When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Silver Stars and Steel Xplosion Triumph for Steelband Panorama 2010

Trinidad and Tobago - Trinidad and Tobago’s National Panorama competition climaxed for yet another year, with Silver Stars and Steel Xplosion Steel Orchestras taking top honors in their categories on Carnival Saturday night in Port-of-Spain at the Queen’s Park Savannah. Along with bragging rights, both bands walked away with the approximate equivalent of USD $159,489 and USD $96,463, respectively.

In just under eight hours, twenty steel orchestras took the stage - ten each in medium and large categories - and delivered scintillating sounds on steel before thousands of fervent pan music lovers gathered. It would be nearing 3:00 a.m. local time before the final notes were played.

click for more

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do we have our instrument under lock? (not the G pan, the steel) I kno its all over the world in New Zealand and Japan etc.... some are even claiming it as theirs.......... do we have the papers and stuff in place to show that it is OURS, and no Tom, Jack or Harrylal can claim it?
I'm afraid we may lose it because i'm not gettin a sense of legal stuff being put in place to safeguard our treasure...
Any rights to "lock" a new idea or invention expires 1 year after first public exposure unless some form of patent is filed during that period. The IP ownership of the traditional pan expired when TASPO went on their historic tour of England in the 50s - no-one fully realised the potential of getting melodic sound from steel and the need to protect the IP. The result is that anyone anywhere can make and sell steelpans of their own design.

The G-Pan patent submission tries to address this by fully describing and acknowledging the traditional pan - history,technology and manufacture. The patent then goes on to describe and claim for a new family of pans that are engineering enhanced over the traditional. The new G-Pans are "under lock" in Trinidad and Tobago and moving to that state world wide.
Hello Copeland;

What is your vision for the G pan? Is there any place online where one can see the family of G pans?

bugs
Hi Bugs
I consider the G-Pan as a vehicle for building a much stronger, much more organised and vibrant steelpan industry based in its ancestral home but with worldwide outreach.

See
[] Patent document: http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2009011669&IA=TT20070000...
[] http://www.panonthenet.com/news/2008/dec/regrelloGpan-12-15-08.htm where Junia Regrello gives an interview ,
[] the G-Pan Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-G-Pan/174856176289?ref=share,
and
[] the Panadigm Innovations Ltd (PIL) website at www.panadigm.com. PIL markets and sells the G-Pan and the PHI
Thank you Mr. Copeland

There are voices in the current family of steelpan instruments that have distinct timbres. Will the G-pan attempt to reproduce these tones in the future? Is there a standard tone for the G-pan or this solely a function of the tuner? Are the G-pans difficult to tune?

bugs
Hi Bugs

To answer directly, you do get a different voice with the G-Pans. You also get a significant incease in power - ask Skiffle Bunch and Phase 2. We have found that the tuners have a bit more latitude in getting the voice they want because of the bigger area on the playing surface. We have not attempted to reproduce existing tones but I think that this is possible given the way the pan works (see below).

BTW the current G-PAn tuners are Roland Harrigin, C.M. and Birch Kelman, C.M.

The larger size and weight of the G-Pans make for better music but is also slightly more difficult to tune. We are working on new tools and processes to assist the tuner in this regard.

Below:
The steelpan is as scientific a wonder as it is a musical wonder. The timbre you get varies with note layout, note range, tuner style, pan geometry and material. Note layout, note range and tuner style seem to be the more dominant factors. We have found that the size of the G-Pan makes for a slightly more mellow tone. The heavier material used improves what we call the harmonic-noise ratio making for a cleaner sound.

That being said, the G-Pan is based on a family of 4 instruments (G-Soprano, G-Double Seconds, G-3Mid and G-6Bass). The current design is 27" in diameter and targets a 3 octave range for each instrument. This is achieved on all but the bass where we get 2.5 octaves. The Double Second uses a whole tone layout but all other instruments use the 4ths and 5ths. The note ranges overlap significantly; this facilitates layering of arrangements where the same instrument plays different parts.

At present the G-Pans are under Beta test by Despers, Phase 2, All Stars, Exodus, Renegades. Skiffle has been a test bed since the project started. When we get the feedback from these bands we may see a change in the design of the pans.
Thanks for the info
While ur second paragraph is comforting... honestly i am saddened by the first paragraph. Thank you for your reply and insight into the matter... :)
CONGRATS TO SILVERSTARS ......... I KNEW THEY WOULD ALWAYS WIN! I WAS RIGHT DANCIN TO THEIR SONG IN MY RENEGADES UNIFORM.... :) BESS ARRANGEMENT!
Congratulations to the Silver Stars
Congratulations to the Steel Xplosion

Congratulations also to all the finalists

Finally was able to listen to large bands on WACK's playback.
Went to bed late!!!!!!!!!!!!
but it was worth the wait.

Thank you WST and WACK
You re the best
Everyone enjoy the rest
of the festival
be careful, be safe
the results last year and this year do not make sense musically.
Congrats Silver Stars as usural you shall continue to shine...The best arranger to ever touch the face of Trinidad...no one knew him then but i'm sure they know him now...Big up to Edwin Pouchet....Excellent arrangement with Silver stars and not forgetting Katzenjammers his bago band....Job well done....Keep it up...Next year its yours again...

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service