Mr. Claude Gonzales said in an earlier post and I quote ( I think that in a few short years PANORAMA TUNES will NO LONGER HAVE LYRICS. if you listen to the PANORAMA COMPOSITIONS with a critical calypso ear the problem is self-evident. ) end of quote. my question is will pan lovers enjoy the performances of the bands selections that has no lyrics, also they cannot sing along with a line of the tune because of no lyrics. for example when Antillean All stars played Tourist leggo you heard the crowd singing (she want  to wine wine wine wine roll roll roll roll jump jump jump jump ) and when Third World played Gold (you heard the crowd singing Gold Gold the fastest human in the whole wide world..People enjoy Classical Music that has no lyrics  but will pan fans enjoy Panorama Music with no lyrics.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Deltones - Ah Trini...

• Despers - Ah Trini...

• This was a very unusual panorama selection , and one of the few times in recent years that bands played a contemporary tune that was popular with the general public during the carnival season.

More selections like this could definitely expand the appeal of panorama music.

• When Ray Holman first stated that he was going with his own music the authorities told him his music must have words,so he got together with Alvin and here we are today. I don't think they will or should change because it give the panorama a carnival vibe, any arranger who is able to get the savannah singing his tune has a sure 2-3 points.

• Good counter, Mr. Earl Richards. I should have qualified "PANORAMA COMPOSITIONS" with the word "CURRENT" since I am looking at the evolution of the music TODAY. Now, I want you to cite ONE PANORAMA SONG composed in the last five years where the crowd was singing the lyrics as the band performed.

I don't know about 100 steelbands going in that direction; but I expect to see a few going down that road in the near future and after you come back I will expand on my rationale.

Claude

• Mr.Claude Gonzales I  don't no if you are trying to trap me by asking me to cite ONE PANORAMA SONG composed in the last five years where the crowd was singing the lyrics as the band performed, Because a PA N SONG  COMPOSITION is not the same as a PARTY / SOCA  SONG COMPOSITION. Anyway to name one song I will say TRINI sung by BENJAI in 2011 and played by Despers and Deltones in the finals of the same year that had the crowd singing the lyrics. 

• Earl: This topic and the 'PAN FRIENDLY" topic greatly intrigue me. I am not trying to trap you, just to have a discussion on the PROS and CONS of the PAN SONG issue.

• Does anyone remember the lyrics to this song?

• I don't think Andy Narrell ever had words to this. I may be wrong.

Randi

This reply was deleted.