Abbey School ( Mt.St.Benedict ) Steelband in 1951

MOUNT MARINERS STEEL BAND

While we were maturing academically and spiritually, we were also, at the same time, evolving culturally. The Abbey School boasted the very first School-based steelband in Trinidad and Tobago.

According to David de Castro (a.k.a. “Calypso Bandit”), Mt. St. Benedict’s Abbey School was the first college to have it’s own steelband, long before St. Mary’s College, long before all  others. It was in 1949 that the “Mount Mariners” was born, only to die in 1953.

The make-up of the band was as follows:

First pan:                   Lawrence McCauley, Delano de Castro

Second pan:             David de Castro

Guitar Pan:                Colin Phillips, Trevor Matthews

Base Pan:                 Peter Dos Santos, Rodney de Pass

DuDup Pan:             Michel Nassief

Maracas and Iron:    Stanley Ferguson

David says, “Stanley Ferguson was our conductor when we did shoes for the parents on Parents’ Night”. We were not allowed to go into town for Carnival, so at Carnival time we would beat our steel drums while walking around the school. The last year we had Dom Basil Matthews waving the flag. . .  what a night!

Our favourite songs were: “Mambo Jambo”, “Peanut Vendor” (by Peres Prado), “In a Calabash”, and “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

Note: After graduating from MSB, Dave de Castro migrated to Canada, where he became a calypsonians by the name of the “Calypso Bandit”. He was instrumental in introducing calypso to Canada, and was actually crowned the Calypso King of Ontario (or was it Canada? – Please advise, Dave). He is today (2012) still active in the world of calypso, and now lives in Florida.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How about hearing from the other players in the band.... Lawrence McCauley, Colin Phillips, Trevor Matthews, Peter Dos Santos, Rodney de Pass, Michael Nassifer, Stanley Ferguson, are any of these guys still around, if so, what do they remember about these times.

• I would really like to see this confirmed, if Owen Serrette does not know this, I find it difficult to believe......keep up the conversation fellows and perhaps it will come to a definite conclusion.
  • Hi Owen,

Yes there is quite a few of us of who went to school at the Mount ( Abbey School)/ I was also a student and up to last year I did a gig here with Dave De Castro (Bandit) here in Ontario Canada.

But this History actually puts Pan in the first school ( in the world) in Abbey School  ...interesting isn't it. Even Kim Johnson was not aware of it. ...but Bandit has some pictures also

Salah

• Hi Jerry Bain,

Very interesting information.I was a student at Abbey School ( in the seminary actually) from 1954.Before that I played with City Synchopaters, unknown to my mother for obious reasons as I was from Basilon Street and was attending Rosary Boys at the time.I was unaware that there was in fact a steelband at Abbey School earlier on

You may or may not know that I was President of Pan Trinbago from 1988 to 1998, after Arnim,Smith.

I would contact David DeCastro to keep up the conversation. You may contact me at serretteo@yahoo.com

Owen Serrette

• Geez  ... I went to this School as a 'Day Boy; for two years from 1956 ... never once heard anything about a Steelband. Checking with Brian Waithe to see if he remembers.

• This is importantsteelband history. What about Jules Cazabon? He was a member of the National steelband under George Goddard and was involved in a Steelband at Mount St. Benedict in the 1960's.

• Cecil,

Jules Casabon was involve in a Steelband in the village  ( St. Johns Village) . At that time there were three steelbands in the village 1. The original Flamingoes , 2 Volewykers ( Jules Casabon band) and 3. another band named Hot Spots. ...but there is a connection with Mt. St. Benedict in that the 'Parish Priest' of the village  (Fr. Gregory) who belonged to Mt St. Benedict  was actually the sponsor of the band in providing  a place for the band amongst other things.

Salah

• Thanks Bro

• Thanks for that piece of history.

• Yes Salah, I was totally ignorant of this. I will check out his website.

This reply was deleted.