by Dalton Narine

Andy NarellGlobal - Andy Narell is back for Panorama 2013. The American-Trinidadian will be right at home among a fraternity of arrangers. And even narrowed in the small corner of elite composer-arrangers. It’s been 12 years since he last arranged in the competition. Competition? Well, Narell has a lot on his mind, and he doesn’t mind sharing thoughts, ideas - for that matter, all things Pan. So it hang, so we let it fall...

“I missed participating in Panorama, but being in a music competition is not what motivates me. I like the challenges of trying to write a good piece, getting the players interested in the story I’m telling, and getting a good performance from the band. Hearing the music played by 100 people is a high.”
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Excellent Interview! Very Insightful! I remember when Andy Narell debut in New York Panorama with Women in Steel. First of all, the band was all female of all ages, they presented a different sound musically, and they looked beautiful! A class act! I must admit that listening to that band on stage was refreshing! I would love for that band to come back to the Panorama with Andy Narell. Even though they did not win, they made a statement and created a sound that will not be forgotten. Great choice Birdsong! Win, lose, or draw!!!

• What an excellent interview with Narell, very good to hear his thoughts and ideas on everything Pan. Its very refreshing.

• This interview should be "required reading" for ALL involved in pan, i.e  tuners, arrangers, managers, the exec. of Pan Trinbago and players. Ray Holman for Pres. of Pan Trinbago sounds like a brilliant idea.

• Patrick, Ray is a music man I doubt he will have any interest in that job. The manager of EXODUS [Mr Mohammed] will make an even better President, he has a business background and he love steelband.

• Cecil: With all the depressing conversations we have on WST about the failure of the Pan Trinbago administration and the need for advancement because of the love of the instrument, why would you disqualify MR. RAY as a potential president of the organization if he could move it FORWARD.

If yuh doh give meh ah good answer ah going and lime with Bertel and Ian ... and the GHOST???

• Aye Claude, it's just that I think a person with business skills will be better suited for the job, I've been around Ray back in the day and to me he does not come across as a person who will want to run anything, he will travel the world and teach or play.

• Okay Cecil!!! We is still BFFL ... BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE, how much ever years remain!!!

• Claude, maybe we should put Andy name in the pot for President.

• “There are a lot of things we could be doing structurally that could point Panorama in a different direction, but I doubt that any of them will happen as long as it’s being run by an executive committee composed of representatives from the big bands. They are so entrenched, defending their position and advantage, everybody jockeying for a piece of the financial pie....

Right on Andy...yuh preach volumes in those two sentences...

• Thank you, Mr. Narine (and Andy) for this interview and the aspects of the musical competition at Panorama I agree with completly.
    Matthias G. Kauer, PANORAMA STEELDRUMS, Zürich/Switzerland
    Co-founder and former president of STEELPAN EUROPEAN   

This reply was deleted.