Your answer really doesn't address my question. The audio has been awful the last few years. Isn't Advance Dynamics the same company that produced the DVD last year? Are you suggesting that if I want to hear proper audio I need to buy the CD?
Let me add my 2 cents. Last year some of the shots were in 16x9 aspect ratio, but some wer shot in 4/3 which made the look inconsistent. The audio while clear is really always in mono. Considering the awesome high definition, 5.1 dolby surround recordings I make with my little camcorder, I really cannot say the Advance Dynamics stuff is really advanced at all. They get away because most steelband music collectors do not know what to look for.
I purchased the DVD and found the audio to be of high quality, I have a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up to my DVD and TV and the sound reproduction is great I can tell you I get the full Panorama experience with my Home Theater System and the audio this year is much better that the previous years. I believe Advance Dynamics sound edting leaves more to be desired because I purchased their other Carnival DVDs and they have mastered the sound much better they received international awards for their products. Its all in your personal taste.
DJ - you are so right. Advanced Dynamics feels the steelpan community will accept any quality. Their last few DVDs have been 'abusive' to the instrument and to anyone who knows what Panorama looks like, in my opinion. The production was lousy and amateurish. The choice of shots were insulting and the transitions were inept. If I had to turn this in as my project in school, I would have gotten a failing grade, especially with today's technology. There seem to be absolutely zero preparation for shooting this show. Again an insult.
Sadly it is common knowledge that it is only a segment of the Trinidad population that actually likes or cares about pan. Unfortunately, the camera people seem to fall into that category. But most importantly, their dont-care attitude shows (something like people who still believe that steelpans sound and look like garbage cans), and this is replacing whatever professionalism and pride that the advanced Dynamic people should have in their job, that should make the production as important to them as any of their other work. And to note at the end of it all, the ceo or president, whoever owns advanced dynamics, does not give a damn, he does not see the panorama production as damaging his 'brand.' It's almost as if the panorama gig does not exist, because all his or her company's other flashy productions, is their portfolio.
I will use the old guard (camera people) at the country's first television station, TTT. When their camera people did panorama, they still put their best foot forward - it was just another job, but it reflected them as professionals at the time. The same cannot be said for Advanced dynamics and their end product for Panorama. And we have technology now that was not avaialble years ago. there is no excuse.
Also, to Royce Russell - I believe that Pan Trinbago should give you more support in terms of marketing and advertising. It is incredible that given the interest in panorama that you would only sell a total of 40 DVDs. And thousands of people attended the event? You're not serious. And what about all those others who were not actuallly there, but would have wanted a copy?
Yes, advanced dynamics is an 'award winning' company. But you should find out from Advanced dynamics exactly what they submitted to win that award. I'll bet you they did not submit their panorama dvd production for that award.
First let me say that Advance Dynamics receives NO money to produce these DVD's, production costs are covered from DVD sales.
The irony of the comments in your forum is that we COMPLETELY agree with MOST of the complaints made.
But with that said we think it necessary to make some informed comments.
If you were to do research into Advance Dynamics Limited you will be ASSURED as to the extremely high level of productions produced by this company.
The Technical Requirements for Advance Dynamics every year since we started this DVD are as follows:
1. IDEAL CAMERA POSITIONS for EIGHT (8) CAMERAS
2. CUSTOMISED LIGHTING DESIGN INCLUSIVE OF UP-LIGHTING FOR UNDER CANOPIES AND ADDITIONAL CAMERA LIGHTS FOR HAND-HELD CAMERAS
3. SHOOTING IN NOTHING LESS THAN SDI IN THE 16:9 RATIO. SHOOTING FULL HD HAS ALWAYS BEEN OUR FIRST OPTION
4. 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AUDIO
It should be instructive to note that Advance Dynamics has been working with Pan Trinbago to successfully produce Panorama Finals DVD for the past 5 years. Our plans for Carnival 2010 started in September 2009. By the time we held our first meeting with Pan Trinbago, Advance Dynamics had already completely planned out not just Panorama but our entire carnival. Let us also clearly state that inclusive in those plans was the recording of NOT JUST Panorama finals on HD but also, the Parade of the Bands, Dimanche Gras, Junior Parade of the Bnads and our Award Winning Inside Trinidad & Tobago Carnival DVD Series.
