$2.7M for 170 steelbands with no sponsors

Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Some 170 steelbands that lack private sponsors will altogether receive State help of $2.7 million, said Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism, Dr Lincoln Douglas, at yesterday’s post-Cabinet news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), St Clair.

He said TT has 100 conventional steelbands that are not sponsored (up from 96 bands last year) and each will be given $20,000, for a sum of $2 million. Douglas said TT has 70 single pan steelbands (compared to 73 bands last year) which will each get $10,000, for a total of $700,000. Douglas said Government is committed to the culture of TT and Carnival’s transition from a festival to an industry. “We consider that these commitments are very important,” he assured.
read entire article

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cecil Hinkson I thought you said there was NO PAN on the road for carnival. I just read that there will be FORTY FIVE STEELBANDS on the road Carnival Monday night in just one section of the city. Get your facts STRAIGHT Mr. Cecil!!!

• Claude, tell the Minister of Health DR. Khan stick to taking care of the Sick and leave the Cultural affairs to the so call Minister of Culture MR. Lincoln Douglas. This is what DR. Khan said, “I encourage everybody to be there: Tragarete Road and Ariapita Avenue,” said Khan. “We will have the Carnival Monday night chipping for about 45 steelbands and people moving up and down the avenue.”

This reply was deleted.