Chairman of the Pan Trinbago Eastern Region, Mr. Vernon Morancie, will be hosting a media briefing at its office, 133 Eastern Main Road, Tacarigua, Monday 12th September, 2011 at 11:00am to highlight the plight of one of its members, Arima Golden Symphony.

According to Mr.Morancie, Pan is once again in danger as the Panorama 2011 Small Conventional Champions were evicted from their panyard, Arima Priority Bus Route Mall and their instruments scattered and exposed to the elements.

The eviction was ordered by the PTSC to make way for a new transportation hub.

Mr. Morancie, his Executive along with members of affected steel orchestra will be in attendance.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pan is not only our gift to the world , it is a gift to all Trinbagonians. To be the ones blessed to invent this instrument, to be the number one in the world in something, a position which all countries will envy. from the day when ah man realise that you can get more than one tone from a barrel to today when it is being embraced by countries all around the world and some ah we don't even treat it with the respect it deserve. If you is ah Trini well you have a clame to fame even if you never lay stick on ah pan. The men and later on the women who devoted them selves to this, and today the ones at home and abroad that is still dedicated to the only instrument invented in the 20th century and what is now an icon for Trinidad and tobago, deserve better than that.

• I have said it before that a steelband is a part of what ever community they are in and effort must be made to see that they remain a part of that community.
  • Pan in Wales, Japan and other places by people who see the beauty and joy of this great instrument, but in the place of it's birth, total disdain and disregard by the ones who should know be pushing it to new heights. Like they say." A king is never welcome in his home".
  • Can we have the facts, please. Did they get a 'notice of eviction"? If so, when? The facts, please! I could cuss Gypsy, Devant, Pan Trinbago, Tom, Dick and Harry but I doh have the facts.
  • This should be a wake up call to all the steelbands.  Do they have permission to use the premises?  Do they have anything in writing?  The days of sealing a contract by "word of mouth" and a "handshake" no longer exist.  If you would like to be in the big league, you have to follow the rules.  But you must know what the the rules are.  It is time for the leaders/owners of the steelbands to start looking at who has the deed to the property they are using.  Otherwise, they will all be evicted eventually if they cannot purchase the places they are using.
  • People...before we all jump to our conclusions and beat up on Gypsy and the Minister of Transport we need to first know the facts that surround Golden Symphony being located at the Arima Bus terminus Carpark for a number of years. I certainly don't know what arrangement (if any) that they had with the Transport Authority but I always found it strange that this highly successful band didn't have a panyard. Their instruments were housed in a container and their racks were located nearby in the said carpark. Now, I may get some stick for speaking my mind as usual, but here goes…All steelbands are responsible for the welfare and safety of their property. When one decides to start a band, to me the first and most important thing to secure is a place to house instruments safely and to practice etc. Squatting, moreso at a public site is risky. If as the news report says, the Transport Authority wants to upgrade their present facilities and they deem that Golden Symphony is in the way, they simply have to move. If after all the success that they have seen in the last few years they still can’t see the importance of finding their own premises, then they spinning top in mud. Again I don’t know what are or were the conditions of their tenure at the Terminus carpark but from my simple observation over the last few years, I can’t find fault PTSC for asking them to leave. We all have to put our houses in order, plain and simple.
    • Valid,,realistic and to the point,,,,the question is ,,,What has Pantrinbago  done  or is doing to alleviate or help out in the situation,???, was there ample notice given for remvoal of the instruments ,,the steelpan is a National Instrument/treasure,was there need for them to be handled in such a manner,,, ,lets face the truth.
  • Very sorry to hear about this situation and I feel for my brothers and sisters in Arima Golden Symnphony, sadly the Min. of Culture seems not to care much about the steelpan so dont expect anything there. I hope Mr. Morancie together with the Central Executive of Pantrinbago can assist in securing a location for this band which is the National Panorama Champs (Small Conventional) of 2011 
  • That is what you can get from  a man like  Devant"Deviant" Maraj who advocated the demise of all Muslims it is his day for what he sees as pay back Let us see how much clout GYPO Winston Peters has as a minister and what his take will be on the subject.POLITICS AND RACE are the two things killing the real citizens of T&T
  • I wonder what action is being taken by Winston "Jackass" Peters the Minister of all things Cultural.Or is he afraid to come up against Devant Maharaj,the new Minister of Transport and Kamla's latest "Pantyman"?
This reply was deleted.