Govt cuts 2017 Carnival spending by 25 per cent

Published: 
Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Diplo of Major Lazer goes through the crowd during the Sunset Festival Trinidad at O2Park in Chaguaramas on Sunday. PHOTO: CASS STUART

Government allocations for Carnival 2017 have suffered yet another cut. According to National Carnival Commission (NCC) chairman, Kenny de Silva, allocations for Carnival bodies have been cut by just under 25 per cent.

This is a further reduction from the Government’s $270 million budgetary allocation for Carnival 2016.

In 2015, the allocation for Carnival was $314 million.

Culture, Arts and Community Development Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, responding to a question in the Senate on Monday, did not get a total overall figure but said Pan Trinbago will get some $23 million, the National Carnival Bandleaders Association (NCBA), around $9 million and the Government will give another $7,290,000 for groups facilitated by the NCC, like the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Association (Tuco).

The minister said allocations are paid in tranches and, so far, Tuco has received over $1 million, Pan Trinbago, over $7 million and the NCBA $233,722.

De Silva said it was initially proposed Tuco gets $9 million but Government decided to reduce it to $7,290,000 because of the state of the economy.

Pan Trinbago’s initial figure was cut from $30,780,000 to $23,085,000.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don't know why anyone would be surprised.

From early this year , I tried to raise the point that , because of the failing economy in T&T ,steelbands should explore alternative means of generating income as musicians and entertainers , instead of just depending on the government subsidy via the panorama.

I would also insist that the best time to generate that income is during the annual Carnival season.

Of course , no one cared to follow up on this , preferring instead to focus on PanTrinbago and Kieth Diaz.

Not to say that Pan Trinbago is blameless , mind you , but a share of the blame must also go to the lackadaisical and unprofessional attitudes of most pan people whose only ambition seem to be getting that annual panorama stipend from the government.

This reply was deleted.