Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Winston "Gypsy" Peters said yesterday he was still not comfortable with giving pan players an $800 appearance fee, a reduced sum from the $1,000 given to players last year.

Peters made the comment as he toured the Grand and North Stands, currently under construction, along with chairman of the National Carnival Commission Kenny De Silva yesterday morning.

Referring to his own struggles in the field of calypso, Peters said, "Calypso got me to where I am today...not money, and the truth be told, I sang a long time without getting any money. I have dialogue with the panmen, but I have my own views as to what I think about the fee."

Peters also dealt with the issue of prize money for the winners of the four major competitions: the National Soca Monarch, National Calypso Monarch, National Chutney Monarch and the Panorama competition.

Earlier this month, Peters said the $2 million prize money for these competitions will only be for this year. This did not sit well with some of the Carnival stakeholders, who said they believed the move to increase the prize money would be a permanent one.

Replying to questions about the issue yesterday, Peters said, "If they don't want it, then it goes back to the Treasury, and they will revert to getting what they received before."