When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

IT IS TIME PANTRINBAGO INCLUDE FOREIGN MUSICIANS IN THE PANORAMA FINALS. AS THEY HAVE DONE IN THE MUSIC FESTIVALS. THIS WILL ELIMINATE JUDGES WHO HAVE THEIR OWN HOME TOWN BANDS AND ARRANGERS

They should stop throwing out the high and low scores and add everything together.

They have audio deficiencies in  their musical analysis of what is good music.  desperadoes music of Hammer Time is a musical  GEM and they by passed this for Jam.

Musician

Views: 2516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you Trevor. One even wants to tell us what is a Panorama tune. That's my "Last Word".

That "one" has done more to put 'pan' on the world stage, than any local. So what is a 'panorama tune"? Do you know? The "Last Word" is constructive criticism. "Foreigners, both local & foreign foreigners, have a lot to offer, after all, we mimic them in everything we do.

When we decide to move outa we cocoon, we'll be well on our way to 2nd world status.

Nicely put Patrick!! definitely

You could not of said it any better. I agree 100%. That's ah we ting. But there are some flaws and they need to be examined. As a huge fan of TAS, I would agree that they did not play well enough to be 2nd. Their tune of choice "Bounce and Drive" didn't have that ummph if you know what I mean. Taking nothing away from the winners, their tune of choice was an excellent piece. It was Melodious Melody from start to finish. And in my opinion Renegades should of been a clear cut 2nd. No ifs, buts or ands. A very possible tie for 1st. Had they (TAS) chose "Shock Attack" it would of been a horse of a different color. Bu that's just my opinion. But I do agree to what you're saying.

"WE TING" has not gone anywhere in 50 years. "Melodious Melody"?? Try Skiffle Bunch.

well foreigners already teach you how to do business in trinidad and own lots of business , you trinis dont own.....i know that has not much to do with music and what you said ....but it came to mind ....and in a sense a little fresh wind in how to portrait music and its culture might even be more respected and cherrished by ousiders ...
plus it might give more reasons to get more young players back to wanting to play and being recognized not only in trinidad but elsewhere with their pan music !

Music is a universal language, calypso is not. When judging a panorama piece it's the musical content. Calypso is mostly about lyrical content. It seems that panorama judges are confused as to what they are judging since they always seems to place bands playing more popular tunes in the top three positions regardless of the relevance its musical content.

Just a correction "they always seem to place bands playing more popular tunes", in my opinion, should read "they always seem to place the "popular" bands playing any tune"

I agree 'foreigners' doh know music. BTW If we listen to the 'music' I/s/o our favorites(fgn spelling), we may hear something different i.e music. Confusing?? It's meant to be. Yeah, outa all of them , I heard Ray Holman and Skiffle Bunch.

Agreed

Yes, it would be good to take the politics out of it all and only judge based on the music. The more musically educated & diverse the judges are, the more chance that the judging will be unbiased. I'm shocked at the results this year, personally. After seeing all the bands perform, I honestly can't wrap my head around HOW Depers came in 6th...just doesn't make any sense. Musician

I am a Phase II supporter, but I also cannot understand the Despers placing for this year and last year.

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service