Click on, or copy and paste the following link: Pedagogy Of The Oppressed by Paulo Freire (Complete Text)

Okay, this is it folks!!! I think the best way to go about this, is to keep it simple. I decided the way we go about this is by choosing books that we can get online for free (reading and/or downloading). For example, we can use this site: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/. And we can add others, as we find them. I'm sure we can find many free books online, we would love to read and would recommend.

To keep it fair, we will choose who picks the "Book Of The Month", by order of time of membership. Obviously, that would mean I get "first dibs", and the book I choose is Pedagogy Of The Oppressed by Paulo Freire. Attached is a copy. This will be the book for the month of August (2012), and I think it is appropriate reading during the month of our "freedom" - Trinidad & Tobago's Independence. ( R Kilkenny, you are next on the list, to choose the book for September. Then,  ROLPH DAYAL (October),  Cindy Cummings (November), and Ian (December). If anyone does not submit a book, we just move forward the next person in line. As we get new members, we add them to the line, and when we reach the end of the line, we start over.

Again, please keep in mind, the goal is to enrich our critical thinking skills, and I am aware of the many intellectuals, so please be patient and respectful to those, who may not be as skilled as some of you. The goal is to not make ANYONE feel that their voice is valueless, or what they have to say does not matter. Rather, we should be strengthening each other, and learning from each other. There should be NO personal attacks, and really, I would prefer if we refrain from rebutting others comments/viewpoints. We should just state our own, and explain why we arrived at the conclusions we did. Finally, we should share what we walked away with; what lesson or moral did the book bring out, or how did the book affect you. We can also speak about the style of the author, and if we like, we can do additional research, and share it with the book club members. Finally, I'd like to thank you all, for joining this effort, which I know will only make us stronger, wiser, and more united. Shem Em Hotep (May you go in peace). And read...

Pan'tum - The Ghost Who Talks. Honoring The Legacy Of George "Sonny" Goddard

P.S. There is NO deadline!!! Join us, and enrich your minds!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So, here we are; the end of the month. Not ONE of you, responded to this thread. We wonder why panmen and panwomen are not respected by society, when we have issues respecting ourselves. I am so disappointed in this WST membership; perhaps, I gave you all too much credit. To those of you, who are under the false impression, that you affect my quality of life, please be clear: Your disrespect and lack of appreciation (for what I brought to the table), helped me in understanding what my dad had to deal with. The "steelband movement" died a long time ago, and the local industry will soon follow. You all failed to realize my sincere efforts at reviving the "movement", and allowed the enemies of pan's progress to take control. So, with that said, I am no longer going to be posting anything on this WST forum. I will continue to peruse, as any information, to me, is good information. To those of you who think you have silenced me, please do not flatter yourselves. I choose this, not because of your attacks, but because, I realize, that I am dealing with a selfish, egotistical, materialistic, bunch of individuals, who, for the most part, could not care less about the other person. Dr. Lance's gesture, and the poor response, proves this. So, while E-Pan Man and Freddie Harris fight over who deserves the right to own an E-Pan or not, the masses of panmen and panwomen, have NO ONE speaking for them, representing their concerns and interests. At the end of the day, future generations, will be able to look back, and see EXACTLY what the Goddard Legacy stood for, and when the local panman/panwoman is no more, the student of history, will be able to see, who fought for them. I will continue to be an advocate for human rights, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or any other "differences" that separate us as a "human family". I have been consistent in my representation of the "masses" (lumpen proletarian) of our Trinidad & Tobago society, and hope one day, that we ALL, hold each other accountable to living up to the ideals, on which our twin-island nation were founded, where "together we aspire, together we achieve". I refuse to be a hypocrite, and pretend that "all ah we is one family", when in our society, that is not the case. And, as "panmen" and "panwomen", we should know that, better than any other segment of our race/class-based society. So, on that note, I wish you all the best, and hope that, you come to understand that you are at your best, when you unselfishly serve others. That is my dad's legacy, and it is one that I will continue to follow. So, I am not giving up nor quitting; just re-directing my energies in places, where they would be more appreciated and accepted. Shem Em Hotep.

George D. Goddard, B.A. Music (Cum Laude). Member of the National Scholars Honor Society.

Honoring The Legacy Of George "Sonny" Goddard - The "Malcolm X of the Steelband Movement"!

• "Liberation is a praxis: the action and reflection of men and women upon their world in order to transform it." Freire.

• FREE YOUR MIND FROM THE "BANKING SYSTEM" OF EDUCATION: "The capability of banking education to minimize or annul the students creative power and to stimulate their credulity serves the interests of the oppressors, who care neither to have the world revealed nor to see it transformed. The oppressors use their "humani-tarianism" to preserve a profitable situation. Thus they react almost instinctively against any experiment in education which stimulates the critical faculties and is not content with a partial view of reality but always seeks out the ties which link one point to another and one problem to another...Indeed, the interests of the oppressors lie in "changing the consciousness of the oppressed, not the situation which oppresses them"; for the more the oppressed can be led to adapt to that situation, the more easily they can be dominated. To achieve this end, the oppressors use the banking concept of education in conjunction with a paternalistic social action apparatus, within which the oppressed receive the euphemistic title of "welfare recipients." They are treated as individual cases, as marginal persons who deviate from the general configuration of a "good, organized, and just" society. The oppressed are regarded as the pathology of the healthy society, which must therefore adjust these "incompetent and lazy" folk to its own patterns by changing their mentality. These marginals need to be "integrated," "incorporated" into the healthy society that they have "forsaken."" Paulo Freire, Pedagogy Of The Oppressed

• Hi Fellow WST Book Club Members,

I hope you are enjoying the "book of the month". I have been very busy, preparing for a gig, but I have been reading, and am almost halfway through. QUESTIONS: 

1. Who was Paulo Freire, and why was the topic of "liberation", so important to him?
    2. As far as you have read, what seems to be the "central theme" of his message?
    3. Why do you think that Freire's works influenced Steven Biko and the "Black Consciousness Movement" of the mid-1960s?

Please post your answers/responses/comments here: https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/book-of-the-month-for-a...

Thanks again, for supporting this literacy effort.

Ghost.

This reply was deleted.