Pre-carnival suggestions

2 friends and myself will be in Trinidad Feb 9 through 17 (traveling on the 8 and 18.) I have been before but my friends haven't. We all play pan and that will be our focus. Any suggestions on what we should try to see and do while there? Semis are for sure on the schedule. Are there any panyards that we should make sure we get to? Should we go to all of the prelims? We will be staying in Diego Martin. Any suggestions on what do do for money...US cash, convert, credit card? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Danette, Gavin gave you good advice about facebook use it.

• I wouldn't begin to know which Trinidad facebook site to start a discussion on. Plus there is an air of familiarity with this When Steel Talks community having pan in common, which is the focus of this trip. Somehow it seems not as safe to have this discussion with total strangers on a facebook site I haven't been following.

•     Denette, Is it possible for you all to rent a car in POS? it is not all that easy getting around POS especially in the night with public transportation. You should be VERY concern about the safety issue because T&T has a high crime rate and 3 white people waiting for a bus or maxi at night becomes easy target unscrupulous  people. I hope that here on the forum we could come up with a plan so that you and your friends could have a  enjoyable time in T&T.                        

• Cecil, This is what I was asking about, What race Denette & Co was? Be mindful, If you all from the British or Canadian country you all will be fine as far as Renting a Vehicle because in Trinidad its Left hand drive like the British..

• I always found hanging out on the drag at the semis preferable to sitting in the stands. You can get up close to the bands, hear their tunes more than once if you want., move , dance, lime and meet other pan fanatics. Have fun..

• I have been to Panorama several times once in the stands and once on the drag. I prefer the drag also. I love being up close and being able to walk around and hear and watch the different sections. My favorite memory was being by the band that was next up to play. They were of course playing their panorama piece. But as the crowd started to push them to the stage the all started playing How Great Thou Art, it seemed spontaneous but probably they always do it. It was one thing to hear them play a calypso song that I wasn't familiar with, but to hear them play such a familiar tune gave me goose bumps. This trip since I have friends with, maybe we will do the stands on Saturday, go out on the track for a while and then decide what to do for Sunday.

• Denette,

It's good if you and your friends move around with someone that lives there.

• Yes, that would be great if we knew someone there.

• Denette,

I hope that you are aware of what goes on in T&T. Be careful at all times.

• Cecil: Hook Denette up with some LOCALS, nah man!!!

This reply was deleted.