Today only Sterling Betancourt, Ellie Mannette and Anthony Williams are still alive and as a nation we would be amiss, if we fail to honour our patriots with The Order of Trinidad and Tobago at our 50th anniversary celebrations of nationhood in 2012. If the truth be told, these men began an odyssey 60 years ago across the frontiers of the world that is still in progress to this day Captain Griffith's musical brigade symbolized not just Caribbean unity but an era that gave this twin-island state a sense of purpose and identity.

Ralph MacDonald, although he was born in the USA, of TT parenthood(his dad, a calypsonian) he was a true 'Trini', a cultural ambassador. In most of his albums, there would always be a composition connected to Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean, for example "We Need More Calypso", "East Dry River", "Remember Kitchener", "J'Ouvert Jam", "Just The Two Of Us", and lots more. The latter, he wrote after looking into the showcase of the TT Tourist Board office in the US and saw a brochure of a girl on the beach in Tobago inviting visitors to 'discover both of us'. I think it would be fitting if the Government would honour him, posthumously with a National Award.

Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism, the ball is in your court, do the research! He wrote some great songs for "big artistes".

www.panapparels.com

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• QUESTIONS:

1. Did Ellie Mannette leave Trinidad to promote Trinidad culture, or to seek his own personal career interests? What is his relationship with Trinidad & Tobago, and the local "pan industry"? How many "Trinbagonians" are under his employ? Does he outsource ANY of his work to ANY local manufacturers? Has he EVER returned to the land of his birth, to share his knowledge with the young men and women of Trinidad & Tobago? How does his employee base break down by nationality and race?

2. If Royce Russell really wants us to focus on "honouring" his "chosen", why did he feel the need to include a link to his business website, which promotes his sale items that are not related to the issue of recognition? What is the connection?

• Regardless of what you say Dr. Ellie and those Pan Inventors are recognized World Wide as the Pioneers of this Instrument and their names are written in the History as such . I have no problem with you advocating for recognition of your Father's work but I cannot see your point if it is you are saying that Pan has reached where it is principally because of your Dad's efforts . I am one who voted for you Dad to be the President of the SteelBand Association and I acknowledge and appreciate the work that he did but your  "knocking" of Dr. Ellie is totally unjustified for he has done much more for Pan than you may want to acknowledge for the vast majority of us grew up on "The Invaders Styling of Pans" and I am sure that your Father would have had the utmost respect and appreciation for Dr. Ellie .  Nothing is wrong with this suggestion of Mr.Royce Russell for it is a very good Idea and if he did not mention your Dad it is not that something is wrong with him for there are very many others that were not mentioned and what he created is a platform for dialogue which we hope would yield positive results for those who labored for the Pan . So you continue to fight for the recognition that you think your Dad deserves but be mindful of the significant input of the many others through all these years of the growth of the SteelBand . I'll leave with this " We can agree to disagree " for intelligence dictates this . Thanks .

• Steve, where did I "knock" Dr. Ellie or any "pioneer"? If anything, I "knock" the panderers. What I did ask for was for them to " provide their names and list their accomplishments, and how those accomplishments positively impact us, as pannists." I NEVER stated that it has reached where is has "principally" because of his efforts. If anything, my argument is it has not reached where it could have reached because his efforts were not respected and honored. The reason I posted his accomplishments on WST, was in response to the lack of respect and lack of knowledge of those efforts. I do not assume to know EVERYTHING about the "steelband movement" nor about pan, and that is why I have been asking over and over for you all to do the same with the persons you think should be recognized. I used a very easy-to-follow timeline, and I am sure you all can do the same. I can only wonder why NO ONE has taken up that challenge. Finally, if you read my numerous postings, you would see that I do acknowledge others and their contributions/support. Questions: Why did you vote for George for President of the association? What did you see in him that swayed your choice? What year was this, and what was the social and political environment at the time? I LOVE your closing statement! Thank you, Steve.

Example of Pioneers List of Accomplishments:

NAME:

ACCOMPLISHMENT:

MOTIVE BEHIND THE ACCOMPLISHMENT: Personal Career, or Advocacy for the Entire Body's Benefit 

IMPACT ON THE INDUSTRY: 

IMPACT ON THE PLAYER: How does this benefit the player, in terms of "quality of life"?

Good Night, ALL!

• Lengthen the list to include everybody!  Give credit where credit is due.

• Sure; provide their names and list their accomplishments, and how those accomplishments positively impact us, as pannists.

Ghost.

• I have never heard where the Planners, Organizers or even Financiers are the Stars of the show . It is always the Artiste , Performers , Musicians to whom the accolades go and the others usually get some Honorary Mention . Dr. Ellie , Mr .A. Williams and those who worked so very hard to bring the Pan to this standard where it is now Universally accepted deserve the Highest Honor without a doubt . Thanks .

