Sweeping changes for Panorama 2020

Trinidad & Tobago Newsday - Joan Rampersad

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Following an extraordinary general meeting of Pan Trinbago and its membership on Tuesday at Communications Workers’ Union Hall in Port of Spain, Pan Trinbago president Beverley Ramsey-Moore (pictured right) confirmed sweeping changes to the format of Panorama 2020.

To get away from the clashing of pan events with all-inclusive fetes and calypso shows during Carnival, Ramsey-Moore said the new schedule will allow them to spread out Panorama.

“Panorama must not be boxed in by Carnival! We have to create a new experience because we want people to buy in more to the various categories,” she said.

The medium band prelims will be held January 14-17, opening of score sheets on January 20, semi-final on February 9 at the Queen’s Park Savannah, the same day as the large band semis as is normal, but the final will be held in Tobago on February 15.

Large bands preliminaries will be held between Sunday February 2 and Tuesday February 5, with the final being held on Carnival Saturday as usual...

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Change is inevitable, because it comes with time. But dam time is timeless.

• After Ms. Beverley Ramsey Moore settles the 2018 Panman's remittance debt, I would be inclined to suggest to her, Pan Trinbago and Panmen to not speak medium bands Panorama in Tobago in Isolation. Other major stakeholders (including the financiers, The Government) critical in ensuring the success of a venture of this nature, must be a part of the planning process, which I suspect should have already started, considering the forward planning and coordination required to efficiently handle the logistics associated with an event of this nature. Sea/air transport availability and efficiency for "Panorama cargo" (pans/ stands/floats/trailer trucks/increased volume of cars), regular cargo, sea/air transport for players, supporters, officials, visitors, officials, Tobagonians, regular travelers etc, the synchronization/alignment of shipping/flight schedules, the supply of trucks/trailers in Tobago to satisfy the short term demand that would be created, are some of the factors that Ms. Beverley Ramsey Moore, Pan Trinbago and Panmen, in isolation, have no control over, and must work with the relevant authorities and suppliers to ensure the success of this initiative. This would be great for Tobago, and quite likely Pan Trinbago too, considering the inherent potential, and it should spike commercial and economic activity for a period beginning before, and extending after the panorama has ended. I see a brilliant long term initiative that could be put in place by 2021/2. It may not be advisable to rush in, in 2021, as the negative longterm impact of improper hurried planning may enormously outweigh the limited personal gratification that may accompany.

• Russell 

I agree with you that if done right this could really be a win for everyone.  However, I don't think they can deal with both the Trinidad and Tobago Panorama at the same time. The runway is too short.

There is still the issue of what the people want to hear. Duvone Stewart arranged for both Renegades and Pan Elders and won with both. No one is talking about Pan Elders.

Look for all the Tobago bands to move to the Medium band category.  The economics make more sense and the stress levels will be less.

bugs 

• RUSSELL PROVIDENCE: Don't tell me that you switched TO THE DARK SIDE!!!

Lord Have Mercy!!! After MARCUS ASH break my heart today -- you come and jump on the BEVERLEY BAND WAGON and STAB ME AGAIN!!!

All I could say is that I EH GOING AND DEAD SOON -- so I will be around to throw some shovels of dirt on THAT GRAVE!!!

• "Pan Trinbago and Panmen, in isolation, have no control over, and must work with the relevant authorities and suppliers to ensure the success of this initiative."

DEVELOP a BACK-UP PLAN, get NAMES, cell phone NUMBERS of the DECISION MAKERS,  PROVIDERS/CONTRACTORS.

Will they have a designated EVENT COORDINATOR???

HOW will SUCCESS be MEASURED???

Shadow - If Ah Coulda

• If these changes don't work, we are looking at the end of the medium and small band Panorama competition. A return to the original schedule will not be an option. 

bugs

• Ramsey-Moore suggested, and the executive voted on it. Well, that's not a dictatorship, is it? No, democracy at work.

• SHEEP!!!

WHEN THE MAXIMUM LEADER makes a SUGGESTION -- Yuh think yuh brave enough to "UNSUGGEST" (ah just make up a word) that!!!

Ah even think that the last meeting was ILLEGAL -- but ah will have to check meh UNFACTS!!!

• No sheep. There's a message in there..somewhere. I'm surprised you didn't get it.  Claude.

• Yuh running a GLOBAL ORGANIZATION (THE WORLD GOVERNING BODY OF PAN) and you have COMPLETE CONTROL over the PRIMARY PLATFORM in THE WORLD -- and all you could think about is PANORAMA PANORAMA PANORAMA. And making it a YEAR ROUND EVENT with the GOVERNMENT pouring MORE and MORE MILLIONS into the 180 STEELBANDS.

What is that old adage about PUTTING ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET ....

This reply was deleted.