National political interference in Pan Trinbago election 2018.

By Aquil Arrindell

By the time most bandleaders read this, the election would be over and by now, most bandleaders have already made up their minds. Therefore, this is just an overview from where I stand. But, before I start, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that I deliberately did not use my articles as a political weapon against anyone and allowed all candidates to campaign without any burden from my compositions. All of the information I am referring to is already on mainstream and social media, all but the political interference, which came from other credible sources. We have eight presidential candidates, four of whom have major slates and the rest, some small alliances. Here are my views of the slates and their candidates.

Robert Amar, a very impressive presenter, however, those who are actually part of the pan movement will know some of the things he has been presenting are just not practical. However, if he had a team of experienced pan people around him he would have been more relevant. He is also facing an uphill battle for not being involved in the pan movement which includes attending pan events and attending general meetings. He and other (presidential and non-presidential) candidates were not even interested enough to at least attend meetings. Most bandleaders who do attend meetings think that it is a disrespect as it seems that those candidates were too big to come to PT’s meetings.    

Mr. Dupres’ problem is the same as Mr. Amar. Though it seems he is not as passionate based on his presentation style, his connections and experience would definitely be a plus. What is also working for him is that he is the PNM’s chosen one. However, I don’t think any independent presidential candidates would win this election.

Miss Tekla Rodriguez has just not been visible.

Mr. Morancie has two persons running with him, though the electorate is not taking his team as a serious threat. Morancie is very articulate and carries himself in a dignified manner. He comes to PT’s meetings regularly but, because of allegations of misappropriation as chairman of the Eastern region, he is not one of the more popular candidates.

Darren Sheppard’s team was dormant for most of the campaign, but, in the last week, he came out with guns blazing. People from his camp started slinging mud at all the other candidates and he, in an interview, at 90.1, took shots at some of his presidential opponents, and then suggested they all work together when he wins. Finally, in an act of desperation to win Tobago’s votes, his slate posted a picture of them with our former president Patrick Arnold, who is sick, for political mileage.

Keron’s and Beverly’s teams are equally contrasting. At the beginning of the campaign, they both gave the impression that they’d got the nod from the sitting political party, however, after investigations, that is not true for either. There are further allegations that a directive was given to ensure that they are both unsuccessful in tomorrow’s election.  Keron and Beverley’s slates are full and they appear to be powerful. Beverly’s alleged week-long cruise, in the middle of the campaign, caused her to miss the presidential debate which contributed to her team losing ground. So much so, that she even lost quite a number of Tobago voters. But, her major setback was due to the fact that, hours after Beverly’s slate was launched, social media started to question the credibility of a large number of her candidates. Allegations of dishonesty and incompetence plagued her campaign. Members of the pan fraternity questioned her ability to lead as she did not do a proper job with her first task as the prospective leader of PT, which is choosing a suitable team. Keron’s problem is reversed as the talk on social media and other sources is that he has a history of financial misappropriations and his alleged last act would have been a month ago with the large band he resigned from. Whether these allegations are true or not, they have been a dark cloud over his entire campaign. Although his team is made up of people who appear to be decent people, bandleaders are questioning their integrity and intentions as it looks like they are helping a person with alleged fiscal issues to become the next president of Pan Trinbago only to selfishly advance their own ambitions at the polls.

The Keith Byer team’s popularity has been continuously climbing. They started slow off the blocks but to them, choosing the right people for the job was more important than getting a head start. Having a manifesto of do-able initiatives was always more important than ‘pie in the sky’ goals. Mr. Byer did not come without dark clouds himself. He was one of the first candidates to appear on WACK Radio 90.1 and his main agenda at that interview was to put to rest the allegations against him associated with CARRI Pan. He presented minutes for meetings as evidence that showed the money used was from Pan Trinbago’s credit card for the competition, which was only available to Patrick Arnold. In the weeks to follow, because the mud slingers could not use CARRI Pan again, they created new propaganda, which said that his band took a loan from Pan VESCO. Again he cleared the air on that on national radio, ‘It is a loan and it is being paid back’. Despite these allegations concerning his band’s finances, he has continued to be sought out by bandleaders and embraced by them.

In closing, I must thank all the candidates. Offering yourselves up for public service also means you are open to public scrutiny. It is not easy to sometimes hear the truth about yourself, far more for lies. Thanks for staying strong and enduring to the end. Good luck.

Lastly, thanks to the bandleaders for their patience with all the candidates and for your due diligence. I do hope you vote wisely this time.

As for me, win or lose, I will continue to be your eyes and ears on the ground. Thanks for your support.

Aquil Arrindell

Peace and love, happy elections.       

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks to the WST family for your contribution towards my development.

Today is a beautiful day regardless of the results.

Love you all.

Mr. Claude I saw you finally got the polls right. 

• this election is serious to all stake holders.

i blame no one. 

god's will is already written and we are just acting it out.

• NCC, however, through the candidate which it is backing in the race is only promising to pay money due to steel bands and saying that  Panorama 2019 will be on, as scheduled ... Sharmain Baboolal.

Aquil: Yuh read SHARMAIN article and repeating this line about NCC and Government backing candidates in the race. If yuh run ah GOOD CAMPAIGN and PAN MEN LOVE YOU -- nobody could beat you. Ah hope up eh making excuses already blaming GYPSY and LUCAS and DOLLY for RUSSIAN ELECTION MEDDLING when yuh LOSS!!!

This reply was deleted.