by WST

Guaico Presbyterian Steel Orchestra during their winning performance
Guaico Presbyterian Steel Orchestra during their winning performance

The Honourable Anthony Garcia, Minister of Education followed, and who—while praising the art form, the event that would unfold throughout the day, and especially the young musicians participating—cautioned “...We are prepared to share this talent with other countries, but we must make sure that it remains ours. It is the best, and most important musical [invention], that we have had for quite some time.” Garcia stressed the multicultural aspect, commitment and focus of the MMPU relative to the students of the nation, while reminding that he had stated that “Under my tenure as Minister of Education, I am going to make sure that every school in Trinidad and Tobago has a presence of the steelpan.”

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Brilliant morning sunshine to start, unavoidable rain event temporarily putting a pause on the show toward the end. But what was the ‘constant’ that the weather book-ended? The powerful and determined performances put on by the youthful steelband musicians of Trinidad and Tobago. From the Primary Schools, through their Secondary counterparts, and finally the Under 21/Non-School division, it was Pan and Passion all through the day into the night time. But unlike 2018 when all three champions retained their titles, all were dethroned in 2019...

The National Anthem was played by Malakai Joseph of St. Paul’s Anglican School - who not too long after went on to cop the prize for ‘Most outstanding drummer’ in the Primary School category.  Guest artists Lady Hochoy Music Makers Steel Orchestra opened the event musically. They then made way for the first band in competition in the Primary category - Point Fortin Anglican School Starz, whose players came dressed to the nines in all black (the traditional performing attire of the late Mighty Shadow, whose song Dingolay was the band’s tune), with brightly-colored green, yellow and dark lavender ties, and black hats with matching colored ribbons.

As some of the nation’s youngest musicians played their hearts out, the sheer happiness reflected in their countenances was unmistakable as they reveled in their chance to take the Big Stage at the Savannah. It was a beautiful sight, the enthusiasm displayed by some little ones who could barely reach their steelpan instruments. There were also skits further highlighting the themes of tunes of choice (this was characteristic throughout the three Junior finals competitions). And the applause that followed each band’s presentation - from participating schools’ student bodies, proud parents, family members and the general public in attendance - clearly made their day!

Read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –