Youths from Republic Bank Right Start 2011 minor’s literacy programmeGuyana - The Republic Bank Right Start minor’s literacy programme for 2011 has concluded graduating some 115 youths from region 4, 6 and 10. General Manager for corporate and management systems for Republic Bank Denise Hobbs stated that it is another initiative that helps to make a difference in communities and they have witnessed a resurgence in the steel pan fraternity.

“At Republic Bank we hold fast to the belief that we all have a role to play in positively shaping the minds of our youth, helping them to realize their potential, hone skills, and dream of real possibilities beyond their present circumstances and popular culture” Hobbs said.

She added that the programme which commenced in mid-July has improved and developed playing skills while affording an appreciation for the history of the art form. Meanwhile, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Culture Alfred King recalled that five years ago there was a decline in the interest of steel pan.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• With reference to the decline in the steelpan music in  New Amsterdam Berbice, as an old tuner/trainer and arranger,the decline has been in progress since in the earlier than the1980,s, which had also encouraged the migration of talented steelpan players, logically speaking ,it was due to neglence,,no interest, poor recognition,,no proper support from the relevant authorities and i do state this openly for i was a true and dedicated person towards this culture,to name a few  in 1980 from New Amsterdam,,/Berbice area The Berbice High School Steelband,,, The Hasslers Steelband at Congress Place,,,The Arrowhead Steelband Started and owned by an indian guy for Miami Florida namely Dinand.these bands i have made,,prior to this there was the New Amsterdam Fire Station Steelband in the year 1968 where i started as a pan player, thererafter was a professional steelband in the 1970,s at the New Amsterdam Penguin Hotel made and led by one of Guyanas great steelpan tuner trainer,arranger whom i believe is in the U.S.A. Mr Philbert Moore and i do speak of  quality steeelpans  which was very close to the qualitiy of pans that Pantrinbago /T&T is having at the moment, all has gone to a waste due to total neglence, disregard and we do say in dutch,,,waardering,,,to value something that have always had and will have a historical vaue and background,,these are the blatant facts,,,my quote is ,,,those who have ears to hear lat them hear, for the truth shall you free.god bless. 
  • EXCELLENT, RBL , a plus for the youths!
This reply was deleted.