When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

IT'S SAD TO SAY BUT MINISTER "GYPSY" PETERS WAS RIGHT!!!!

It saddens me to say this, after all the fight from both the local and international pan world, but after some results in the semi-final round of Panorama 2011, i cannot agree more. PANORAMA (JUDGING) IS KILLING PAN.

Firstly let me say that i didnt play with nor have afilliations with any particular band. I dont know, and i stand to be corrected, that there's any Judge in the Panorama competition that got a greater listening position, or has vastly greater academic or musical experience than many of the members or visitors of this WST website. I might go even further to compare them to the average visitor to the panyards.

To think that year after year, people expect and beg of Pan Trinbago to find the MOST Competent Panel of Judges, and i firmly believe this is one area that the organization unfortunately fails every single year.

In regards to the title of my discussion, after listening to every band LIVE and then seeing the results, there is no way the judges came even close to getting it right based on the CRITERIA. Even though the criteria itself is another topic for discussion, based on what we have to go by right now, something has gone terribly wrong with our judging system.

When 90% of listeners have commented on the poor tonal quality sound of a band like SILVER STARS, among other valid observations, how can they come out on top? It goes further into what growth can  be expected for pan by Panorama Competition??? NONE!! WHY?  When you have a competition that you cant expect to hear anything different from the previous years, and this is being rewarded with full marks, can we really ever expect growth??

I will leave it here for now and leave it up to the pan world to discuss. Let's wake up, be real, whether our band is on top or not, is this fair to the Artform???

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WELL SAID MY BROTHER !
I could not have said it any better.

This is a bold statement to make that Gypsy was right...

The minister never spoke about judging. If you want to talk about judging, talk about judging but do not mix the the two topics. Judging has nothing to do with the minister reducing the allowance to players or his misguided statements. I think your headline should be changed!

LISTEN!! I COULD CARE LESS WHAT THE MINISTER ISSUE WAS!!  I AM SAYING THAT WHATEVER IT WAS, HIS END STATEMENT WAS PANORAMA KILLING PAN. WHETHER IS THE ARRANGER OR TUNERS OR JUDGES... AND WITH THAT I FULLY AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT, NOT HIS ISSUES, HIS STATEMENT!!!

This maybe a stretch but i'm applying the peter principle to panorama. it has outlived its usefulness. As to judging, for somtime now Boogsie Sharpe has been complaining about it. The late Clive Bradley also did the same. 
ooh gooosh get your head out of the clouds, nah please, the brother aint talking about the $800 fo pan people but the mere fact that PANORAMA IS KILLING PAN!!!  I seriously think we should have a big concert and done, all bands pull staws to see who will peform at the concert...
Well said , WST member, i think the headline should be changed also , but as for the topic itself,Jeston hit the nail on the head, i have been affiliated with several bands in T&T..but as a musician you learn to accept defeat you would know if someone sounds better or performs better, as for the Judging for panorama it is sad to know that favoritism plays a majour part of the competition..i have played Silver Stars music over and over to see if i was the only one who didn't understand it's the same chromatics and stops that got tthem the title on both occasions, yet still after last night performance they are back in the forfront as joint leaders with Phase ll..imposible? i guess not cause in the T&T Panorama competition is who u r friends with will determine your placings in the competition,SAD.SAD SAD...

I do not really get imnvolved in these discussions, I merely read howevr I could not leave this one aloneWhoever you are have expressed my sentiments so strongly. I thank you and applauud you for doing this...The shock of last night panorama tie for 1st place and as you said same music played for the last three yesrs, same sound, intonations, phrasing, made me sick..

I love pan as much as most genuine pan lovers do, but this has to have some kind of effect on the morale of the players and arrangers of other bands..I can just imagine their frustration.

"SAD SAD SAD".....

My thing is, there are ways and means fully proper thinking officials to weed out this kind of stagnant behavior of arrangers.. BUT THEY WONT BECAUSE THIS WAY THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

The reason for my title i have never seen or heard as much as i did the amount of YOUNG PEOPLE who have privately and publicly stated, that THIS IS THE LAST YEAR THE PLAYING PAN. And if we as adults wanna use competition as the reason for this, I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT PAN "OUR NATIONAL INSTRUMENT" Should not be subjected to that.

When a 12year old could do their research and sit crying stating that the TONAL QUALITY OF BAND A who place 1st could not be compared to BAND B who placed 11th, and then ask what is the real judging criteria. i wonder where we are at???

The fat lady didn't sing yet, let's wait until the finals before making any judgement. From what I heard it is a 3 horse race. It's human nature to take sides. Let's hope that it dose not end like the chutney soca competition with a $2,000,000 prize and the loser inciting his tribe to throw something if yuh do like de result and they got wotless and caused damage. Pan gone pass that.

"PAN GONE PASS THAT" thats what we would like to think. Probably in another country. Not trinidad. Mr. Peters the FAT LADY SING UNTIL SHE CHOKE.. Im sure this is no where close to being you first panorama, so i want you go back in your history book and tell me when was the last time a band outside of the TOP 3 in a semis, WIN PANORAMA?? DOES WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS, where the finals was up for grabs by anyone in the final.

So as much as i would LOVEEE to think differently, you right, its a three horse race, and that is another DAGGER IN THE HEART OF PAN. Why can't it be a 8 Horse race?? We going in circles in this PANORAMA THING!! YES THING!

I have to agree with Don, politics plays to big a role in judging.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service