Pan in De Countryside for 2016

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - A tsunami of Steelpan lovers descended on the little village of Tamana on Saturday 19th March 2016 as Pan Trinbago held the first in its series Pan in De Countryside for 2016.

People came as is the custom, from all over Trinbago, to be a part of this know-your-country community steelbands concerts put on by Pan Trinbago. The results were the same as usual. Most people never visited this village before, and would have never have found reason or just cause to visit this remote part of Trinidad had it not been for this initiative of the Steelpan fraternity.

The community concert was held at the Tamana Pioneers Steel Orchestra Pan Yard and started promptly at 4:00 p.m. by the evening’s master of ceremonies Mr. Richard Forteau, Secretary of Pan Trinbago. The participants were, Star Sapphire Steel Orchestra, who started the evening’s entertainment with their exciting repertoire. The performance was paused for a short period to facilitate the Catholic community celebration of their Palm Sunday March to the church at the top of the hill overlooking the Pan Yard.

This was led by visiting priest Father Nathansingh. The priest, as I was told, complimented Pan Trinbago on its initiative during his service, as quite a number pan patrons attended the service and received their palms. Following Star Sapphire’s performance was Option One, a new ensemble out of the area, consisting of steelpans, keyboard and bass guitar. They had most patrons shuffling their feet to the sweet sounds and choice of music.

By this time, we were graced with the presence of the Councillor for the area Mr. Rajkumar Bagaloo, Chairman of the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation Mr. Terry Rondon, who joined with the president of Pan Trinbago Mr. Keith Diaz to bring greetings to the growing crowd, and the newly-appointed Mayor of the City of Port of Spain, Mr. Kerron Valentine.

The concert continued with a scintillating performance by the Sangre Grande Cordettes Steel Orchestra of Sangre Grande, followed by a surprising and very entertaining performance by the host steelband, the Tamana Pioneers Steel Orchestra who had patrons dancing throughout. Tamana Pioneers represented themselves and their community with distinction.

Here again we were graced by the presence of our line Minister, the Honourable Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, and MP for St. Ann’s East; Minister of Public Administration and Communications, the Honourable Maxie Cuffie, MP for La Horquetta/Talparo; Mrs. Hermia Tyson-Cuffie; retired PS Ministry of Culture, Mrs. Christine Newallo-Hosein, MP for Cumuto/Manzanilla; Mrs. Diaz, Deputy PS Community Development; Ms. Susan Corbett, Director of Community Development, amongst others who choose to remain low-keyed.

After the ministers brought greetings, the entertainment continued with the Red Hill D’Abadie Limbo Group which literally went down low and the crowd showed their appreciation with loud applause. Next in line was Diatonic Pan Institute coming all the way from Siparia to delight the patrons with a splendid performance, and the ministers tapped their feet and shook a little to the pulsating rhythms of the steelpan.

Bringing down the house was the band most patrons stayed to the very end to hear, the eleven-time Panorama champions, and current Panorama 2016 champions Desperadoes, who played as only they can, and the fans danced and sang along to the very familiar numbers. They brought the house down with the crowd’s 2016 favourite Panorama tune, Different Me!

The evening was well spent. Everyone was happy to the extent that they all got they came for: a drive through our scenic country side to discover the village of Tamana, through the eyes of our National Instrument, the Steelpan. The people of Tamana extended hospitality and their various cuisines for sale, which brought into the community an increase of income-generating activities that was pleasing to all.

The president of Pan Trinbago, Bro. Keith Diaz, joins with his entire executive and Staff to thank especially the farmers, who held their Market and all products were sold out. Everyone got value for money. It was time well spent, in the true meaning. Special thanks to the priest who brought fellowship and Palms to those who desired and to the GOD that is a Trinbagonian for fine weather, Safety, Peace, Love and Harmony.

To the patrons and Steelpan Lovers, keep your ears open for your next know your-country-tour with Pan In De Countryside, where we promote Steel Pan and heightened village commerce. Thanks to the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, for recognizing the Power of the Steelpan.

Michael L. Joseph

Public Relations Officer
Pan Trinbago Inc. T.C.

- See it here...   

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bro. Ajamu it's not about the money lets's entertain the people and promote the culture.

• Hi Cecil,

Would you accept an invitation to come speak with bandleaders (eyeball them) and encourage them into putting their bands on the road? maybe you can, because everyone have been trying! Most of them do not see this article or come to this site.

Pan Trinbago will be happy, if you can make this happen.

• CARLYLE HOULDER, I appreciate you willingness to engage in this discussion, it is only when we "man-up" and acknowledge there is a problem will we be able to find solutions.

The first thing is we have to remind our people of the significance of the steelband to our culture, many don't know and some seem to have forgotten the PAN was born in what became carnival, this is why there must always be a place for the steelband in carnival.

