When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

"

Pan Trinbago will be hosting the first ever international panorama on August 2nd 2014. Five bands from your geographical area of North America will be allowed to partake in this inaugural event primarily on a first come basis or by merit where possible.

The event will take the format of Trinidad and Tobago traditional panorama, and foreign participating bands will be afforded the facility of using racks and pans from Trinidad which will be idle at the time.

Please respond to this email by 31 May 2013, indicating your interest, after which the following will be sent to you:

·        Rules and regulations.

·        Prize structure and appearance fees.

·        Application forms.

Please note that your response to this email is not a commitment but an intent/ interest. All commitments will be realize upon completion of the necessary application form.

For further information please contact Mr. Richard Forteau, Secretary at 623-4486 or email: tashajeremie@pantrinbago.co.tt.

Looking forward to your involvement in this historic event."

Views: 3172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In principle, I think that this is a great idea of an International Panorama competition for a few reasons

1. It broadens the scope of this cultural phenomenon called Panorama which has been diffused to many parts of the world.

2. It provides another outlet for Trinidad to express its culture

3. It is away from the Trinidad  Carnival season

4. If it is handled correctly with the proper international concepts of marketing and revenue sharing it could prove to be a good revenue earner for Trinidad & Tobago and subsequently the participating bands.

I know that on this Forum there will be totally different views and that is a good thing because the differences will explore areas that would otherwise not be taken into consideration ..this is my first take on the issue.......

Salah

Salah what happened to Pan in the 21st Century, Pan Down Memory Lane, Pan on the Move and World Steelband Music Festival,

Salah you just came through a gangster situation in terms getting chump change for your players with Pan Trinbago. What would be different?

bugs

I totally agree Salah. But who is managing the money and where will it be coming from?

Well Bugs,

Like I stated in principle it is a great idea and I stress my fourth point

"4. If it is handled correctly with the proper international concepts of marketing and revenue sharing it could prove to be a good revenue earner for Trinidad & Tobago and subsequently the participating bands."

Sometimes you belong to a country where you may not like or agree with the government in power but that is what democracy is all about if they enact laws that you do not like ( for instance the Patriotic act of USA) you still have to abide by it until you can get an election and elect a different government you have no choice but to follow the dictates of that government ... I guess it is all the same with our situation with the Pan in Trinidad.

But through the media and public consultations, governments are kept in check and this Forum is evident that we keep the Steelpan organization in Trinidad and elsewhere also in check.

We have seen some  concrete results that have occurred simply because of initiatives from this same Forum ... The simple Preliminary Panorama funding which was reduced to $800.00TT  in the time of your friend the Gypsy is now back to $1000.00 it is a small victory but nevertheless a point of mention and recently we have had the release of the payments for this year 2012 Panorama. There are also other things worth mentioning

My point is that everyone is paying attention so accountability is a very relevant situation today and everyone should be wise to take heed.

I live in Montreal and the Mayor a few months ago had to resign for the same set of in accountability because today everyone and everything is visible ( EVEN WHAT WE ARE WRITING AT THE MOMENT).

So that said and done we have to wait and see if , when and how it materialises... but I support the idea knowing fully well that a lot of planning has to go into it ... As a matter of fact as we speak right now something has just occurred to me and I am going to write them immediately and request of them to rethink the schedule because it is a global thing and I do not believe they took the global schedule in Context as a friend of mine Egbert Gaye was discussing with me ..for instance.

They have indicated August 2nd. 2014 and this falls exactly on the Toronto Caribana Weekend ( THIS DATE IS A BAD CHOICE) because over 1 million people from all over the world attend this annual Festival  and if Pan Trinbago is thinking Global they need to consider the international dates of these major Festivals ..it is the same as if they put it on Labour Day in New York or Nottinghill in England ..you see my point .

so already we are contributing in this discussion .... this is my second take on this subject

Salah

Yes Salah, the gypsy should not have messed with the WST forum. I am told that there were people in high places who were not pleased with global whipping the gypsy took in the forum and it made the T & T government look real bad. I will not deny the positive influence the WST forum has in these matters.

But Pan Trinbago is different, they have no shame.

bugs

One question, Salah, Bugs:

Most steelbands in the north consist of 25 players or less.  The average "big band" might have 40+ players.

Do you know if any provision can/will be made for truly small steelbands? Or is there no option for their participation, unless they are NIU, Pantonic or larger?

Thanks, Peter

Good Question Peter,

What Pan Trinbago stated is that they will soon send out more information , rules , regulations what is expected  ..etc.. so we will have to wait and see what are the stipulations or accommodations, or reservations as regards all relative information which would include size of the band ...they have already stated that Trinidad will provide Pan Racks and Pans so that will eliminate freight cost for bands outside of Trinidad ..... when we hear from them we will relay the information

Salah

".....foreign participating bands will be afforded the facility of using racks and pans from Trinidad which will be idle at the time."

Idle.......From a business perspective would mean an opportunity for orchestras to generate rental (separately or combined) revenue for racks, pans, panyard practice times inter alia.......independent growth potential for orchestras to provide ancillary services to the event....participating indirectly to its success.

Providing that there is a framework with criteria for selection of yards for provision of these important services....submitted humbly for consideration.

Lindsay

Excellent point Lindsay,

Non participating bands should be able to reap some benefits for the use of their facilities ..this is why the Forum of discussion is so important that every nook and cranny will be scrutinized .... the end point could be something worthy and constructive and that will benefit the entire Pan Fraternity. If this discussion continues in all civility with everyone speaking up what's on their mind I am sure that officials of PT  would probably step in to clarify positions

Salah

How are they going to choose the bands to represent T&T and who is going to make sure the bands from foreign meet the standard ot T&T bands?

Who is paying for the rental of pans that the foreign bands use.

Cecil this is the preliminary information that they sent out

"Five bands from your geographical area of North America will be allowed to partake in this inaugural event primarily on a first come basis or by merit where possible."

They must find a better way to choose the foreign bands, the band that come first might not be the best choice.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service