CHUTNEY SOCA is at a MUSICAL CROSSROADS and must decide what it wants to be. Listening to the show and watching the performers grab at so many OUTSIDE MUSICAL INFLUENCES so far removed from the core genre left me wondering when they will get back on course, or if they will ever get back on course.

The music is advancing because of good marketing, and an ever-expanding global base with a cultural hunger that is so needy that it is willing to settle for far less than it should be expecting. I am talking about people who should expect (demand?) better after living on THE OUTSIDE.

The two bands that performed  last night were very very good and mastered the CHUTNEY CORE. But the PERFORMERS were substandard with HORRIBLE VOCALS and VILLAGE LYRICS.

Both in the CALYPSO/SOCA and the CHUTNEY SOCA genres the vocalists are atrocious. It is time to establish some voice training schools for our LOCAL ARTISTES -- down in TRINIDAD -- and the performers themselves should start accepting that responsibility to raise the standard of their vocal deliveries.

In summary, SOCA CHUTNEY 2022 delivered failed attempts at STAGE PRODUCTION and very low level performances with little to no entertainment value.

Gi Beharry defended his title with a most elaborate stage presentation filled with magnificent costuming and dance sequences. But the content of his song was even a little less than RUM SHOP -- TWO BEERS.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –