Good morning to ALL –

This is a call to duty. I am asking ALL WST members to join me (the “Ghost”), in returning to Trinidad and Tobago, for Carnival 2014. I know some of us already packed and ready, but I am asking those of us who did not plan on going, to consider changing your minds and joining us this year.

In keeping with all our great ideas, I think that we (the WST members) should plan on getting together, so we can meet each other, socialize and network. We need to build relationships with each other, and get to know each other. I also propose that we hold a WST Town Hall Meeting on Ash Wednesday.

We would need to choose an event location, and this should be an open floor discussion, with a moderator and a panel, made up of a cross-section of members of the steelband fraternity. We would extend invitations to Pan Trinbago and the relevant government ministries. Invitations will also be sent to steelbands and pan players around the globe. We would need to have some sort of refreshments and “finger-foods”. We should also have live entertainment, featuring ONLY steelband and pan. Electronic instruments, pan apps, and other pan-related technologies can be displayed, and the discussions should include their roles in the steelbands.

We would need to do a budget, to figure out how much to charge per entrance ticket, but the goal should not be to make a profit, but to cover the expenses, including paying the entertainers (i.e. the panmen and panwomen). We would need featured speakers, and I suggest that Dr. Lance Seunarine be included to speak on retirement funds. We would need to decide a theme for the event, and the topic discussions, which should cover topics such as steelband history and archives, royalties and entertainment law, science and technology, politics and social reform, and employment opportunities and industry development. We would need to hear both (or all) sides of “arguments”, and would need participation from a representative sample of those making up the steelbands. This would mean that we need to invite the young steelband members; possibly having one or two of them as panel guests. We need to hear from the local panman and panwoman; what is important to them, and what do they need or consider as “priority”? After all, it is about them, and not necessarily us. We have to hear what they are saying, and listen to what they are saying, before we can begin to adequately serve them.

This town hall meeting, could also be an inaugural event; a ritual in which we (WST members) engage, on an annual basis. We need to take our discussions public, in my opinion, and I think that an event of this kind, with media presence, will help WST ensure that “When Steel Talks, Everybody Listens”. I am not sure how much of what we do discuss, ever gets to the ears (and hearing) of those we seek to assist, and if they are not hearing us, they are not listening to us, that is with the assumption that they know we do exist (as a community). I am not confident that every panman and panwoman of Trinidad and Tobago, know that we are here, on a daily basis, serving them, and voicing our concerns over their needs. They need to know who we are, and what we are about, in my opinion.

Over the past few months, many have expressed their disgust and displeasure over the practices and policies of Pan Trinbago’s current executive. In reading the numerous comments, it is evident that those of us who reside outside of Trinidad and Tobago (the “expatriates”), are very concerned and wish to do our part in effecting positive change. Almost everyone involved in the steelbands, agree that Pan Trinbago is not engaging in practices that benefit either “culture” or “industry”. And many of us, although away from “home”, are both adequately informed and prolific with great ideas, as to how we “move pan forward”.

As a community, When Steel Talks has become a very significant and forceful voice of “steelband and pan culture”. Although we have numerous relevant “voices”, the Pan Trinbago executive does not consider this forum as being either (significant or forceful). As far as they are concerned, we are a bunch of powerless, insignificant talkers, and (as in my case) “trouble-makers”. Our love and passion for our culture, is taken for granted, and I believe that this is our moment to shine.

If we decide to do this, then we would need to form a committee to plan the event. I am sure that there are quite a few competent members, who can spearhead that effort. I also think that members like Ms. Brenda (Hosang), would be very valuable in planning the event. If I have one “Christmas wish”, it would be that we can pull this off. I honestly think that an annual WST Town Hall Meeting, will be a huge success, and will make us even more relevant and visible. If there is any way that I can be of assistance, you have my commitment that I am “fired up and ready to go”. In any case, if this does not happen, my team and I will eventually be looking to organize similar events. I think that the local panmen and panwomen need a physical forum to voice their opinions. This virtual WST forum provides a great meeting place for us in cyberspace, and I think that a real WST forum in Trinidad and Tobago, would also provide a great meeting place for locals in the real world. Please tell me what you all think. We may need to start making a list of all those who are interested, and who will be going home and joining us at the town hall meeting. I wish you all a very blessed, no-stress Monday.

