Re-mastered or re-engineered recordings; mainly for those of us who may have missed out.
I think it will also help raise much needed funds for Pan Trinbago and the performing bands.

According to what I have heard over the past years listening to WACK's  Pan In Yuh Pwefan show, there are a lot of  recordings which when first released may have only been available in Trinidad and Tobago. So come on those with influence, let's get a petition going and even if only the radio stations have these recordings left, then get CoTT's approval if necessary and get the music out there. There must be at least 100 individual recordings out there. So the barrel lover's can get their collections up together and you never know we may even attract new converts.

I for one would not mind paying for it. And what's even better it does not have to be released all at once. It could be done over a 24 month period.

What a way to make money?

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Glenroy,  nice idea but COTT has NO control or authority over the old recordings. COTT cant claim back issues.  COOK's  catalog was destroyed in a fire in his warehouse in connecticut,      RCA and Columbia do have copyright on theirs,  Telco is a dead duck, and there were a couple of small independants who might still have theirs.  I have a slice of COOK's catalog and some others from the 50's and 60's Pan Am North Stars, invaders, Southern Symphony, Tripoli, and COOK's famous live 1956 street recording of several bands inclucing Cassablanca, All Stars, and a few more. I also have Highlanders singles (and invaders 1957,58,59) I doubt if the Smithsonian will readily surrender their archives for a profit making venture. A price will have to be negotiated or they wont be interested. (no company or individual will) I will keep abrest of this because I think its a great idea.

paddy corea/demon fuzz

• Paddy Corea,I made no mention of COTT. Most of these old recordings are pre-Cott. I was referring to an organized body like Pan Trinbago or even individual steelbands  collecting ,archiving and making  this older music available to fans  before they completely disappear.

Much of this music like I said before is owned by private collectors, found for sale on e-bay, and also available on the Smithsonian Folkways website in the Caribbean section.

These, and also vintage calypsoes from the fifties and sixties, are mostly from the Cook label, and are available for download at

http://www.folkways.si.edu/searchresults.aspx?sPhrase=Caribbean&amp...

Under the Caribbean genre.

Much of this music has cultural and historical value, and should be treated as such.

• In my opinion, only through the collective effort of private collectors, of which there are many thousands, could a project of this nature succeed. and with the private donation of funds to support it.  So those who are willing to put their money where their mouths are could easily come up with an agreement to safeguard their collection, and to publish the music.  It would therefore be a private venture, and not dependent on Cook, Smithsonian or any institution.

Peter

• Judging by the comments made, it almost feels like this is doomed to fail. I said almost.

I think only the radio stations, past and present may have anything like a complete library.

Now the question is; are they willing to put their money where their mouth is? Or professing to support our culture, is just a catch-phrase used in advertising and station identification?

This is not meant to disrespect our Radio Stations; they do a very commendable job. I just think they should be approached in the first instance to see what their collection is like and what their reaction is to contributing to this project.

I remember a few years ago, possibly while this forum was still on MSN groups someone was putting up their vast collection for sale. I can't remember the person’s name or whether they were in fact from Trinbago. I do remember recordings covered just the period we're discussing now. Can anyone remember this?

I have also been reading pages from www.cott.org.tt  website, although the site is not yet complete, it emphasises the performer’s and composer’s rights; but not much covers the arranger’s contribution. In the pan world this is just as important I feel. As you say their brief not retrospective, so their authorisation is not required.

• For me...the 1980s were the greatest, the baddest arrangements and performances.  That decade was a classic and I would so love to get the recordings of that time.  I have some recordings but regrettably not all.  I would happily pay to get a complete compilation of the 80s panorama performances....bliss, I hearing pan already!  Please keep me in mind when this is put into production!  I so hope that this manifests into reality and not just ole talk...It is so important that this proposed venture not die, and the powers that be get on board and make it their mission to perpetuate such an awesome catalogue.  In fact, is there are steel safe/bunker somewhere holding each and every recording of each and every TT panorama ever performed?

A next thing...the semi-finals!!!  what fantastic music that produces.  In fact I prefer the semi to the finals as so many bands that should have made the finals don't, and if their music was not recorded at the semis they tend to be lost or forgotten about, and that is so TRAGIC.  Well that is my view.

Regards

• What a brilliant project! ... I too would not mind paying for such compilation of pan music.

Peter

• Well It's good to know so many of you share my thoughts on this. The whole thing came to me when I started listening to Beautiful Dreamer - Invaders on WACK then I remembered I bought 3 albums from Trinidad tunes entitled Steelban Pioneers Vol 1,3 and 4 (don't ask where 2 is) and I had the pleasure of hearing Boy's Town Steelband from Point Cumana (I used to be taken there on holidays in the 50s). Old Casablanca recordings and Katzenjammers'. It made me feel so proud to know I was born in the same country as this phenomenon that is pan.

Throughout my childhood it seems I was always within earshot of a steel band. Syncopaters on Quary Street, Casablanca on Oxford street (42 steps) Starland - St Vincent Street opposite my Grandmother's place Invaders and Starlift in Woodbrook (my liming spot) and of course, Picton Street where I was born not far from Silver Stars.

I even lived within walking distance of Harmonites when I lived in Barataria. So my memories are full but I would still love to get hold of the one's I missed out on from 1966 Tripple Crown album to the recordings of the 1990s.

Does anyone know if the Smithsonian have a link to their recordings on their website?

I could not find one.

• Fully in support and hoping that this venture starts ASAP. Just yesterday I was speaking with Rudy R. Sundowners and West Stars Base Pan Player and we were speaking about this . The Sundowners Family is anxiously awaiting the recording of the First Panorama in 1963 in which the "Downers" came 2nd to Panam North Stars . I am in possession of  CDs with music by Southern Symphony (Bonaparte Brothers) " I Love Steelband " which is from the 1950s' and Ebonites Steel Orch 1960 which I can contribtue now . So please " Lets Get It On ".
This reply was deleted.