When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

When Steel Talks extends condolences to friends and family of the legendary master arranger Dr. Jit Samaroo.

more on Dr. Samaroo

additional comments by global steelpan community

Views: 3382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Words are never adequate in moments like these. Even so, my heart goes out to the Samaroo family and will always remember the joyous memories that I’m privileged to have in knowing Jit and, the continued satisfaction derived from his music, which, for me, exemplifies the standard by which all others are judged.

Great men don't die; they remain always in the hearts and minds of many for all time.

Heartfelt condolences to his family, relatives and friends.

A giant has passed on, the likes of which may never walk this country again. He was a musical genius who worked magic with pan, and also straddled the cultural boundaries like a colossus. He was, too, a most humble human being. To think that the younger generations know nothing of this man and his music. Lie down with the lions, among them 'bin Lion', my brother. RIP.

The Passing of Jit Samaroo RIP ~7th January 2015

Dr. Jit Samaroo: Master Panorama Arranger.

The executive and playing members of Hatters Steel Orchestra express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of Master Panorama Arranger, Dr. Jit Samaroo.

We would also like to extend our respectful support to some of the bands with whom Dr. Samaroo had much influence; The Samaroo Jets, Renegades and Sangre Grande Cordettes; and by connection to his son, the arranger and composer Mr Amrit Samaroo and his current associated steelband from Surrey Village, near Lopinot, Supernovas.

We acknowledge the outstanding contribution of a Master Steelpan Panorama Arranger, Jit Samaroo, whom over the past 33 years, has held unchallenged, 9 Large Panorama wins; 1982, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997 with Renegades. In this year of his passing, it is somewhat fitting that his record will remain, for one year at least, unchallenged; as this record can only be ‘equalled’ should the redoubtable arranger ‘Smooth’ Edwards succeed for season 2016.

May our past exceptional brother in pan, Master Panorama Arranger, Dr. Jit Samaroo, Rest in Eternal Peace.

tobagojo - PRO Hatters - 20160107

Its almost as if the forces of nature are picking off our icons one by one in such a short space of time. Thankfully he has passed on his skill and knowledge. Thanks for your invaluable contribution Mr Samaroo. Travel well

Deepest condolences go out to Amrit and the rest of the Samaroo Family on the passing of our beloved Pan Brother Jit.

He had always invited me to a river lime in Lopinot but I never got the opportunity to do so, however, I'm still anticipating making the trip with Amrit and the boys sometime soon.

Rest In Peace my Pan Brother Jit, and the legacy of your music shall  continue to live on, even through the Heavens.

On behalf of the Marysville and Triangle Community Steelbands in Victoria, Australia we would like to express our sincere condolences to the family of Dr. Jit Samaroo and to the steel pan communities of T&T. We are immensely thankful to be able to listen to his music and to learn from him what pan is all about. May he rest in peace. 

The first time I was introduced to Dr. Samaroo's music. I was in a car heading to a panorama rehearsal. Prior to playing pan I always had an affinity to Bach's counterpoint. Then I met Jit's work with Renegades and almost abandoned Euro-music studies.

"Pan in a rage" stuck with me so much that I learned it by ear (much to the annoyance of my parents at the time to have a 15yr old play a CD track 30 times a day). Repetition withstanding, eventually arranged my own version l and used thst arrangement to win a scholarship to Florida Memorial University.

I've long missed the agile arrangement of this genius but I am confident that Amrit will dig just as deeply into the legacy of the "Samaroo music".

I owe a large part of my current arranging ability to Dr. Samaroo. Thank you

Michael Marcano, your very descriptive and welcome remarks are truly appreciated. Dr  Jit would always be remembered as his work and mentees will keep his spirit alive.

What a very sad loss to the global steelband fraternity and to the steelband culture. Jit is truly a musical icon of our land, his music spoke volumes and his modesty was always evident.  Meeting this great musical arranger in the Renegades panyard for the first time will stay with me forever. The late Ralph Macdonald and myself were doing the pan yard rounds before panorama and Jit welcome us with such warmth. A truly lovely person. You will be sadly missed and thanks for your mystical music that will see your legacy live on. RIP My Brother!!

I read with sadness the death of Dr. Jit Samaroo.  For the past fifteen years at the St. Jamestowm Youth Centre we chose and played Jit's compositions every year at Toronto Pan Alive.  Last year we played Guitar Pan which Renegades won at the Trinidad and Tobago Panorama some years ago.  Our children and youth in our Steel Orchestra enjoy playing Jit's music.  Now we are also playing Amrit's music, so that should tell people how much Jit's music is appreciated, and although the children and youth in the orchestra sometimes have difficulty learning his counter melodies, they enjoy playing his music.

On behalf of the Canadian Federation of Steel Pan and the St. Jamestown Youth Centre Steel Orchestra, I offer my condolences to the Samaroo family,  Jit and his family are remembered in my daily prayers.  May he rest in peace.

Ken Bhagan

Chairperson of the Canadian Federation of Steel Pan

Added to the legacy of the late, Dr. Jit Samaroo: (a) The only arranger to dominate panorama in two consecutive decades, 1980's and 1990's (b) First win by a double digit margin, 17.5 (c) Only arranger to qualify for 29 consecutive finals (d) The first to place in top-three 15 times (e) Has the highest winning percentage from 1982 through 1997 with 9 wins in those16 attempts. 

Dr.Jit Sukha Samaroo Cultural Icon

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service