Ghost.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ghost,

I have been away from this topic for a little while and only just noticed the four suggested points of topic for discussion.

I have a contribution and don`t exactly know where it will or should fit in. but it is a topic that I have been pushing in documents since 2002. I have done some research into it and will be doing much more into it for my academics ..so there will be more information in the future... but I do believe that due to the importance and contentious topic that it is,....  that the process of information, awareness and discussion should continue and this forum might be an ideal situation for a presentation. My topic is "Why a Ministry exclusively for Pan in Trinidad and Tobago?" I also have a proposal for the Pan Yard for year round activities but that I believe could fit in on one of the other four proposals ....I'm just saying ....my two cents

Salah

• Yo Salah. I would love for you to discuss your topic during one of the panel discussions. The one that I think it falls under would most likely be "Creating year-round employment opportunities and future benefits for steelbands and pan players in Trinidad and Tobago. (Panel Discussion B.)",  for the "Ministry of Pan" and the "year round activities" topics. With your, permission, I will add you to the list of panelists for Panel Discussion B. Again, thanks for your support. BTW - Got word back from Andre White, that he will be one of the panelists. This event is SO blessed! (Maybe, because it comes from a genuine place. Our "Universe" truly does not discriminate...you get back, what you send out.) Ghost.

• Sounds good  ...I would love to contribute

Salah

• I'm hoping to "call in" to the steelpan radio show to promote "the event".  "PANALYPSO" on CHRY 105.5FM

• George,

This is with reference to the four topics, my comment is on 2.

1. If there was a Ministry of Pan we'll know what the Role of the Government is.

2. This is PanTrinbago responsibility, they should be made to do their job.

• FOR THE RECORD: I had no intentions of going home for Carnival 2014. The ONLY reason that I am going home is to do more than just TALK on When Steel Talks, as some are content with doing. I am going home to share my ideas, and listen to the ideas of those others. I am going home to try and give back to the land of my birth. In calling this meeting, although I will make ZERO income, AND incur personal charges of at least $1000 (US), not counting my donation to the event.

I have also created an opportunity for our economy to earn additional revenue, from people like myself (who would not be going home for any other reason but to help the steelbands), by way of airfare and other travel expenses. I have also opened up the opportunity for those involved in Starlift to make additional income from the sales of food and beverage. And, ANY monies collected that is in excess of the expenses for the event, will be returned to the donors. I have also declined the offer for myself or anyone affiliated with me, to hold any collected donations. Again, this event will go on, and will be free, even if we fall short of the budget needed. We will simply have to prioritize and have contingency plans in place. And, again, you are ALL invited, whether you contribute or not; you will be treated as an equal guest.

In keeping with my dad's legacy, there will be full disclosure throughout this process. As things develop, I will inform this WST forum; the same forum that I offered the idea up to, in the first place. FYI - My dad NEVER got paid for his 40-plus years of service as a leader of the three steelbands' associations. He had two sources of income; one as a daily-paid malaria investigator (the guys with the spray cans) with the Ministry of Health, and the other, a brief position as a Cultural Advisor to the Prime Minister. The position was "brief", ONLY because he stood in defense of the "steelbandsmen", and in opposition to laws forbidding them to parade on the streets.

So, you all have the choice to go back and reread my comments on this thread, or choose to go by heresy, that you all know, does not stem from a kind place. You all  know that, for some, they know no forgiveness, nor "goodwill". They also know know fairness, and will distort the facts, in order to try and further discredit me. That is their sin, not mine. Their energy...not mine. And, their words; not mine.

Ghost. Same philosophy; different attitude.

• UPDATE: Good morning, ALL. In response to the issues and concerns raised, I was able to come up with four main topic areas. They are as follows:

• Defining the "Steelband Movement" and the Role of Government in the Advancement of the Steelbands of Trinidad and Tobago.
    • Developing year-round Employment Opportunities locally, regionally, and internationally, and Creating Future Benefits for Steelband members of Trinidad and Tobago.
    • How We Balance Rituals, Customs, and Traditions with Innovation, Science and Technology in the 21st Century.
    • Understanding the Role, Constitution and Corporate Structure of Pan Trinbago, and what the "Act of Parliament" really entails.

I think these four topic ideas, will cover all the concerns that I've seen raised, including the "steelbands on the streets" issue. I, again, welcome any and every one of you who would like to be a member of any of the four panels (above),to let us know. We also need volunteers for the event, and would need someone trustworthy in Trinidad to act as "Treasurer" for any funds collected. We would also need donations, so once we have that person to collect the funds, people can send whatever they can afford, as I am  sure every little bit will help.

Hopefully, we will be able to get the equipment we need without cost. So the only expenses, should be for some printed material (programs, invitations, flyers, etc.) We already have a decent enough sound system in Trinidad, and we already have video recorders. We are working to ensure that we have high-speed internet access for the Skype link, but worse case scenario, we could simply have a phone line connected to the mixing board. (Wouldn't be able to see who's calling in, but we'll be able to hear them.) Anyway, I will update you all they come in...Have a great Christmas Eve! Please let me know what you think about the four topic ideas. Thanks again.

Ghost.

• Good morning to ALL. I just wanted to clarify a few things. Firstly, I am not going to engage in any negative "tit-for-tats" with anyone. Secondly, I already stated that my presentation will be a brief look at the "Steelband Movement", and the role that politics has played in helping to create the environment in which the local steelbands now find themselves. George "Sonny" Goddard's name will only be mentioned, as it relates to the topic, and the focus will be on ideas and concepts, and not people or individuals. I understand that some may have the explicit goal to railroad this effort, but, again, it is bigger than ANY one person, myself included. The ball is already rolling, and personal attacks against me or my dad, reveals the mindset of those attacking, more than they may be aware.

Finally, in reference to driving while looking back. It may be okay to not be aware of what's behind you, if you intent to stay in the same lane, as some new drivers do. We intend to change lanes; from the lane of gridlock that Pan Trinbago has had us in for too long. In changing lanes, we use our rear view mirrors, so that what is behind us, does not eventually come up and hurt us. When I pass a semi trailer (Sea Land, as we call them), I am aware that it may still be behind me, and in changing lanes, I had better check my rear view mirrors (i.e. look back), before making the change.

I am confident that those with common sense, will understand the concept of Sankofa, and I expect that to some, any form of critical thinking, becomes a challenge, especially when they are prisoners of their own hate and envy. I understand that in the attempt to do good, there will be those (whom I refer to as "agents"), who will attempt to do all in their power to add confusion and chaos, to anything that is good. Again, my conscience is clear; that, as with everything that I have shared with you all, I have done so unselfishly, and in brotherly love. 

Finally, even if the "agents" are successful in convincing the rest of you to stay away from this event, rest assured that they have NO power over me, my mind, nor my spirit. When the idea first came to me, I intended to make this about When Steel Talks and this "family" that I have become a part of. The caliber of people that are showing their support, far exceeds those who are intent on causing disruption. Again, I thank all those with positive feedback, and to those with your negative vibes, I also thank you, for you are giving me the test that ALL "leaders" have to sit and pass. Hopefully, I will pass this test, as I did, in earning my Bachelor's degree (with honors). I accept and embrace the challenges ahead of me, and I am thankful that I am beginning to trust "God" and the advice I get from the "Unseen". As always, in brotherly love,

George D. Goddard/Ghost.

This reply was deleted.