ABOUT PANORAMA 2013

Every year after panorama we hear a lot of negative talk about  the Judges and their judging, for 2013 lets see if we can eliminate that.

About the Judges...

I don't think that Steelbands ever had their say in who should or should not be a Judge. It's about time they have some input into who should be a Judge.

About the Judging....

Let the arrangers make the criteria for which they would like their music to be judged.

At one time or the other we have all heard arrangers say that it is not because a person has a degree in music they can judge panorama,  we have also heard of judges that don't know the difference between a Guitar Pan and a Second. Lets see if we can iron-out these kinks and make Panorama 2013 the best ever.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On a more serious note as regards Judges and Panorama,

Mr.Glenroy, you always make sense anyway. But, I believe to acheive the kind of atmosphre you suggested, we need to establish an independent panel of judges functioning all year round where they would be able to study Panorama arrangements, meet with arrangers, and become more familar with the ranges of the different instruments, exchange ideas and develope criterias that works for everyone, get a better understanding of what exactly the arrangers trying to do. You must realize by now we have created a Format for our music that is like no other. Therefore, we cannot rely on just any person to judge because he reads music. It is more important that one understand the entirety of the music, where it's coming from and where it's going. That way we can eliminate the friction that occurs every year between the judges and the steel bands.  

• Charlene Lusk you look like you will make an excellent judge.

• Hello Mr.Gitens and Mr.Hinkson, Very good topic, but did you notice how many different approaches you guys had going back and forth to get an understanding to realize you voting for the same team. That's what happens, doh laugh eh, but acording to Chalk Dust we car even run a police station..A.Joseph

• Bertel my Brother the way I see it it's this, Panorama is about the music of the steelband.  The arrangers are the most important people because they arrange and sometimes compose the music. The steelband is the people that play the music. Pan Trinbago job is to see about the business of Panorama. Things like choosing the judges and the criteria for judging should be done by the ones the make the music [arrangers and players]

No one should be allowed to tell pan people " this is who will judge you and these are the rules by which you will be judged"

• Well my brother, Panorama is a show run by Pantrinbago which represents all the steelbands of T&T. All steelbands vote in the executive of PT to be their voice on ALL matters. Therefore the steelbands pick their judges and give the citeria on which they should be judged. The arrangers are paid very well by the steebands and they are given guidelines to do their jobs. Depending on how well they do their jobs they are hired in some cases, or fired in others. This is the reality. There is no tail wagging the dog here. If Pantrinbago is doing its job well or not is another matter we can discuss.

• Bertel, I have to believe that you are a lawyer because you certainly have a way with words. Everyone knows who PanTrinbago is my question is do they know  who they are? You look like an good man to know for when ah come for panorama in 2013 [Gods Willin]  I an thinking about that area in the Grand Stand where PT have all their invited guests, I've seen how they run free food and drinks, Ah just feel yuh hook-up good wid PT.

• The intricate of the business called Pan Trinbago, at this moment of pan history, it is the first time a discussion "about the Judges and their judging" reach the forum, the T&T steelpan arrangers, bandleaders and managers have to visit WST occasionally and take part in the discussions.

Bandleaders and Managers have to perform in their position, study the issues involved and take action, for the benifit of your band and members. STEELBAND IS BIG BUSINESS...

• No Cecil, Like you, I have serious questions on how things are managed with Pan here in T&T. We could do much, much better with how we manage our national instrument. So I would be the enemy to the present administration in pan. Cecil, I would really like to meet you come Panorama 2013, remember its the 50th Panorama, so find yourself here somehow with the whole WST gang. I will be glad to host.

• It would be a sin to miss listening to Ray, Andy and Zanda live.

• My next radical proposal for panorama concerns judging.

I would strongly suggest that the judging criteria be relaxed as much as possible, removing the "strait jacket", and allowing the arrangers to be as imaginative, creative and experimental as possible.

I trust the skills and intelligence of the arrangers.

They all want to win, don't they?

Free up the arrangers so they can freely express themselves, and let them surprise us!

This reply was deleted.