Global - Members of Xalapa Steel Band of México were in Trinidad for the early part of the 2014 Panorama season, and took part in the preliminaries with Valley Harps Steel Orchestra led by Michelle Huggins-Watts. Eight members, six of them players, arrived in Trinidad on January 25. The remaining twosome from Xalapa were along on the visit for company, and to assist generally.

Though they very much enjoyed their overall time spent in Trinidad, because of the dates they would have to miss the semifinals and finals when Valley Harps moved forward. The group returned to Mexico February 9, but was exuberant over its experience. “We hope to go back again the next year!” says Xalapa band director and founder Eduardo “Lalo” Téllez. Téllez is a Percussion Professor in the Superior Institute of Music in Veracruz, Mexico and founded Xalapa Steel Band, the first in the country.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I first met Lalo Tellez at a Desperadoes Concert at The St. James Amphitheater, Trinidad in 2009.  We met for the second time this year. I was sorry that they could not have stayed longer. If you did not know, you may have thought that Lalo and his players were from Trinidad. (lol)

Lalo, I hope that you all can make it back to T&T in 2015, and thanks for supporting my pan books.

Peace and Pan     

This reply was deleted.