PHASE 11 LET DAVID PLAY!!! WHO WILL STAND UP FOR DAVID 12YRS OLD! David has been playing with Phase 11 since he was 9 yrs old. He played when they won Panorama 2013 with MORE LOVE. This Panorama Season David practiced for the entire sea.son, not missing a session, he missed 4 days of school when sessions went on until 2-3 in the mornings. He played in the prelims and semis, . LAST NIGHT HE WAS GIVEN THE NOD FOR FINALS, GIVEN THE UNIFORM JERSEY, TOLD WHAT TO BUY, WHITE PANTS AND SHOES. THIS MID-MORNING, TODAY, FINALS DAY, after his grandfather bought everything they informed David he was replaced. Where is the justice????? The person replacing David is a "friend" of someone??? This person practiced 3 nights????? This person was abroad all the time and hardly knows the tune????? David is registered to play. David has own pan, plays well...all his hard work, night rest gone down the drain. David's playing not in question here!!!! A visit the pan-yard and you can fibd him showing adults some parts of the tune...Now his dreams shattered. Tomorrow David will be 13 yrs old. We wonder why pan not going anywhere? This is the reason!!!130 odd members in Phase 11, ..Plenty HAPPINESS!!!but one sad little boy....the future of pan!!!!!

Posted by in Facebook by Savitri Persad Mother of David on February 14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is the official response from Phase II - posted on their facebook page

Good morning players and supporters! Firstly, On behalf of the management of Phase II, we would like to say a hearty thank you to all our players for their stellar performance at the panorama finals last night! While we placed second this year, every single player can attest to the fact that we performed remarkably and every single player gave their best both on and off stage!

Secondly, We say congratulations to Massy Trinidad All Stars on their win last night!

We also want to take this opportunity to address the issues that have been strewn about in social media.
The management of Phase II, like any other Steelband
is tasked with making difficult decisions every panorama season. Due to Pan Trinbago's strictly enforced rule of ONLY 120 players, not every person can play.
While selections are made by the section leaders of the band leading up to final night, our arranger and leader, Mr. Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe ultimately has the final say and made this decision based on his desire to have the band perform with its strongest team of players for our final night performance. (As we say in Phase II, Boogsie Rules!!!)

While we understand the disappointment of this player not being allowed to perform for the final night, there are many other members (even some of our loyal, year round members, who have been playing with the band for decades) who were not given the opportunity to perform for one reason or the other. This is not an occurrence limited to Phase II, but a common occurrence in all other steelbands as well.

While we believe that Phase II may have been able to handle this situation differently, We are deeply disappointed and regret the manner in which this issue was publicized by persons throughout social media platforms.

With all that said, Phase II Pan Groove will continue to do what we do best; thrilling our audiences and giving our best in every performance while performing the music of the Mozart of pan, Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe.

We once again say thank you for your support and love!!! And now it's on to Panorama 2016!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• this is another part of the un bias things that go on in Trinidad everything is favouritizing  is  bad also the judging was bad donot kill the future of tomorrow it bad that kid will never   never forget this  same old bull !!!!

• The most demoralizing thing was done to this kid by Boogsie and Phase two . In other words you killed his spirit and he will always feel he was not good enough to play in the big show . I had to laugh at Phase two reference to Boogsie being called the Mozart of pan . That cracks me up . So what is Jit
    Samarroo , the Beethoven of pan ? Glad Mozart lost . Smooth beat yuh .
    • Gons:

You're right.

They were roughed-up unquestionably by Smooth into 2nd place, with happiness. ROFL......

• An excellent analysis, Keith Maynard.

And you're right to focus on "the communication and HR management skills of the selection committee".

While the band's desire to feature their best players is understandable , the handling of HR part of the issue was deplorable,

After all , HR also means Human Relations , and suggests a certain sensitivity when dealing with each other , and especially with our kids.

• Folks, do not  LOOK  below the surface,LOOK AHEAD. There is a REASON WHY EVERYTHING HAPPENS, and as Human Beings, we TRY to SEE WHY, but REMEMBER , GOD KNOWS BEST.

THINK about IT.

• Hello C. Dalrymple:

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that: "There are no coincidences in life. Everything happens for a purpose or a reason."  I cannot disagree.
      But I do not have to look below the surface to understand why, what happened, happened.  It is obvious.
      I have taken your recommendation and heeded your advice.  I have thought about it!
      And I agree with you totally –– "God, our ruler, knows best."
      But, from what I have read (above) in the official response from Phase II - posted on their facebook page - In Phase II, It Is Boogsie Who Rules!!!
    • AMEN!!!

• It's unfortunate what I read here. While there is no LAW that states that what was done is wrong there is still ETHICS at the end of the day. Now this situation shouldn't be a blame game because both sides seem to have their reasons why they should....

We can all accept that there is a problem. With every problem, all needed is a solution. With that being said, ALL bands should use this as an example to know what not to do. If you are selecting/dropping players for any round of the competition, it should be done the night before (for the latest). 

I recently looked at the documentary that was in cinemas on Pan- The Musical Odyssey. In the movie, All Stars had dropped a young player, BUT it was the night before and the child was informed. It's simple...have the section leaders submit the list of names at the start of the rehearsal the night before, allow enough time for the captain to review and make necessary amendments and at the end of the rehearsal the final night...inform everyone of their fate.

Bless! 

• David forget Phase two . Next year go to Silver Stars . Liam is always looking for panists and he is next generation music .not recycled music .
  • My sympathy for this young Phase II panist.  A similar situation happened to a young percussionist of Desperadoes, but the news was given to him the Friday before finals. The young Despers percussioinst is an auxiliary stageside member who played on many of the band's stageside engagements for the last 3 years. The percussionist that replaced him is a professional and will be long gone as soon as Desperadoes pays the players. I would have asked a road player who knocks a tock tock for his spot, instead of cutting this young man who enhances Desperadoes' present stageside. He will surely be as professional as anyone within the next 3 years. "Loyalty should be compromised in the name of success."  That is a quote from yours truly (lol)  

This reply was deleted.