When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Do we have anybody on this Site that can relate to the Steelband Clash with Invaders and Tokyo (I think it was 1950) EG: like where you were at the time, what you saw? or what you hear from your Parents or your friends, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeyvpBznVnA

Views: 5795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see the Steelband in Trinidad is losing their Voice and also in Brooklyn NY where they are trying to Push the Jouvert  and ultimately the annual West Indian American Carnival on Eastern Parkway, but in other parts of the World especially in the White people area it is holding strong. Are we noticing something here? Will we lose the Pan and the Steelband  eventually?.

Bede Pan gone already and we doh know what to do with the steelband. The older heads saying it is the youths time and the youths replying allyuh ain't show we what to do. 

BEDE this is just 4 U, to shed  light on the INVADERS / TOKYO CLASH, the Road March History from when Road March began in1950, 1950, IN A CALABASH sung by Mighty Killer, 1951, TINY TINY BLOW YOUR TRUMPET FOR ME sung by Mighty Killer, 1952, AH DOH WANT NO COCONUT WATER & POST POST ANOTHER LETTER FOR THELMA sungbyMighty Spitfire, 1953, MADELEINE OHY sung by Vivian Coma, 1954, STEEL BAND CLASH sung by Lord Blakie, 1955, HAPPY WANDERER sung by Skokiaan, 1956, JEAN & DINAH sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1957, CHICKEN CHEST sung by Lord Christo, 1958, PAY AS  YOU EARN sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1959, RUN THE GUNSLINGER sung by Lord Caruso, 1960, MAY MAY sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1961, ROYAL JAIL sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1962, MARIA sung by Lord Blakie, this should help if not, let me know...

Well done Lesley with one slight correction it was "Tiny Davis blow your trumpet for me" that song was based on the famous trumpeter in those days...I think she was a woman..boy this keeps getting better all the time

Pardon my ignorance. Blakie said, he run in ah woman house. That apparently, was the clash with Tokyo, and Invaders. If my memory serves me correctly, and i think it does, Blakie was from San Juan Allstars, how did he get in a fight between Invaders, and Tokyo ?     

Dorrick: If you are really asking that question -- WITH A STRAIGHT FACE -- I can give you the answer.

Ah guess you nut watching meh face ! ah doh remember the words ah the kaiso.

Dorrick: Here are the LYRICS to the song!!!

It was a BACCHANAL (Ahh Haaa)

1950 CARNIVAL (Ahh Haaa)

Fight FUH SO

With INVADERS and TOKYO

Meh friend ran and left his hat

When they hit him with ah baseball bat

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND IN PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAAYYYYYEEEE)

Invaders beating sweet

Coming up Park Street

Tokyo -- coming down very slow

And friends when the TWO BAND CLASH

Mama Yo!!! If yuh see CUTLASH

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND in PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAYYYYYYYEEEE)

Well the thing GET HOT

If yuh see men GET CUT

Lord Blakie

Run in ah house by a lady

Quite ON TOP the LADY BED

They PELT AH BOTTLE and BUS MEH HEAD

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND in PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAYYYYYYYEEEE)

Thanks, i guess Blakie was not yet part of San Juan all stars. Or, he was liming by himself. 

Dorrick: THE CALYPSONIAN is a STORY TELLER who is not always BOUND TO THE TRUTH!!! He is an entertainer and he has to put on a show and dramatize events!!!

In PORTRAIT OF TRINIDAD Sniper sings: In calypso our stories are told/with this rhythm to touch your soul.

Notice that he did not say our "TRUTHS" are told.

Do you think that SCRUNTER was really standing by the GRAND STAND up in the savannah watching THE WOMAN ON THE BASS?

I remember Blakie was interviewed once and asked how he knew about the clash.

His answer was simply

"Ah was dey"

Most of you have a few facts right but its like the bible where bits and pieces come together. Edward it couldnt have been 66 because I was in the Bahamas then and I also was at the scene at the hospital when despers and San Juan all stars clashed..Highlanders was the protege of despers as Bertie Marshall tuned their pans but they were not involved in any fighting.. That day there was an amplifier in highlanders band as they went towards the savannah. SanJuan all Stars got impatient with the delay and forced their way through Highlanders. Despers was on Observatory street when word got to them about the invasion. They made a u turn the members not the band and raced towards the hospital and took on San Juan all stars.. Bertie arrived from nowhere grabbed his amp and scooted back to his home on old st joseph road. As a witness to the fight I remembered tearing the leg on my sister boy pants as I scaled the speared fence of the hospital as bottles appeared as birds in the air. Most of the stories are partially true except the dates.. 1953 for the Tokiyo/Invaders clash and 1959 for the despers/San Juan one, that can be proven easily by contacting the Trinidad..Guardian archives

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service