Caribbean Intelligence

I streamed the stream

On Carnival Monday last year, as thousands in the diaspora sat in front of their computer screens, minimising the window every time their boss walked by, the Carnival Monday feed on Trinidad’s state-owned Caribbean New Media Group (CNMG) suddenly went dead.

And history looks set to repeat itself this year. The last-minute rush to secure broadcast rights, one month before the bands hit the streets, shows that no new steps were taken to create a strategic, holistic plan to streamline the process for future years.

In late January.... David Lopez said the NCBA was still taking tenders from media companies to broadcast and stream the parade of the bands. However, that same day, CNMG announced that they had obtained the rights to broadcast, but not the rights to stream. 

The statement quoted CNMG’s chief executive Ken Ali as saying: “We are disappointed in that we have been curtailed in terms of our internet streaming, because we have hoards of visitors around the world who depend on the internet streaming.

“But still, we have secured what we consider a good package.”

When Caribbean Intelligence© contacted Mr Lopez again for clarity, he said, “Well if they say they have the rights, then I guess they have the rights. I don’t know. This is Trinidad, people could say what they want.”

When asked who would be streaming the parade of the bands online, he replied: “NCBA would be streaming on its own.”

Related issue - No Pan on TV - 50 Panoramas Later in Trinidad and Tobago  --- “A Public Flogging!!”

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –