When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The large bikini Mas bands have abandoned the Savanah for the Socadrome. The greatest steel orchestras in the world are playing to an empty Grand Stands at 3:00 am in the morning. And the streets of Port of Spain as Mr. Rubadiri Victor showed are empty on Carnival Monday and Tuesday. Maybe this is truly an opportunity for the steelband to go back on the road.

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/photo/meditation-on-the-traditions-...

Views: 4510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Power of Corporate dollars continue to corrupt/change what has been our cultural identity.

This continued assault and programing the minds of our youth via the internet technology “applications” via Smart phones, iPad, Smart TVs are giving us convenience and turning us into robots; artificial intelligence is fast becoming a replacement for common sense and mature thinking.

The performances at the Soca Monarch and the quality of their stage productions showed me how much damage can be done when a nation and its people prostitute their art-form. This product is now called Digicel International Power Soca and Groovy Soca Monarch.

Pan Trinbago has already decided to continue its cozy relations with the corporate sponsors at the greens; it won’t be long before we start hearing the brand name Digicel Steelband Panorama.

It's not lost, it wasn't stolen-but it has strayed. And it didn't happen suddenly, nothing ever does, we just don't pay attention. Gradually and over time fences and gates went up, fees were charged, lines were drawn, 'rights' were claimed, for broadcasting and reproduction of images, (copyright is good, but it is supposed to benefit creativity, not stifle it) .Then  the all inclusive bands clogged up the streets with containers of all kinds ,  the only jam in town was a traffic jam ,( like a bad day in  the port), the vendors left, or were restricted to areas where they couldn't make sales (so they didn't come back). Spectators stay away, because there is not much to see, and , unless you ar part of the all inclusives, it is hard to find  anything to eat or drink, not to mention half decent toilets .

Competitons proliferated, but instead of the allround entertainment of Dimanche Gras  or  tents of not so long ago, narrow categorization became the norm, bureaucratic criteria ruled, all this agreed to and  encouraged by the leaders in mas, pan and kaiso.When you hand over over all decisions of what is of value in mas pan and kaiso to judges with 'criteria' and the power to issue awards and rewards, you hand over ownership of your mas , your pan, your kaiso to various governing bodies, elected and appointed. Gradually and over time the commercial interests took over, and greed stifles both joy and creativity.

But when I see the empty streets of Port of Spain, I see opportunity. The streets have been cleared of Pee-pee containers, music trucks with mega power  and the over priced, mass produced, imported bling masquerading as mas.

This  is  the time to start over. But don't look to 'government' or the various organisations to do anything except allow a parade route, grant licences and provide some security. Don't look for hand outs and grants and nods of approval from perceived higher ups.There is no need for nostalgia, those of us who were fortunate enough to experience the golden years , should only feel deep gratitude for what was, not regret that it is no longer.  And It is not time to 'take it back', because it wont come back, it is time to create a new golden era, with a new genertion- and this time around to own it . The music is still there, the talent is greater than  ever the possibilities are endless . And the streets are clear . 'In time to come'- the sky is the limit.

Lilian,

Thanks for the insight, my question is, who’s going to take the lead?  Based on this review/report called "progress" I'm expecting more of the same. "In time to come" sounds hopeful, right now no one is willing to start the CHANGE process in creating a new golden era, far less owing it.

Pouchet: Carnival 2016 planning starts next month

Sunday, March 8 2015

CHAIRMAN of the National Carnival Commission (NCC) Lorraine Pouchet, who was yesterday praised by various stakeholders for her management of Carnival 2015, says planning for Carnival 2016 will begin in April this year and everyone who receives NCC funding will be held accountable.

She said NCC will have basic plans and the majority of arrangements in place by June and stakeholders may be called at a moment’s notice and the idea was to plan early to have structures in place in a comfortable manner.

Pouchet was speaking yesterday at the NCC Carnival 2015 Review Meeting at the VIP Lounge, Queen’s Park Savannah.

She said the review will form part of a report which will be tabled through Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas to the Cabinet to support requests for funding.

She said that NCC, while it has improved its organizational structure, had abdicated its responsibility to provide managerial structure and this was being worked on.

“Everybody in receipt of funds via the NCC must be held responsible,” she said.

Douglas, in his remarks at the event, noted there has been a lack of accountability for stakeholder interest groups which received funding and there must be accountability for distribution.

He also said Carnival needed to be less state dependent and more controlled by the people.

Pouchet, in her report, noted significant logistical progress in the Panorama competitions, as well as traditional Carnival competitions and celebrations, inclusive of the Stickfighting competition, Kings and Queens Competition, and the Re-enactment of the Camboulay Riots, and an improved route for the Socadrome.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,207976.html

This is a joke, right? What does being held responsible by this group of people mean? Isn't Lincoln Douglas the person who lost 150 million dollars? http://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/carnival-budget-mistake...

These are people who just gave us empty Grand Stands. The Socadrome people are going to bite them in the ass. Up to now they have not explained why the Socadrone people have left the Savannah and why they have sanctioned it.

What exactly is the relationship with the Socadrome people and the NCBA?  Madness?

Keith Dias, David Lopez and Lincoln Douglas = trouble, trouble and more trouble.

bugs

I keep repeating Lillian , that the steelband is the missing ingredient in today's carnival parade, and there have got to be modern ways of reintegrating the steelbands into the carnival street parade without being nostalgic or returning to the past , but , deliberately or not , many choose not to hear what some of us  are saying.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you, particularly as I thought that's what I just said, nuh?

I agree and probably All Stars being band of the year for 2 years running could be a sign of things to come.  Steelband was not given to the people.  The people invented steelband.  The people need to support and play mass in the steelband again.  Then, maybe, things will change.

The Majority of the Pretty Mas comes out on Tuesday, why can't they Judge Carnival Tuesday Mas as the Band of the year, Combining Mon and Tues for Band of the Year isn't working, The Best of the Best always comes out on Tuesday,

True Bede. True!

It worked all the time until mas players decided they dont want to wait 4hours to go onstage forcing the band leaders chose to parade in woodbrook (hence socadrome),all big bands bypass cmpetition(hence empty stands and down town streets,mas has evolved to bath suits with feathers,Monday half costume (wonder why all stars won,they play full costumes both days,and go to downtown venues)
Lilian Sten I love your optimism. I think at the end of the day pan men hold a good hand in that the show can't go on without us.How we play our cards is another matter.

That's and Illusion my friend, Steel Band no longer plays an important part in Carnival. There are more large Steel Bands on the road in Brooklyn Labor Day J'Ouvert, than in Trinidad J'Ouvert. The Government susidise Panorama, without the Government input there would be no Panorama. Now dig this could you imaging on Carnival Monday the best time All Stars Masqueraders had, is when their DJ played their record of Woman on the Base. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service