Bringing steelbands back on the road will take us all, Government, Sponsor, Management, Supporters and Pan People. The Government is the key player here because a lot of things have to change, we are not trying to fit the steelband in carnival but the other way around, we are creating a carnival for the steelband. Designate carnival Monday for the steelband, now we challenge our young people to use the steelband, you help them Market and Advertise, using radio, TV, billboard and every other thing to create this vibe, this has to start from ash Wednesday  and build up to carnival.

This is just my idea, there are lots of people with similar ideas, we have to create a friendly atmosphere where we can have  positive dialogue.

PanTrinbago has to take a leadership role if we are serious, Pan in the Countryside and the other stuff they do is good but that won't make the steelband self sufficient getting them back on the road will, because they will have a sense of accomplishment and be motivated. 

all 

• Hi Carlyle, we agree that pans and pan players are not cheap. So my question remains, are pan players paid for playing at Pan in the Countryside? Also, who are the sponsors?

• Hi Ajamu,

I can tell you a resounding yes! Those who are not paid are the up-starters, but the experienced players are paid for each engagement that the band has. Nobody works for free again. In the 70's and 80's yes! but from the 90's you pay them to stay and it still is happening. i know because i paid a lot.

• Hi Cecil,

Your cry is heard man,but Its different now man. I want to let you know that we don't have pan lovers again (playing) The true pan lovers are the ones who are following the pan on the Countryside. I have attended a few well and you see the same faces all the time. Pan is on the road for Carnival, but not in the hot sun, not the young ones of today. Jouvert morning and that's it, they don't have the Strength to come back out on the road. My son plays with a band, leaves home Sunday nite to learn a couple road tunes. Jouvert morning, before 8am everybody freak out. Know what i mean? This is a different metal of humans man. We used to do that with ease.

Next experience: My wife and I gone down Sando to listen to Monday nite pan, supposed to start at 9pm. Organized by Pan Trinbago Southern region. Judges in place, police have the roadside Dj's under heavy manners. I see 10 pm no band, I ready to go, packing up to move one band arrives. I stay, man the pan players are Youths, I can't see them being on the road. look at the time, where are the men? Absent! Long ago I playing my tenor or bass on the road rolling and jammin up against another band. It used to be a battle to pass. I am sure you are aware that its 100 times worst now with 30,000 watts of power.  Children playing now. Their parents are removing them from that. leaders cannot do better, because that's the resources available now.

Many people have the same thoughts you have but let's face reality. Times are changing. Boogsie well fix Pan Trinbago and tell them do something for pan. Pan instruments not cheap again, and so too are the players. don't you know to get a good player to play now its about 1500.00  to play on the road? It eh free again. Those whom you are not paying "right away" have to be well hydrated and fed. Would you believe that some still run away. No sponsors again, you expect the band committee alone to stand those expenses. The total prize money for the road is 7000.00 provided you "Place" in any of the competitions. Ps. Bands have not been paid for 2016 as yet. Congratulations to those who can still bring their bands on the road.

• CARLYLE HOULDER, with all due respect Brother, everything you said here I've heard before, I strongly believe that there is a solution for every problem, it's just that people have grown accustom to seeing the steelband the way it is today so now there is a call for them to step out of the box they are scared, they are reluctant to try anything on their own, after all they settle for the lil kakadah after panorama and they happy, to bring a band has become too much work. and frankly I think they are making young people the fall guys, the only difference  between a young person today and one from the 60s is today they have a Iphone, they want the same things we wanted.

What we have today comes from years of negligence, elected officials who were responsible for the growth of the steelband  had their own agenda, now the steelband is reduced to 7-8 mins. of music on the stage for panorama and ah trip in the country side. My Brother when you build a mansion in negativity you start believing yuhself. I not going down that street.

• Actually , all this pan activity is great news to me.

I am happy to hear that pan people are finding different ways to celebrate the art-form in the land of its creation.

However , none of these activities could have the power , the appeal, of the internationally known Trinidad carnival as a vehicle to display and promote the steelband in its beauty and power to the world.

Like I said before , Trinidad's carnival and its parade are prime time for Trini culture , and we do a disservice to the art form and the culture if the steelbands do not have ,or are not featured in a major role.

As an aside , some of us seem to believe that steelband progress meant taking the steelband from the streets and putting it in the concert hall.

I disagree.

• odw, so the VIPs drive up in the country once a year in a Maxi or their nice cars to listen to pan, this is not helping pan to stand on their own, this is straight PR and the president plot to suck in the Minister of Culture.

• This is not doing something for pan this is doing something for the crooks in PT to cover their behinds amid all the criticisms.

This reply was deleted.