Replies

• Straight to NEWTOWN PLAYBOYS ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5yTV478uX0#t=52m25s

• Que Pasa Mi Amigo, donde esta usted??? them fellers saying, it look's your wife take away your computer man lol lol...

• JJJ: She treat me like a little child and take away the computer. So now I have to go to the library if I want tp post on the forum. But ah like how yuh was running things in the interim. Yuh know plenty people boy -- Cecil and Sherman and Anthony Williams and all kind ah people. What about Mannette and Copeland -- two town men? Yuh grow up with them too?

• Mi Amigo, I knew dat, would flush you out man, were U in "London or T&T" ??? any how glad to have U back man, I remember Cecil in St James hanging out around "Cross Fire and Symphonettes" when they were on Benarie Street, Sherman I know in Tranquility Boy's, where we were in the same classes together, Mr. Dottin, Augustin, and Costello, with Brian Assing, Ian Cross, Wally Butcher, Trevor Boland, etc etc, Ellie Mannette is my second cousin, my great grandmother and Ellie grand mother were sisters from "Cudidad Boulevard Venezuela", my mother and Ellie were born the same year 1928, her in March and him in November, "San Soci Toco, before moving to "Puerto Espana", if you're mean Brian Copeland the "Plagiarizing Thief", I do not know him in Port of Spain, I believe is from San Fernando who's father was the "Mas man" Mark Copeland, he is to be "Extradited and Indictied" in the very near future...

• In a conversation with the leader of one of Trinidad's top steelbands, he raised two points that I thought very interesting.

!) Young people are not raised with the steelband road culture as we were. As far as they're concerned , carnival is about DJ trucks.

2) He said that his young players have been so devastated by panorama losses , it is almost impossible to get them to touch a pan before Carnival Monday night.

Food for thought.....

• Small time-out:   Birthdate commemoration for Be-bop Jazzmaster, Charlie "Bird" Parker.

• One other thing Mr Gonzales,there are people inT&T who believe that it is their right after you have spent thousands of dollars to record your creation,to pirate it. That's why many of our artistes are poor or have a job and  pursue their art as a hobby, because thyey can't live off their craft.

• There U go, tell them School Buddy, you remember well, I see you still have the copy of the "Patent / Copyright I gave U, keep it in your VAULT....

• Cecil: The most significant aspect of the show (for me) was the cry among the LOCALS for UNITY and the dream of a new day dawning down in Trinidad and Tobago with a more peaceful and civilized society. This in the face of an ECONOMIC HARVEY sitting offshore waiting to take the island down to lower depths.

The commentary from the booth and the roving reporter and the individuals interviewed added a completeness to the show giving you an authentic feel of TRINIDAD as a NATION at 55. Especially enjoyable to see was the commentators putting reins on their egos -- which is not typical for Trinidad. And I like the job that the camera men did -- all around.

That was much more than PAN ON THE ROAD -- it was a celebration of a people hoping for a BRIGHTER DAY while showcasing their NATIONAL INSTRUMENT ... the one that JJJ created for them.

Now you (and others) are always complaining about getting the youths involved in PAN to keep the culture moving forward, but when I listen to that woman in the booth (and she is ON THE GROUND) pointedly identifying the HIGH PRESENCE of youths carrying the music load in those bands and praising them for keeping the culture alive -- I have to think that somebody got their facts wrong. And I don't think that it is the lady in the booth!!! How many times did I hear PAN IS IN GOOD HANDS with these YOUTHS.

I am going to leave the PAN DYING IN TRINIDAD FALSEHOOD alone for now.

Of course, anyone with two eyes could see that PAN ON TRUCKS is today's reality. If you go down to the TIJUANA and SAN DIEGO border on a Monday Morning at 8:00 a.m. you cannot see MORE TRUCKS than I saw in that PARADE on Saturday Night. So it is time for all the BACK TO THE FUTURERS to learn how to enjoy PAN ON TRUCKS and forget about the PAN ROLLING ON THE GROUND TING. Although I did see TWO SETS OF BASS PANS symbolically rolling along with ONE BAND.

The funniest part of the show for me was when SAN JUAN EAST SIDE SYMPHONY came on stage and I was looking to see all the players that I knew playing in the band -- instead it was ONE SET AH YOUNG PEOPLE. Now I realize that how old I really am. And I saw two of the most beautiful Trinidad women I have ever seen in my life playing in EXODUS. (I think I want to move back to Trinidad.)

The best performance of the night for me was NEWTOWN PLAYBOYS with that BARRON MEDLEY done in unadulterated CALYPSO DELIVERY. No PANORAMA nonsense. And as they moved off the stage dropping into a POP SONG (for good measure) played in CALYPSO TEMPO. I still say that CALYPSO and STEELBAND is the culture of Trinidad and that WE COULD PLAY ANYTHING IN CALYPSO.

The interview with the INDIAN GIRL from Oregon brought tears to my eyes and it might have for a large number of EXPATS and that interview with MR. GARCIA was genuine and soulful and patriotic and PAN LOVING as it can get. So many people hoping to see a brighter sun shine in Trinidad gleaming a touch of UTOPIA. But only in our fantasies because this government's only concern is political survival -- and COUNTRY and CIVILITY has to take a backseat to that. SAD!!!

Mr. Garcia is proof that you CANNOT have PAN MEN running the PAN TING. Take a look at their committee if allyuh doubt me.

The show ran late and they had to get off the air before PHASE II came center stage. But Boogsie is not the same Boogsie. Must be that FAT HADCO CONTRACT as I guessed before. I am sure that somebody captured the performance and it will show up on YOUTUBE.

But I always have to end on my favourite topic (gripe) and that is: WHERE IS THE MUSIC??? If you were in Trinidad walking those streets in the middle of this event you could hear the subliminal soulful sounds tugging at your heart representing this unique culture. Just like you might experience in Rio or New Orleans or Nashville. And we have all these musical geniuses in Trinidad who were born into the music and yet they seem unable to hear and capture this unique musical vibration that IS Trinidad. The nuance and the pathos jumps out even to the untrained ear. So why can't these musical geniuses hear it and compose pieces that reflect this PAN MUSIC EXPRESSION and bring it forth for the WHOLE WIDE WORLD TO HEAR.  Don't tell me that they are waiting for Andy Narell to come back to TRINIDAD to show us how to compose WE KINDA MUSIC.

Now I saw a video with Aquil Arrindell saying that he is a BIG COMPOSER. So I am hoping that this young man could hear the VIBE I am referring to and sit down and smoke a spliff and come up with a masterful composition capturing the SOUL OF TRINIDAD. I hope that I could live long enough to hear ONE PIECE of LOCAL composition that TOUCHES MY SOUL!!!

• Dear, Mr Gonzales, Plenty youths playing pan but just check carnival Monday and Tuesday and see where they are. After Panorama they in Tribe,Spice etc. After playing for a year or two, they GONE. the other thing is that the background pans are more resonant when closer to the ground. A lot of depth is lost with the pans in the air like that.however,that said Pan On The Avenue was great. The masses were pleased. But we need more positive pan images on our t v and radio programmes. We need our junior mas bands incorporating pan and our junior steel bands taking a more active role in these events as wasthe St. Margarets Band this year then the love for the steel will grow and it won't be just a been there done that thing. It would be in the mould of the JJJ era,when we ate,slept and breathe PAN.

This reply was deleted.