Replies

• "It depends of how music speaks to you, but though musicians are not prophets, they certainly sometimes come very close to saying something that we may not be normally hearing with our normal ears."  Pat Bishop after hearing Trinidad All Stars  1993 performance, true then, still true now 2012.  Play Yourself. Nuff said, Smooth rules.

• Panorama is always a special time for many of us. One of our revered pan prophets - Pat Bishop in 1993 affirmed, "The arrangers manage to find something that really touch the cutting edge of where the society hearts collectively speaking are."  If we actively listen we can hear the voices in 2012, they seem to be saying in unison, we are a  resilient people, sensitive and capable of great things despite the many challenges.  In 2012 I hear a hopeful message in the music.  Thanks to all who make it possible for these voices to be heard.  Play Yourself.

• How does one define Panorama. Panorama is about the Spirit of Carnival. What is Carnival- Carnival is about gaiety,  jam jump up and wave  etc.T.here are several competitions for the Steel Band. There is the Steel Band Festival where the bands showcase their talents in interpreting the classics. There is the Pan in the 21st Century where pop music, jazz etc is skilfully expressed. In my humble opinion the band/bands in Panorama that gives me that feeling of gaiety and jam are the ones that interpret the Spirit of Carnival. However the judging has only five points for Spirit of Carnival.  So be it

• I think the prophets that have departed would have a lot of encouraging words.  Of the living, I find delight in the music of Smooth and Trinidad All Stars. He is indeed smooth. His music has both gentle beauty and emotional power.  In this years arrangement of Play Yourself I hear the collective voice of the city in a true communal celebration, one which seems to transcend socio economic and racial conventions.  It is an exciting and aggressive style informed by the energies and frustrations of youthfulness but securely anchored by an internal logic that comes with maturity.  A unique sound, rhythmically complex that always seem to speak of possibilities, changing moods and the true beauty of Trinbago.
  • the prophets of pan have to hanging their esteemed heads in  disappointment after listening to the standard of music being presented this year. They are probably very much not satisfied with this years adjudication also........

This reply was deleted.