York.

Since the Basement people are deeply involved in the pan scene in New York ( and in this forum ) one wonders why that audio engineering expertise isn't taken advantage of by the pan people of New York , seeing the proven success and quality of the Basement panyard recordings.

I suppose the answers are the same things that afflict steelband progress everywhere :  lack of imagination , foresight and proper plannong.

• I would love to see the WIADCA use the expertise of WST next year so we could at least solve one problem.

This reply was deleted.