• What a completely illiterate statement! "Show"? Is that ALL you see as "the steelband movement". You MUST be locked in the "Panorama" mindset, for pan history is more than a "show". It is a history PARALLEL to the US's Civil Rights Movement. It was more than a "show" to Canon Faraquhar, Albert Gomes, and many others, who understood the socio-political aspects of the struggles the "pioneers" faced. It was NO "show", when Africans were stripped from their continent, and forced to remove ALL memory of their "Africaness". Maybe, it was a show for the plantation owner (and I question your lineage, for if you are "Black", you MUST  be one of the fortunate "house negroes"), but for the "field negro" it was not a "show". It was not a show for Sarah Baartman, Ota Benga, the African-slave practitioners of capoeira in Brazil, nor the early inventors of what is now called a "pan". The steelband evolved as a result of the need of a cultural expression of a people removed from their Motherland; their "connection" to AFRICA. It is, in fact, the plantation-owner class's rabid desire to be "entertained" that our culture became a "show". (Refer to Sparrow's calypso, "Slave", as to the origins of calypso.) Obviously, you have no handle on this topic, for you would know that American blues existed LONG before it became a "show", and was no "show" for the Delta worker, who sang to keep himself (or herself) for going insane. For your information, the early pioneers were more than "planners", "organizers", and "financiers"; they were MARTYRS against an oppressive, colonial society, who saw "pan" players, as "hooligans", and the music they produced as "noise". Were it NOT for the efforts of my dad and other pioneers, none of your "performers" would have been considered to be such. They would have continued to be "noise-makers", banging their "pagan" African rhythms. When my dad wrote the Pope, for example, steelbands were disallowed from playing hymns. Even after the Vatican's favorable response, the Roman Catholic community in Trinidad & Tobago remained adamant in its opinion of pan music being "the Devil's music". Meanwhile, steelbands in the US were using Esso Tripoli pans, playing religious music abroad. NONE of the major social advances, came about by improvements on the invention (of the instrument); rather from the stalwart work of pan's pioneers, supporters, and sympathizers. Fact is, while my dad remained in Trinidad, fighting for the rights of the local pannists, Ellie (and others) immigrated abroad, with the mindset: "TO HELL WITH TRINIDAD." Questions: How many times has Ellie Mannette returned home since immigrating? What contributions have he made to the local pan industry? What has he EVER done since, that has not been in his best interests, but for the "betterment" of the industry? As for your claim of "universal acceptance", your MUST obviously have very low expectations (like "hearing a sweet chune" every year for Panorama), but I, and the rest of the pan fraternity, have much higher expectations. Because, at the end of the day, in most cases, especially in a "tourist resort" like South Florida, a pannist is no more than an "show"; an island prop, like the fake coconut trees, white pants and "island shirts", to utilize when that "island vibe" is needed. Universal, should mean that we would not be seen in such a stereotypical context. Thankfully, Othello Mollineaux and others, have killed that stereotype, but, in my opinion, my colleague, we are a LONG ways from the "universal acceptance" we seek. I can only hope that not all in the pan fraternity are as contented as you obviously are. You go ahead and "enjoy the show"; me, well I'm the descendant of a revolutionary in the "steelband movement", and as such, have a much more meaningful purpose than entertaining others, or being entertained. Indeed, for many of us, pan is more than a "show". Thank you, for "showing" us where your loyalty lies. You are obviously disconnected from "pan history", and, as such, I expect this topic to be WAY over your head, which it is. All I can say, brother is educate yourself on pan history. Then, hopefully, you can have a greater appreciation for your "planners", "organizers", and "financiers", the likes of whom, apparently, you have included my dad, George "Sonny" Goddard. 

Ghost

• Hey, The Ghost who talks, I agree with all that you are saying about your DAD, but it's uncalled for to be suggesting  that Steve is a "house negro", that is very poor taste, you will only cause people to be against you.Why cant we all agree to disagree and act more civilized? I enjoy these topics, but we should not get too personal, peace to you

• Bede, if you can assume that I "will cause people to be against me", I can also make assumptions about what, by my judgement, like you did, is most logical. ANYONE who follows my post, will know that I am not competing for Miss Congeniality, and ALL courageous people in history, spoke the truth (about fact and gut feelings), regardless of whom may be offended. Please define "civilized", as you see it, for I think you must mean "non-confrontational". I think of myself as "civilized", and FYI - IT IS PERSONAL!!! Who feels it; knows it, and that is why I made the assumption, in Steve's case. "House negro", has now come to be used as a metaphorical reference, and based on his assessment of the "field negroes" (which in this case can be taken literally) of the early steelband movement and their contributions. Funny, you don't find Steve's statements "in poor taste". As for those who may become "against me", all I can say is GREAT! Because they will be the people who see the WARRIORS of THE STEELBAND MOVEMENT (not "SHOW") for who they truly are, and not Steve's "planners", "organizers", and "financiers". As Bob Marley sang: "I'll never forget they crucify Jessus Christ...sold Marcus Garvey for rice...turn their backs on Paul Bogle..." And in Trinidad & Tobago - did not appreciate the works of George "Sonny" Goddard. And if you were a TRUE "panman/panwoman", you  would appreciate the sacrifice of steelband's "field negroes", while you enjoy the "SHOW" in the safe, and comfortable warmth of the massa's "house". All, metaphoric, my friend, and to, again, quote Bob, "Who the cap fits, let them wear it." Again, historically, their have ALWAYS been "Judases" in the pan industry, and some of them will be on WST. What, should I be afraid to offend them? Finally, EVERYONE does not have the same "taste", and what may be "poor" to you, is EXACTLY "de kin'ah pepper sauce" they seek. HOT. SWEET. AUTHENTIC.

FYI - Look and see what is the No. 1 topic on  WST; "NO DAMN RESPECT" BY LADY GYPSY. Not everyone is offended by truth, my colleague.

In closing, thanks for the blessings, but, really, I don't want peace. WE WANT EQUAL RIGHTS AND JUSTICE!!!

• I think that all these afore-mentioned Pan- Pioneers should all be inducted in the ''''Steelband Hall of- Fame'''. There is a long list of people who has made meaningful Contrubutions to the Steel Pan Culture, but we cant be going around giving everyone of them  the Country's Highest Honor. We cannot please everyone. We are all thankful for everything that they did, but we cannot waterdown our Highest National Tribute. We must all remember that  ''''Many are called!  ??????????????.............

This reply was deleted.