In the five years that we have been producing this DVD it has been a long and challenging road from a TV/Video Production perspective. The Pan Trinbago administration expects nothing less than the best to come out of this production. This of course is alot easier said than done. As much as we (ADL) would LOVE to be ENTIRELY responsible for the ENTIRE production of Panorama Finals it is unfortunately not so...Advance Dynamics and Pan Trinbago have a very good working relationship but there are other parties that we need to work with once the Queens Park Savannah Stage is being used.
Firstly we had to completely change our normal technical arrangements re the recording of Panorama finals as CNMG got the Broadcast Rights and we (ADL) were informed that we had to use their Outside Broadcast truck to facilitate the multi camera switch of the event. Although their facility and team made working together a pleasure, we did have some technical challenges and compromises.
1. mono audio, no stereo or 5.1 surround sound
* With Panorama Finals taking place on Carnival Saturday night the DVD product is expected to be out by Carnival Monday morning. Unfortunately the process of producing the final 5.1 mix takes a minimum of 1 week so it is impossible to have the 5.1 discs available in the first batch of DVD's. Over the past four years Advance Dynamics has recorded 5.1 and produce a batch of DVD's that is made available after carnival. Advance Dynamics was the first company locally to produce a full DVD product in the 5.1 format when we did our very first Panorama Finals four years ago.
2. No HD or 16:9 video ratio
* In all previous Panorama Finals 16:9 ratio was the standard, but this year the 4:3 ratio reflected the limits imposed by the host broadcaster CNMG. CNMG provided technical support and therefore this was entirely out of our control.
3. Poor lighting on subjects
* Meetings were held with the National Carnival Commission (the facilitator of infrastructure and lighting) prior to Carnival, re having a unique lighting design for pan finals but unfortunately the promises and assurances made re lighting as well as camera positions were just that...PROMISES. Representatives from NCC could not be reached when we tried following up on these requirements.
4. Mindless shots, wide shots, amateurish video edits and transitions
* We always thread lightly with comments such as these while the other comments are objective “mindless shots and amateurish video” tend to be subjective reflecting the opinion of individuals. The Panorama Finals DVD is a clean up of the LIVE switch that was broadcasted on television so there were no 'video edits' per say.
Advance Dynamics is thankful for your comments as they only help us to improve our products. We just think that before pointing fingers and calling names people should get their facts accurate. As the producers of Panorama Finals 2010 DVD Advance Dynamics must take full responsibility for the product. We decided that despite the deficiencies it was still in everyone’s interest to bring the product to the market. It is unfortunate that Advance Dynamics is named and blamed for the low production values of a product that if we were allowed to do entirely on our own without outside interference would be excellent. We don't just say this but have enough actual work to back up these claims.
We believe that given the challenges faced, Pan Trinbago produced a near excellent LIVE show for their 'savannah audience'. We know now that they are very aware of the challenges faced for the DVD production. We will continue working closely with Pan Trinbago and all stakeholders to take 2011 to the level that we are capable of producing.
Hey, AD are you saying that CNMG's taking control of the broadcasting rights exclusively created this problem? Why did you team up with a company you knew would compromise your product? Your story sounds real weak. Are you saying that after five years Advanced Dynamics has still not worked it out?
Is Pan Trinbago's fault? Is it CNMG's fault? Is it the the National Carnival Commission's fault? Or is it just AD's fault for not having the professionalism to do the job properly?
I agree that the audio may not be of the highest quality,but name one company in tnt that has a high standard of video production,Advance Dynamics is one of the best if not the best in TNT .Please do a complete research before making comments you have no knowledge of.There will be a 5.1 surround releasing shortly.