Replies

• i see this as a good fun idea it's a start to get a larger international audience.Take for instance i have a friend that never heard about any international bands until i had to sit heer down and make her listen.My point is i probally would not have even listened to some of these bands if i didnt see.
    • bugs bugs i hear what you're saying but u taking it way too serious man. this is just for FUN~!

seems like we all gettin we pantie in a tight bunch about pan all the time these days. Now here's a very fun and creative something, just for kicks, and still yet we MUST go on and on about this lil fun thing TOO? sheesh, i need a break man.

i personally thinks it's enjoyable & VERY clever, and i must give Vine some creativity props....he's doing SOMETHING even if it's just a fun creative diversion, something to enjoy while i'm stuck here in the cold with no hot pan!....! --- and that's how i will approach it when the time comes to listen and (haha) "vote" -
      • I understand what you are saying Catt. That's all good, but we have to hold people who take leadership positions to much higher standards. Any ten year old can put together a video play-list of their favorite mp3 or Internet videos on YouTube, share it with their friends on facebook and the likes and get everyone to vote for the best one with their smart phone. That was over three years ago

I'm down with "fantasy pan", just like the NBA's fantasy basketball or the NFL's fantasy football. It's just that this version of fantasy pan will again leave us bringing up the rear and billion of dollars behind all the other fantasy industries. Is there a reason why the panman must always be in make believe land and not get paid?

If we are going to get into the fantasy games arena, let's at least do it right. So when is the X-Box version of Phase II going against Renegades in the panorama fantasy wars coming out? LOL

Maybe I'm expecting much too much from these guys. Nevertheless, I feel the pan world should be an industry that is up there with everyone else. That can't happen if we have our people doing stuff that is mindless at this juncture or not on par with whats happening now.

bugs
        • "when is the X-Box version of Phase II going against Renegades in the panorama fantasy wars coming out?"

oh GEEEED -- NEVER i hope. i guess i am different.
          but i really have no pressing need to "mainstream" pan and pan-related things. one of the things i love MOST about the pan world, is that it's NOT THAT.

of course i am all for we panmen/women being fairly and well-compensated when we play gigs, make records, etc -

but i have zero interest in mainstreaming pan into the status quo music industry with the over-commercialization, phony marketing, watered-down formulaic-production, and the "all-about-money, f**k the quality and forget-about-tradition" way of doing business.

but regardless of all that - i still think you're bein 'pissy', and making way too much bigbrain analysis of something just intended for a bit of silly fun & enjoyment......
        • I can't disagree with you on certain points. especially being up there with everyone else, I have been calling that for years..

Money is not the be all and end all for me, oh no maybe i shouldn't have said that because you will probably have some fancy basketball or drug related analogy for me.

Also it is very hard to hear you talk about fantasy stuff when you look like and have a name like Bug.. LOL

Seriously though I can't answer some of your demeaning and patronising points because that just adds unnecessary fuel to the fire but i will say this...

I think that passion for anything you do is important and if you want a debate that is not 8 or 10 hours apart email your phone number to me at radio@thepancafe.com and we can do this on my next show, and I am sure we can stir the pot a bit..

Wether you meant to or not, I do thank you for making this Panorama World Cup very intriguing..

Vine
  • Relax, Bugs it's just a fun thing. We can't be serious all the time.

Hopefully, since there is no prize, it may even encourage pan people to listen carefully, and to appreciate bands they may not be familiar with.

Have a little fun.It won't hurt
    • Glenroy don't u think it is a little bit embarrassing that the word "listen" has not come up once until you just mentioned it in reaction to my post. Lakers are having fun and they are getting paid, and for showing an accurate representation of what they are good at. They also are presented in the best possible light, because their camera work and other related factors are professional.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for all the bands that people will be listening to in this "world cup." And you did mention "listen carefully"didn't you? The bands may have put on great performances to win their competitions, but not all may have been properly recorded. Here its not about a prize, but how your musicianship is heard. And yes, we can be like the Lakers and get paid, while working, and having "fun."
  • It was Reigning world cup champions... which silver stars was..

and Mr Bugs No need for Bah Humbug behaviour, this is a festive competition.

On this forum there is so much talk about demise of steel Bands, this is something to show that there is unity and fun in the pan world...

the alternative is do nothing and moan
    • So what exactly are we judging here besides recording quality? How much is the prize? There has always been unity in the pan world. Pan has always been fun for anyone involved. The demise of the steelband will not end because of an imaginary competition based on recordings. One would think that there would be higher goals at this juncture in the steelpan music history.

bugs
      • Hi bugs,
        Thanks for getting back to me, I will try and answer your points that you raised in order..
        Recording quality is out of my control even though i have tried my best to make them as level as possible.. There will be a page for people to interact this year we are calling "you the judge" this will have marks out of 10 for arrangement, General Performance, Tone and Rhythm.. and then a comment about the tune it self..

Well Prize money, well there isn't any. I have informed all bands that it is all for fun, so anyone who doesn't want their band involved just has to let me know and i will take them off.. also if a paying sponser came through that would obviously change.

Good to see that unity is out there, and yes fun is why i and people like you still involve ourselves in this great music.

As for your imaginary competitions point I make you about right, but hey thats how things go i suppose..

and last but not least I only pray that there are higher goals to strive towards.. The one good thing though is that just like rubbishy things on TV and Radio there is always an off switch..

Just to add this as like most things especially in the music world, popularity is something out of our hands. you either moan about it or not

thanks again for your great response, you are more than welcome to join in or decline..

Vine
This reply was deleted.