by Gregory Lindsay

Questions to be considered when electing our candidates:

1. Does the band he/she is in charge of have a successful stage side? Running a band successfully all through the year is important. It shows the depth of ones’ management skills and the ability to be a team player. (Success at Panorama alone could be due to hiring a brand-name arranger).
  2. What is their position in their band and is it related to the post they are vying for? If they only served as a committee member with no responsibility other than to open the yard for practice, then it would not be advisable to vote him in as treasurer of Pan Trinbago because of his lack of financial management capabilities.
  3. What programmes has he/she been responsible for in the pan yards and by extension the community? Example: education officer candidates should have education programmes running in their organization. Public relations candidates’ bands should have good public relation programmes to boost the image of their bands etc.
  4. Consider the health of the person? Would the organization have to carry the burden of an unhealthy person who is staying home more than he can be on the job? We have just experienced officers staying away because of heart-related problems. Healthy minds and bodies are important for our officers.
  5. Consider the ‘era’ of the person. Is he/she up to the times; Does he/she know how to exploit social media? Could they send an email? Is he/she vibrant or walks around with a cane?
  6. What qualifications and experience does the candidate have for the task of the position. E.g. Degree in event management; Certificate in office management; worked as an auditor for a long period of time; Degree in music; Certificate in business of the arts; Law practice etc. These are the skills which would take the organization up to an international level.
  7. What treatment do candidates as band leaders issue to their players? Do players complain of poor treatment and lack of payment under the remit of our candidates? This would be an indication of how they view or may treat players. Some bandleaders view pan men as ‘worthless’. How would these men, as executive members, deal with players’ issues and concerns?

Our organization is close to insolvency. This means that the organization cannot pay what they owe and in most cases organizations like this have to shut down and sell off their assets to pay their creditors. Band leaders must by now have realized, based on political history, that there are more people, in the steelpan movement, who are motivated by self-interests and not the best interest of the organization. It is now our responsibility to know the wrongs of our past so that we are able to fix our future. Let us become responsible band leaders and not vote in our friends for a drink of alcohol, but vote for the persons best suited for the job. Educate ourselves because our youths in pan depend on it. Next election would soon, hopefully. Vote wisely.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2959988862?profile=original

• 2959988908?profile=original

• Dear Mr. Gonzales,

Have you deliberately chosen to further dilute the ability of this forum to consistently engage in meaningful dialogue by reproducing Mr. Lindsay's wish list?

Considering the suggested prerequisites you have both tabled, as we would say in the bush (rural community) where I come from ; "Allyuh (Mr. Lindsay and yourself) will have tuh make dem officers outta "plastercine" (play dough) oui". 

Not that I do not believe that the steel band fraternity does not possess the qualities that you have desired as being necessary tools in the arsenal of any leader in excessive quantities, but have you considered that the prospective candidates would be elected to office at a convention of delegates (comprising what i have consistently chosen to describe as ghost bands, manipulated by those with the ability to readily identify, mobilize and influence them), and not shortlisted after submission of curriculum vitae and transcripts, and selected via an interview process? What are you proposing in your apparent effort to influence to outcome of a democratic process sir?

Are you both subtly jockeying a particular candidate or candidates into a favorable position so that they can make a run for the line on the last bend before entering the home straight? 

Gregory is already claiming victory, and openly taking credit for influencing the direction the affairs of Pan Trinbago has taken, and the impending outcome.

Are you now on the fence Mr. Gonzales?

Let us pray of The Almighty good health, long life and sound minds so that in at least one year's time from now, we can all reflect on where things are then, and make comparisons to where things are now. 

• What about the character of the person? We have a declared candidate that was arrested for pulling a gun on someone in St. James.

What about those who benefited from "gifts" under the Diaz Administration? We are now hearing about airline tickets from Jet Blue being distributed to cronies.

We need persons who will uphold Transparency (publish salaries of all Central and Regional officers, gifts/ gratuities to non=officers), Accountability (Details of a Forensic and Prosecution where necessary)

• We need persons who will uphold Transparency (publish salaries of all Central and Regional officers, gifts/ gratuities to non=officers), Accountability (Details of a Forensic and Prosecution where necessary).

Orson: This is the FIRST TIME I ever hear anybody get offer this level of detail on this forum. My wish, too -- which I have never voiced. But I don't think that the society has evolved to that level as yet.

• Anyone seeking a position of PUBLIC TRUST should have to undergo a background check and character assessment. In the US this is done by the FBI.

A standard procedure/requirement where government contracts, institutions handling classified information and funding are part of the business operations.  Don't know how the GOTT functions when making personnel selections.

Party Time Again - Bally

• Gregory: The sad news is that they have already PICKED THE NEW MANAGEMENT without any consideration for your list of questions.You know what they used to say about COMPUTERS in the old days: GARBAGE IN; GARBAGE OUT!!!

After seeing THE LIST OF PEOPLE that they want to put to run the NEW PAN TRINBAGO, I think my time will be better spent looking for ALIENS in the ARIZONA DESERT than trying to encourage PAN PROGRESS on THIS FORUM.

• Claude,

I would to thank Kareem Richards and Andy Edwards for providing copyright permission to all of this information which are only the recommendations put forward for active consideration, within the context of the body of the original document, by its original authors. 

• smh...lol

This reply was deleted.