When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

There are so many conflicting narratives even though we had (and still have) live eyewitnesses to this very recent history. Sometimes you get the feeling that every EGO wants to be THE ONE to tell the tale and dismissal of all other voices has become the norm.

One highly respected contributor to pan history stated that Trinidad and Tobago must surely have the most backward set of people producing information on the pan movement.

So are we reading backwardness and treating it as PAN GOSPEL?

Views: 1664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone of means should commit to commissioning a university-steered (UWI preferably) comprehensive research of the study of steelpan, the instrument and movement, as well as patenting the instrument on behalf of the people of Trinidad & Tobago.  IF I ever come into money beyond my means, I promise it will happen, period.

Check " The ILLUSTRATED STORY OF PAN" by Dr. Kim Johnson. There are other related books by him also. " If Yuh Iron Good Yuh Is King" is another one of his books. Very good reading!

Andre, I know how you feel - I'm sure there are a few of us out there that feel the same way you do - however - is it now the duty of Pantrinbago to move issues like this forward????? - I would have thought that this was a part of their charter...??? just asking.... I would LOVE to see their charter to get an idea of where they are coming from and where they are going (as a business and an organization). Sorry, I don't want to take away from the topic at hand.

Urban: YOU ARE ON TOPIC.

PAN HISTORY MUST PROGRESS!!!

But the VISIONARIES must uproot the CANCER that is DIAZ first.

Claude, when you cure the Diaz cancer, would you use the same cure for the cancer that follows? Pan may have evolved, but the panman hasn't. Pan will always be an endless discussion, a serious question with a million answers, but NO answer.

One must realize that the people who truly love the artform, are never the people in charge.

In the words of the great Martin Luther King....

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Martin Luther King rallied like minds and went against the establishment - for the greater good of his people...

If Ellie has waited on an organization to do what he needed to do for Pan where would Pan Be????

I know this may sound cliche  - but why is everyone waiting for the removal of Mr. Diaz????

With worldwide Pan support - A Pan History project is very very possible without Mr. Diaz and his organization.  My big question is:- who has the testicular fortitude to function on such a big scale without the blessing of Mr. Diaz  - especially if its going to benefits Pan Culture.

Respect to Mr. Diaz who I do not know personally, I only know if his organization through research reading, online information and this forum. and what  As a business person working in the field of Law & Technology for 30 years, and a member and past Chairman of a cultural organization - I am baffled as too why its taking so long to move past, through, over, or under this obstacle.   Enough is enough. Too much talk eh!!!  not enough action.  Steel Pan is not dead - just trying to get rid of the rope.

The history of the Steelpan is incomplete because we have not heard from everyone.   Most of the history is North centric (about the steelbands in Port of Spain and the environs), we are yet to get information on the southern bands, and bands from Tobago.   Someone claimed recently that the steelband was created in Point Fortin, but we are yet to get that story.

Its all about where you grew up. I am from Town and I used to hear and Believe that Pan was created from "Behind the Bridge" East dry river, if you grew up in the West you will hear and Believe that Pan was created in the West, the same way if you grew up in other parts of the Country. So we have to believe in what we believe, it can never be Right/Perfect.

Bede, Pan was created in Trinidad and Tobago! Full Stop.

BEDE LOPEZ, agreed.  However Robert Saldenha has a valid response which proves the point.  We need to gather a harvest of all related stories to research and publish a comprehensive digest, n'est-ce-pas?  Is there a compendium or digest on WST with such info?  I know I asked PT and they categorically advised they do not currently have such.

But that is the point that Robert was making, Bede. It is ALL NORTH CENTRIC and then Port-of-Spain is further subdivided into EAST and WEST -- both sides wanting to take ALL the ACCLAIM.

Bertel might as well say: Pan was created in Port-of-Spain -- FULL STOP.

And with that Pan History documentation DONE!!!

But PAN HISTORY should be made of sterner stuff!!!

Claude, I would never say that Pan was created in POS or with any one person for that matter. What I would say is that Pan was created by a SPIRIT through a people, and in this case, the people of T&T. Remember, carnival as we know it here, came out of a form of a people's rebellion against Massa, and at that time anything was used to protest, and with that SPIRIT in a people, the pan evolved. So in a sense the evolution to and of the Pan happened everywhere at once in T&T. My take, my view.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service