Sarah’s spotlight: MUSC123 Beginning steel band

The Review

Delaware, USA - College is all about experimenting, right? I believe our college years are the perfect time to explore academically, socially and creatively. I’ve done my best to step outside of my comfort zone and try new things since coming to the university....if you’re up for the challenge, you can be bold and commit to a new experience for a full semester by enrolling in an academic class.

I dove into Kristian Paradis’ MUSC 123: Beginning Steel Band without having any prior steel band experience. For example, I learned on day one that the instruments aren’t called steel drums—they’re steel pans. The first few days of class, before we started playing, were full of learning the history of the instruments in steel bands and their cultural significance to Trinidad and Tobago. We have continued to connect our music to history as the semester has progressed, but it was during these early classes that I realized how important these instruments are. I don’t bang on a hunk of metal with a pair of wooden sticks. I make music with an instrument that keeps the stories the Caribbean alive.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Continue to explore and enjoy the versatility of the Steel drum (Steel pan), Sarah.

• Welcome to pan peoples world, this is an experience that you will never forget, may all your days be memorable.

This reply was deleted.