When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Do we have anybody on this Site that can relate to the Steelband Clash with Invaders and Tokyo (I think it was 1950) EG: like where you were at the time, what you saw? or what you hear from your Parents or your friends, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeyvpBznVnA

Views: 6271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I may say Mr. Jordan, the late George Yeates himself told me that he, and others, was the negotiator for the WITCO sponsorship for Desperadoes. This actually did take effect in 1965, and come 1966 carnival, Desperadoes began to wear the WITCO. In 1965, I was privileged to be standing on Frederick St. by Stephens&Johnson's looking at the band on their float, and enjoying the sweet arrangement by Beverly Griffith of Kitchener's "Hold on to Your Man". They were, at the time, the Coca-Cola Gay Desperadoes Steel Orchestra....and I am not in lala land sir. May I also respectfully suggest that this talk site is meant to be a learning curve for many who would love to be informed and educated about our pan heritage of earlier times. It is supposed to be healthy, fruitful, and rewarding. There is no issue of rivalry here, in any form or fashion, and contributors have every right to write their thoughts, and ought to be able to do so in a healthy atmosphere.

That having been said, allow me to congratulate you on your musical arrangements with Fascinators Symphony over the years, and also to let you know that I admired your dad, "Madman" Jordan as a major contributor to the steelband movement from the Eastern region of our country.

Glenroy, Valentine, where are you? I am thinking that Sparrow sang "Royal Jail" in 1963, while Kitchener's contribution that year was "The Road". "Jean and Dinah" was 7 years earlier, in 1956.

Ed,I think "Jean and Dinah" was in 1956 and "Royal Jail" was in 1961, and also You are getting "Leslie Michael Jordan" mixed up with the other "Jordan", "Leslie Michael Jordan" is one of "Anthony Williams" from Pan-am North Stars Students.  

Hahaha Bede..I have to laugh at myself. Do you know that while writing that part of the post I was questioning myself about whether I had the correct Jordan? I salute you for the correction, especially as I had never before heard about this Jordan. Thanks.

We have "Jean and Dinah" spot on for 1956. However I hold very strongly to my memory of "Royal Jail" being in 1963, but, so that we can have clarity, I will check Sparrow's discography. I believe it can be obtained on Wikipedia. Anyone can source it. I recall enjoying both his and Kitchener's "The Road" in the same year.

Yea ED, the other Jordan is somewhere in Australia, his name is Lennox Jordan, "Leslie Jordan" was under Anthony Williams and Herman "Rock" Johnson. This Leslie Jordan is a very good tenor man and a Good Tuner (especially with the 4ths and 5ths) I have seen, heard and played his Pans before in Washington DC in the 80's.

By the way guys, any contributions to those 3 questions that I asked? I am very eager about hearing what your thoughts are. Peace and Love.

Mr. Lopez, I concede...yes, "Royal Jail" was in 1961 and was the road march. Thank you for the correction.

ED, I knew it was in 1961, I Played that tune on the road with City Syncopators, I remembered in the beginning of the Chorus, We were flicking the D with C# in the key of G on ah Invaders Tenor. (In those days, I didn't know bout what Key we were playing in, Now I know, Those were the Days Oui)

Bede Boy. We will always remember as Old Tenor Men in the Sixties the Old Invaders Tenor with the Low F# in the Center of the Pan. It was an Easy Pan to Play. Good Old Days Bede.

Oh yeah!  Leslie Jordan is in fact one of the first pan prodigies; he was playing tenors in Cairo as a child. Yes, Cairo, that band from Belle Vue (in the house!) was technically a predecessor of the great North Stars.  Many Cairo players moved on to professor Tony Williams.  I was a child but I remember as if it was yesterday.  Ask Leslie?

d

There are several things that hamper Pan's return to the road in a meaning way.1 Music tastes have changed so that music played by pans on the road do not attract the crowd as before except the diehards Most of the bands that do make it on the road do their panorama tune and little else.2 The Panorama crowds are on a "line' rather that a love for pan so that as the results are announced that's it for Pan. When the panorama tunes were well known [Kitch,Sparrow] there was a greater following since the public could follow the main melody and its developments.Even the bomb tunes, if any, is no longer attractions.No more Ebonites' Roses from the south, Invaders Face the music and dance. Starlift's I feel pretty
T'dad All Stars Anniversary waltz. North Stars Valencia etc.The attendance at Pan Festivals attractive crowds only at the final. Th prelims and semis have poor audiences.I support Silver Stars and spend the last weeks following the development of the selection for Panorama and so eventually would know every phrase of it. when I go to the semis and finals, I don't know most of the "own" tunes so the whole experience is lost to me since I can't follow the tune and the developments.

mor Teddy Pinhriro

RSS

© 2021   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service