"The migration of steel pans has escalated significantly from when they were first introduced to the United States. There were only a few permanent bands by 1980 (Williams, “Steel Band” 54). There were five by 1981 (Yancey1). In 2001, a reported 650 bands existed in schools (Williams, “Steel Band” 54). As of 2014, there were over 120 collegiate steel band programs; including grade schools and community ensembles there are over a thousand ensembles (Yancey 1)."

“The Narell’s and Mannette anticipate the day when ‘every school will have a steel band, as they do an orchestra, chorus or football teams’ (Tiffe, “The Arrival” 13).

Pandemonium: An Evolution of Steel Pans and its Place in Music Education Morgan Whitney Esarey University of South Carolina - Columbia

This is why we need VISIONARY LEADERSHIP in PAN TRINBAGO. And that is why PAN TRINBAGO has to expand its EXECUTIVE to include a few EXPATS (Fresh Water Yankees).

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BEVERLEY RAMSEY-MOORE: They say that all I ever do is CRITICIZE YOU and I never propose any worthwhile ideas; so I am giving you a LEGACY IDEA right now.

How about if you pursue a program to put ONE TENOR PAN (at least) in EVERY SCHOOL IN TRINIDAD. I am sure that if you hire a GOOD PRO he could accomplish THIS MISSION knocking on CORPORATE DOORS across TRINIDAD. But it cannot be another CORRUPT HUSTLE like DIAZ and FORTEAU was up to when they put all those BROKEN DOWN PANS in the SCHOOLS and TIEF most of the money.

For starters, access time could be scheduled for the use of the single instrument (if that is all there is in the school) and the school could have a dedicated PC associated with the PAN and students could access THE INTERNET and teach themselves a whole lot about music with limited direction from any TUTORS.

Think about THIS BEVERLEY: You could then go down in HISTORY as the FIRST PERSON to put PAN in every school in TRINIDAD.

Secondly, BEVERLEY!!! Beyond the PANORAMA OBSESSION, you should really consider making some PAN MUSIC for GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION. You have a decent market in the EXPAT COMMUNITY and their sphere of influence.

You see, THE MECCA is in a race with AMERICA for GLOBAL PAN DOMINATION but THE LOCALS don't seem to know it. So I am breaking ranks and trying to point you IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!

This reply was deleted.