When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

KEEP PAN IN CARNIVAL by making it MANDATORY that all Panorama finalists in all categories make and appearance on the road on Carnival Monday or Tuesday or face being discipline.

Many Steelbands in all categories enter Panorama and if they fail to move on to the next round pack up their instruments and wait for appearance and assistance to bands payments and you will not hear from them again until next Panorama. Why can the powers that be make it mandatory for all panorama finalists in all categories to make an appearance on the road Carnival Monday or Tuesday or face being discipline After all we want to see and hear PAN on the road on Carnival days and not Panorama alone. Steelband and Calypso is our culture and belongs in Carnival, Visitors come from all over the world to experience our culture, Expats are keeping our culture alive all over the world and the locals must do the same by KEEPING PAN IN CARNIVAL. 

Views: 907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Increased tourism"?, "business profits based on steelband and cultural activities"?, "increased national income"? Sounds good, real good. When is all this going to be realized? This is T&T, a cultural failure. The only thing that increases nationally is crime, fraud, corruption(bobol). Money is the problem in every segment of this society. Oooops! I actually meant GREED, which is politics spelled backwards.
Take the money out and inject some love of the art form .......nah.......dais goin' backwards.
Excuse the almost redundant 'backwards', but English does not allow me to find another word.
We could live in hope, and that's good. I like reality.

Casper Durant, the answer, 'eat ah food mentality' over the years. This also caused the panorama to be divided up, so many can get a piece of the pie. i.e small band, medium band, and large band categories. Another thing, 'judging pan in panyards' total nonsense. Eliminating dimache gras. All these stupid changes takes the fun out of a true panorama champions steelband of the year. Everybody is ah winner (mediocrity galore) . Everything is seriously watered down. Today with no money in the coffers due to lack of oil and gas revenue, hopefully some pan culture can come back to the streets on carnival days.

Money, Money,is the key,  why don't they  have a Big Prize for the Winning Steelband on the Road, Best Beating and Best Mas,  !st Prize One Million, 2nd Prize XXX 3rd Prize XXX,  PLUS xxx $ for being on the Road, Steelbands will come on the Road, even the ones that did not Qualify at Panorama. Tell that to Pan Trinbago, the word is INCENTIVE, Bands will invest into coming on the Road because there are INCENTIVES, (More people will also come to Carnival because of the Steelband),

Punishing Steelbands will not do it, Give them IINCENTIVES for being on the Road and they will be there, the Country will make so much money they will go crazy trying to spend it, lol

I wonder what approach the Jamaicans used with Reggae, Marley? What approach the bajans used with tourism? Honesty and integrity? Machel is trying to take calypso int'l and we dogging him. Yellow and ready, red and ready Buh we eh ready.....not yet.
The only thing that is keeping the steel pan part of our culture alive is PANORAMA and that profits a few.
I wonder what approach the Jamaicans used with Reggae, Marley? What approach the bajans used with tourism? Honesty and integrity? Machel is trying to take calypso int'l and we dogging him. Yellow and ready, red and ready Buh we eh ready.....not yet.
The only thing that is keeping the steel pan part of our culture alive is PANORAMA and that profits a few.

Pan Trinbago can't even make rules to equitably run their pet event, Panorama…who gives them the right to tell Panmen what to do on Carnival Days?…I for one rather sit in front of my TV set and watch woman bottom shake than play pan for free in Port of Spain…I repeat the only way to ensure pan on the road for carnival is money. I'll tell you for free…it may even make more sense for small and single pan bands to hit the road for carnival days only…properly compensated…than to fight up with Panorama…at least on the road we guaranteed an audience…but we must be paid, no freeness…if I had to choose between the road and Panorama in that sense I will choose the road...

That is a real good idea, except nobody will listen to it. But it makes the most sense in so many ways. Like smaller bands -- less instruments to transport and less players required to get the music going. And it fits into my BOTTOM UP approach to things. After a few years, BIG AND SMALL  might be back on the road for carnival.

Merrytones: last week I suggested to the NOSTALGIC BRIGADE that they contact one band in T&T and investigate the cost of bringing the band on the road for carnival and then they subsidize the effort from their elevated perches in FOREIGN. Now that you propose your small band on the road idea that could be a good starting point with ONE SMALL BAND.

We have been on the road for carnival with our daughter single-pan band Icewater for the past two years competing with success in Jouvert morning competitions…we walk, only because its a small unit of about 15 people…nothing heavy to push…as long as there is a profitable reason to be in Port of Spain on any of the carnival days, we in dat.

Bands could be hired by the various municipal corporations to perform, even stationary in some instances. I could see bands interchanging on Independence Square from morning to night on both days. The same could happen in Tunapuna, Arima, Scarborough, San Fernando…all over… All it takes is creative thinking. They have Pan-In-de-Countryside…not so?… Well do it for carnival too...

Creative thinking and PROGRESSIVE ADMINISTRATION. "Even stationary in some instances" (SOME BANDS COULD PARK UP ON A CORNER AND JAM) as long as PAN IS IN THE CARNIVAL. You could re-revolutionize the CARNIVAL with these ideas. Seriously!!!

Claude, yuh have to thread carefully on dis carnival days playing on d road fuh money. It have big bands get contracted to play fuh Mas bands, wid half d money already paid in dey pocket, an aint turn up to play on carnival days eh! I am not saying that money would not solve the carnival day issue with steelbands, but all things are possible with todays steelbands and TRINIs in carnival.

Doh let we fool we self, steelbands today is NOT like longtime! AND YUH STILL CANT FORCE TRINI TO DO AH WUK ON CARNIVAL DAYS! Somebody post "Doh ask meh to wuk fuh carnival" by Kitch! odw whey yuh??

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service