Images from: REUTERS/Gabriel Bouys/Pool

Above:  Holding his own tenor sticks, Pope Francis looks at the President of Trinidad & Tobago Anthony Carmona (left) playing a tenor pan, during a private audience at the Vatican July 6, 2013. REUTERS/Gabriel Bouys/Pool

Above:  Pope Francis plays a tenor pan received as gift by former President of Trinidad and Tobago, George Maxwell Richards (unseen) during a private audience at the Vatican July 6, 2013.  REUTERS/Gabriel Bouys/Pool

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Pontiff looks like he's a natural. 

• I thought this issue was settled in 1967!   Here's his eminence Cypher on the Church and playing mas (s)

http://youtu.be/LSoZhWJY6f8

• Next step is to send the Catholic carnival mas band with costumes to the Vatican to parade in front the pope...no wining please!

• "HIGH MAS" is ah different kindah mas.

• Pan is a blessings from the highest high
  • Thank you very much very much for showcasing this historic event. In addition to WST members, I am sure that Roman Catholics, like myself the world over would now know how  beautiful a musical instrument is the "Pan"

Our President, His Excellency Anthony Thomas Aquinas Carmona has indeed made our native country of Trinidad and Tobago extremely proud by presenting this beautiful gift to the Pope.

• Now, that all these non-Caribbean folks are playing pan, can the Caribbean nations at least put pan in the school curriculum  in addition to adding it to our flags.   But then, I am a Federationists who thinks we should have one flag, one government, one economy and one curriculum from the cradle to the grave!

• I was playing on a gig in Bayside Miami Fla that was in 1998 and while playing a gentleman came up to me dress all in white and said that he just love the sound of the instrument that I was playing, which was a double second.

He said that they could take all the other instrument,Sax,Piano,Guitar and so on and throw all  in the sea.That the steel pan

will be the only Instrument that will be in heaven.And with that he just disappear.I don't know if he went up or down or side ways.That why I always appreciate my Instrument the steeldrums.

• I guess not. He took only the tenor pan!
  • Now that is nice and wonderful the pope playing the steel pans..But I am not seeing any tassa drums

This reply was deleted.