E-Pan –The Prodigal Adopted-Son ©2013

Salmon Cupid, the inventor of the E-Pan, in his attempt to assert and attach his (version of a MIDI) controller to the hip of the steel drum (steelpan), has been trying to convince the steelband community that he has no intention to compete with the original acoustic instrument, and ONLY intends to enhance and compliment the “family of steelpan” instruments. He claims that he does not see the use of the E-Pan in the annual Panorama* competition (the only true big event for panmen and panwomen in Trinidad and Tobago), as posing a threat to the steelbands. However, in taking a closer look at his “marketing” strategy and advertising claims, it becomes obvious that Mr. Cupid, either intentionally or not, asserts propositions of the E-Pan’s superiority over the traditional instrument. His selling points include, “no need for tuning, rusting, and premature replacement”, “durable, compact…lightweight (for) ease of transportation”, “delivers consistent sound and tonal quality”, “easier for stage set up than REGULAR steel drums”. He even went as far as anointing his invention as the “CADILLAC of steelpans”. (Emphasis on “regular” and “Cadillac” by this author, not Mr. Cupid’s.) He goes on further to state that the E-Pan “can be produced in SEVERAL ENHANCED versions TO COVER THE COMPLETE ORCHESTRAL RANGE OF A CONVENTIONAL STEELPAN ENSEMBLE”. (Again, CAPS for emphasis, by this author.)

Many times, in order to make sense of various viewpoints, one can simplify the contextual premise of any claim or proposition. In the recorded history of mankind, the sages and “teaches” often used parables and metaphorical references to help their disciples and “students” better understand any complex situation that requires the use of critical thinking. In keeping with that approach to intellectualism, the following adaption of an old parable, attempts to offer some perspective, as it relates to Mr. Cupid’s “Unique Selling Propositions” (or USPs).

A single father had an adopted son who went off to a foreign county in search of fame and fortune. While the father struggled in his homeland to make ends meet, his son would use the tools his dad gave him and the skills his dad taught him to make a name for himself. The father met an extremely beautiful woman, twenty years his younger, and closer to his son’s age. They were soon wed. Shortly after their honeymoon, the son returns home and immediately becomes attracted to his dad’s young bride. The son asks the dad if he can live with them as one happy family. He promises his dad that he simply wants to be a part of the family and poses no threat. The dad loves and trusts the son, and decides to let him move in with them. Then, one day while the dad was at work, the son approaches his dad’s bride and tells her, “You know I am better, I am not old, my body parts are newer, I will deliver consistently, I am not regular, I am the Cadillac of men, and with me…you’ll need no other man”. Naturally, the bride is confused, for while the son tells the dad he simply wants to be a non-threatening member of the family, she hears other words that seem to suggest the son is undermining the dad, and trying to place doubts in her head by asserting his dad’s inferiority and weaknesses, and his own superiority and strengths, as a younger, stronger, more-virile stud, whose is built like the “Six Million Dollar Man”.

Mr. Cupid needs to understand how to effectively maneuver around his dichotomy of loyalties; for, while he obviously loves the dad, his USP, on the other hand, reminds this author of the old adage, “All is fair in love and war”. The dad may be old and “rusty”, but, to his bride, he is still the most handsome, strong, and complete man she has ever had and ever wants. He is her KNIGHT IN SHINING CHROMED ARMOR, and NO plastic replica, smooth-talking, prodigal, adopted son could ever replace him. He may try to be cunning and woo her with words, but she does not fall for it, and the more she resists, the angrier the prodigal son becomes, and the more hate, envy, and jealousy he harbors for his dad. Of course, he pretends to love his dad, because he knows that it is in his dad’s house, where the true riches are deposited. So concludes this chapter.

*There are Panorama competitions in other parts of the world, but Trinidad and Tobago is its home.

George D. Goddard, B.A.

On WST as Pan'Tum - The Ghost Who Talks ®

©2013. All rights reserved. No reproduction without written permission allowed.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• " if Panorama music rules are opened up so bands can play any song (whether it be reggae, pop, jazz etc.) most definitely Panorama stands a better fighting chance of a major network taking that song and playing it because it is a popular song that they can relate to, then a prolific arranger puts his take on it .... it will be a win, win situation." Salmon "E-Pan Man" Cupid. (What???? Is he for real???)

Ghost.

• The reality is these Electronic pans are here and there is nothing anyone can do about it, pan NOW in danger.

• TRUTH OR UNTRUTH?: 

"Before the epan was invented, a steel pan player could only play two notes at once. Playing with your fingers means you can play several more notes at a time if you want to. Now the musican can play full chords as a pianist can." (Click on link)

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/07/22/cupid_electrifies_steel_...

• When Roland, Yamaha and other companies came out with synthesizers and MIDI equipment, did any of their USPs or "Unique Selling Propositions" make comparisons pointing to ANY imperfections/weaknesses of the acoustic instruments they were replicating? Did any of them make claims of (implied) "superiority" over the traditional instruments? Also, why do people choose to have grand pianos in their mansions, and not keyboard synthesizers? Finally, do you think that we would have been okay with the use of "pan-shaped" synthesizers in Panorama, if they were "invented" by Roland and Yamaha. I would have STILL been opposed to their use; my criticisms have NOTHING to do with who the manufacturer is, "Trini" or not! Ghost.

• Most Trinis will stay loyal to the pan as we know it but there is not too many of us in the world. In this age of electronics I"m afraid the pan is facing a up hill battle, we are now left to console ourselves with if Salmon didn't do it Roland or Yamaha could have.

This reply was deleted.