When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Show ’em you’re world governing body for pan

Minister of the Arts and Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas has challenged the executive of Pan Trinbago to prove to the world that their organisation is “The World Governing Body for Pan”.

The challenge came on Wednesday evening at the Lord Kitchener Auditorium, National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) at the launch of the logo for the International Conference and Panorama 2015. Pan Trinbago proposes to hold the first International Conference and Panorama (ICP) in 2015, from August 6 to 9. University of the West Indies, St Augustine (UWI) pro vice chancellor and principal Prof Clement Sankat is the Patron of the ICP. The conference will deal with topics such as The History and Development of Pan, The Science of the Instrument and the Applications used, Recent Developments of the Instrument.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Show-em-youre-world-governing-b...

Views: 2265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

odw,

T&T is already known as the Mecca will someone tell that to Mr Diaz.

What about France, Japan and China?

Cecil,

I quote Peter Blood "the most ambitious being the staging of the first-ever international Panorama contest next year." Do you think Diaz could pull this off?

From the report the bands will be invited and their performance will  most likely be in a Finals competition. We all know what goes on in the annual Panorama competitions.

Hopefully this August 2015  Panorama will be different, they don't have to spend money on the foreign bands. Local bands could get sponsors to foot their bills for transportation etc...the good minister will write them a check to handle Prize money and expected expenses.

My guess it may be an outside event August holidays and hot sun, they bring back the pool, advertisers looking for market share and the best part markup ticket prices.

This will be big and the sales pitch will be, no foreign steel band will come here and win a panorama.

You can't beat that he pulled off the Steelband Music festival without much sponsorship.

odw,
My attitude toward anything Mr Diaz and his people does regardless of how good, is, you were NOT chosen by voters, two years ago his mandate finished. He is leading now because he HIJACK the leadership of PT. Respect is not given, you have to earn it.  

About him pulling it off, that's left to be seen. Bringing a band of 60-70 to T&T could be quite costly how many bands can afford to do that.

This is where Standardization was important

Well where are the efforts of the T&T Government and Pan Trinbago to Stadardize The Steelpan?

So you know what it does, you love the sound it makes - but what is it, exactly? The Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards describes the steelpan as "a definite pitch percussion instrument in the idiophone class, traditionally made from a steel drum or steel container. The metallic playing surface is concave with a skirt attached. The playing surface is divided into convex sections by channels, groves and/or bores.  Each convex section is played by striking the pan with sticks to produce musical notes." That should help you describe it to your friends!

Some think that whilst it maybe important in the long run, it's not a priority at this stage of its historic development.

Cecil. Keith Diaz don't listen to anyone. He is an Opportunist. Could You Imagine that this Man Spent most of his Pan life with Starlift sometimes in an Administrative Position. Then left Starlift and became the PRO of Desperadoes Steel Orch and within Two Years He became the President of Pantrinbago. He is Loyal to no one but Himself.

There are so many things to consider  for an international panorama to become a reality, and I  doubt it can be done by next year, and done properly.

For example, what time of year would be most advantageous for most parties, local and foreign?

I assume you'd want participation of  bands from places like Toronto, New York , London, and the Caribbean, and August seems early, since it may conflict with the foreign panorama competitions, and new York's winner won't have been decided as yet.

I would suggest October, but by then kids are back in school, and many players are school age kids.

And I'm sure those international bands would want to see how they match up against several Trinidad bands, not just the T&T Panorama winner.

A decision would have to be made as to whether it is best to admit the international bands to compete at a semi final level, since we would want the results to have meaning, and not be one of those fake "world" contests that no one takes seriously.

And would band have to bring their own pans, or could they "rent " pans (at reasonable cost) in Trinidad.?

What about housing and transportation for players and instruments.

Who will fund them?

It is an admirable project, but would need thought, planning and coordination between Pan Trinbago and international steelbands and their organizations.

And it will probably take small steps, such as inviting bands from in the Caribbean and seeing how that works before considering North America and Europe.

I'm sure there are many more things to consider. These are just a few, off the top of my head.

To first "prove to the 'world'," that anything is "the 'world governing' body" for anything speaks to first clearly understanding what "world" and "governing" mean. What part/s of the world do we refer and is/are being governed? 

By now, the "world" should have known about the "history and development" of pan, but then again, what part/s of the world? The carded August 6-9th 'International' Conference is said to be addressing "The History and Development of Pan, The Science of the Instrument and the Applications used and Recent Developments of the Instrument," but I'm thinking, based on interacting with internationals from as far as Sweden, Indonesia, India, Switzerland, Africa, England...to an astronaut, many have already studied these areas except the latter. They were so mesmerized by this Pulsating Amazing and Noble creation, that they took it upon themselves to do their own studies and experiments.

Coming out of a Renegades 2004 steelpan workshop, an Indian UWI student  (from India) -- who was a participant -- stated that she's actually grateful for the opportunity as she was finishing her music course and her choice of instrument was the pan. She stated, "in India, we have found the instrument to be mesmerizing, and realized it does something to humans when you both play it and hear it. Our science and music students (back home) are studying the instruments to see what about it invokes an excitement...," and that was four months shy of 10years.

The 'world' is depending on us for answers, but in realizing those  (answers) coming forth are either slow in coming or are not sound, they (the people of the greater 'world') are doing their thing.

A person of the 'world' came to "the mecca of pan" and played for Panorama, but guess what?

He and his four music colleagues (all music graduates, one with a pan ensemble and teaches at a University) said quite brazenly that "you'll didn't promote pan, it's 'we' in the bigger world that did. We can't learn anything else from you'll in pan, but we come for the Panorama excitement to boost our list of Experience profile...."

And so, I hope the "International" Conference can really shed some sound light/education on the 'world.'

Are you'll aware that many of us are not aware that one of the world's most prolific musicians, Liberace, promoted a TnT steelband back in the late1960s named Tripoli, and had them tour with him for two whole years?

Liberace of all people, and today, pan is still struggling for prominence in the 'world'?

Desperadoes performed to a packed audience and received standing ovations at the famous Albert Hall? My God, I can't even remember in what year but it can be over 20-30 years ago.

Pandemonium Steel Orchestra performed at the prestigious Super Bowl game and the 1976 Olympics?

And the list of world performances is so long it can wrap around the 'world,' and we are still struggling to get this instrument to gain prominence in the world.

But then again, my question, what part of the world, and what will we be saying to the world?

In a television interview around the Panorama season, on set, the presenter asked the representative of a/the champion Panorama band, "how do you'll feel when you go 'out there'?"

The guest replied," when we perform, people treat us as though we are 'celebrities.'

And I chuckled, and said, we really don't know of the 'world.'

For the WORLD recognizes quality and winners as celebrities. You win in any world competition, and you automatically become a celebrity. The problem arises when the winner isn't properly managed/guided after that to keep that momentum up!

Love my pan brothers and sister!

Gotta run!

Thank you for that Sandra, thank you.

I wonder if the President, Minister, UWI Chancellor - are aware that Keith Diaz is BLOCKING - Pan Trinbago Executive Election for over 2 years - is these Honorable Gentlemen encouraging CORRUPTION in Pan Trinbago - Ghost keep the fire burning.....we go bun them.....

Gavin, It makes you laugh to see how they involve all these distinguish people with Mr Diaz.

"Pulsating, Amazing and Noble" (Sandra Blood) that's P.A.N. That's where the similarity ends. Matters not who takes over the pan body, pan goes nowhere because of those who are forever associated with it.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service