Liam Teague

Global - “I simply want to create music that will touch the heart, soul and intellect of the masses. If that brings Panorama victory one day, then that would be the icing on the cake.”

In an exclusive interview with When Steel Talks - panist extraordinaire, arranger, performing artist and educator Liam Teague shares on Panorama 2016, and more, UpClose!
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah fed up of people wanting to change panorama judging to accommodate arrangers like Liam and Andy Norell. It is they that have to adjust to the judges standards. Sure they have a lot of success outside, but this is the Mecca of pan and they have participated as players in other bands-Andy as far back with Phase 11 with Pan Rising-so they have an idea as to what the judges are looking for. Let's not shed tears for them but encourage them to get with the program. 

• I was privileged, yes, privileged to hear this piece of music come together -as Liam indicated, when you hear all the nuances and subtleties, the very core of what Panoramic encompassed, the musicianship, to see the excitement and dedication and the pride of the pannists, I couldn't help but share in this excitement - to hear the 'whole package' as played on that final night and to just know that everything that could be added to ensure, rather, guarantee a high placing in the competition results was there. Liam is beyond his years in arranging, pretty much as Peter Minshall was to mas, when he first started. My only hope is that somewhere along the line, those that hold the decision making for judging steelbands that performed as exquisitely as Silver Stars on that special night would find a way to honor them in the appropriate manner. Liam, kudos to you and Silver Stars on a Super Excellent Performance at Panorama 2016!!

• "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" The idiots that run the bands, the regular panyards, want to maintain the status quo, stuck in mediocrity. They balk at any attempt at improvement, for fear they may lose their positions to people with an advance level of thinking.
    These are the people that's holding up progress, not Pan Trinbago.

Excellent opinions from Liam.
    • Patrick: And don't forget all the EXPATS who want to take PAN back to the SIXTIES with MAN PUSHING PAN ON THE ROAD -- they balk at any attempt at improvement!

• I am a pan fan and I met Liam a few years ago in Dallas at the Richland College annual pan festival. He is truly a promoter of the instrument(ation) for his pursuits at NIU and locally at Panorama( thanks to JP). Adjudicating at a small scale presentation of pan music( ians ) including 3rd grade elementary school students chaperoned by very mature adults who also played and giving a seminar as well does wonders for TnT. Seeing him on the big stage is growth for and International recognition of pan.
    Thanks for the interview piece and he is right in his viewpoint.
This reply was deleted.