... EVERYBODY VEX WITH ME because TRINIDAD PAN MUSIC does not equate with GLOBAL PAN MUSIC. 

Sorry Folks!!! 

DOH BLAME ME!!! ALL I DO IS LISTEN!!!

In THE BAY AREA if you are driving down the road and switching channels you can hear 25 different genres of INTERNATIONAL MUSIC in 5 MINUTES. And it does not matter what country the music is from -- it has a certain CONFORMITY. 

MEXICO alone has so many variations -- you have to HIT YOUR JOINT every time they switch from TIJUANA to SINALOA ... but it all MAKES SENSE even to a FOREIGNER like me. 

But when DEM TRINI PAN MEN start TO SOLO -- ah REAL TRINIDADIAN LIKE ME... DOH HAVE A CLUE .. ah real Trinidadian like me who eh come on NO BOAT.

And dem TRINIS out here try to convince me for 45 years that is ME WHO HAVE THE PROBLEM -- well DEM FOREIGN JUDGES make meh THROW AWAY MEH MEDS ... and meh psychiatrist tell me that I doh have to come back for NO MORE SESSIONS because I EH MAD!!!

Lord have mercy -- ah waste 45 years of my life arguing with people who only have a 1981 square mile musical vision!!!

Ah went to NEW ORLEANS one time for the MARDI GRAS and I came back home with a CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL ALBUM (SWAMP ROCK) -- because even the REDNECK BACKWOODS MUSIC make sense to me feeling the LOCAL VIBE.

Ah next time I went to a DONUT SHOP in BERKELEY and I hear some CAMBODIANS doing a MIX with AMERICAN POP and I buy that and drive down the road enjoying it. 

Doh talk about RAI from THE MIDDLE EAST -- ah love that music too bad as if I grow up there!!!

The first time I ever heard ANDY NARELL play THE PAN 40 years ago at THE GREAT AMERICAN MUSIC HALL in SAN FRANCISCO -- ah say "LORD TRINIDAD IN TROUBLE". (I document that already on THIS FORUM,)

I went to BRAZIL for the CARNAVAL in the mid eighties and identify Beth Carvalho as a super star without knowing a word of Portugese -- even dem locals down there try to fight me on that.

I will not even tell allyuh the SHABA RANKS STORY with me and DEM JAMAICANS!!!

Ah leave out REGGAETON -- I think that TRINIS could master that GENRE and GO GLOBAL with it ... but they are MISSING THE BOAT!!!

One more thing ah leave out: Being on THIS FORUM, WHENSTEELTALKS introduced me to and made me listen to TONS of music that I would never have heard otherwise!!!

But even though I born and grow up in TRINIDAD (and I am a REAL TRINIDADIAN -- I eh come on no boat) -- that ACROBAT on PAN TING doh sound like REAL MUSIC to me. 

I have always wondered what some REAL INTERNATIONAL JUDGES would think about that -- NOW I KNOW!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –