Despers celebrates rebirth - Nigeria Tour

The Trinidad & Tobago Guardian

Desperadoes serenades at ResurgenceTrinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Neither rain or flood last Saturday could keep the true supporters of Witco Desperadoes away from the Central Bank Forecourt when the Laventille Hill steel orchestra did a farewell concert. Today, the ten-time National Panorama champion embarks on a 21-day tour of Nigeria. Aptly named The Resurgence, because of the band’s newly elected youthful management committee, and Desperadoes determination on winning Panorama in the year of the nation’s 50th anniversary, there seemed to be a reinvigorated attitude from the band’s membership and in its music.

....During the show, Pan Trinbago president Keith Diaz spoke of the Nigerian tour. Revealing how the tour materialised, he disclosed: “When President George Maxwell Richards visited the country (Nigeria) recently for the inauguration of the new president Goodluck Jonathan, in May of this year, he was accompanied by the band (Desperadoes). Former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo so thoroughly enjoyed the band’s performance that he asked for them to return.
full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Food for thought about Desperadoes' 12-man squad that left for a 3-week tour of Nigeria.

Does anyone know how many officials made up the entourage, and what is the cost for the entire trip?

When Desperadoes first visited Nigeria some twenty odd years ago, the squad was doubled.

I am aware of the economics of today. However, ........................................................... 

This reply was deleted.