New York's Annual Economic Stimulus -What This City Stands to Lose
New York - The West Indian American Day Carnival Association's - promoter of the annual New York steelband panorama and carnival events - financial forecast states that on the basis of 3 Million visitors to the Labor Day Carnival event, the total projected 2010 revenue is $303,832,857 for New York City.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Atfter speakng with people who no what is going on i still say the same thing that is not our problem . if they want to cut the hours .and for those of you who feel that the Mayor is picking on the West Indian Celebrations i was told that all the parade in New York will be affected not just labour day so people before we start making an ASS-UMTION of our self get the facts right and panpeople UNTILL IT START TO AFFECT THE JOUVERT "MIND YOUR BUISNESS"
  • 303 million for the city and state and still we get no respect from the NYPD. Just try crossing Eastern Parkway on Labor Day and you are sure to encounter the most hostile treatment by the police department, kind of reminiscent of aparthied South Africa. As a matter of fact, that treatment starts before Labor Day, when the police abruptly close down the panyards and parties.
    303 million, plus we culturally and financially enrich this city and state only to be treated like animals. In my opinion, we should just give them back their day and keep our money. I'm a panatic and I really love the whole carnival atmosphere, but why should we pay the police to treat us like dogs?.
  • to tell you the truth as a pan player i dont care if they cut it to one hour because for years i have not even been on the parkway. and most of the steel band dont also ,so now you want us to care ?????? as long as they dont cut JOUVERT i say so be it not our problem
    • Momo I hear you and feel what you are saying.

But after they done with them, will they come after us next?

bugs
      • yep. me too, once the sun comes up we (along with most of the panmen&women) palance right on outta there. hehe.

and u know what bugs, i am thinking they might leave the jouvert alone cause it's not a big moneymaker NOR money 'taker'. yes, is true the police must also be paid OT, but it's not NEAR as many as the droves of them the city feels they must provide during the day on the parkway. i'm hoping that since it's still kind of an 'underground-ish' event they may well just ignore it - (one can only hope)
        • I don't know Catt. The push seems to be about moving the Carnival off of the parkway. From what I'm hearing this why the previous USSA administration mounted that hostile take-over attempt of J'ouvert. They wanted to deliver J'ouvert to the city officials. Both they and WIADCA have already sold-out the community. The Ike and Tom characters have to be watched very carefully.

bugs
          • *sigh* yah, i hear u bugs. but i think i'm not quite getting how moving Carnival off the parkway would impact the jouvert though - altho they're connected, arent' they sorta separate entities - (?) - i realize i'm not as well-versed on all these ins-and-outs as you are-

i do love Brooklyn Jouvert but i'm just gettin so flickin sick of all the nonsense.
            well, i guess if it all falls apart maybe i won't miss Labor Day as much when i move south.
  • The New York Carnival has been a known cash cow for the city. WIADCA sold out the community for years and by extension the past leaders of USSA did the same thing to the steelband community when the went back WIADCA. So what's different now?
  • Mayor’s Five Hour Parade Time Limit Could Cost City $300 million and Cripple Brooklyn’s Carnival

The West Indian American Labor Day parade, the largest parade of its kind in the United States, which brings in an estimated $300 million to the New York City coffers each year could be limited to less than five hours if Mayor Bloomberg’s proposal becomes law on April 1, 2010. The Mayor claims this proposal will save $3.1 million in NYPD overtime.
    The West Indian American Labor Day parade officially commences at 10am and concludes at 6pm. In past years, some of the costumed bands have not made it to the reviewing stand in front of the Brooklyn Museum in the eight (8) hours allotted. There are concerns that the Mayor’s proposal will make it impossible for most of the costumed bands to reach the reviewing stand. The New York Carnival Bandleaders Association (NYCBLA) is considering its options for the 2010 Carnival season.
    Carnival Mas camps begin their productions for Labor Day from the first weekend of July. Mas Camps receive no funding from the city or state yet the state and city coffers benefit to the tune of $300 million due to the annual West Indian Labor Day parade.
    In comparison, the city had revenue of about $158 million and spent an estimated $ 150 million to date (there are still lawsuits pending) to host the 2004 Republican National convention. $58 million was spent on NYPD overtime.
    Given the impact the Mayor’s proposal would have on the West Indian American Labor Day parade, NYCBLA member masquerade bands are considering not participating in the 2010 carnival season if the Mayor’s proposal becomes law. The Mayor’s savings of $3.1 million would vanish with the loss of the $ 300 million to the state and city in the textile, transportation and tourist industries.
    • Five hours. The carnival will have to employ the marching bands to hurry them along the street. How ridiculous how is that five hours going to work out. All the interest groups must stand together and seriously boycot the festivities.
This reply was deleted.