TEST PIECE for Panorama

In the wake of the discussion about the contribution of Andy Narell to the Panorama 2014 it seems reasonable (almost unavoidable ) that a TEST PIECE should be incorporated in the Panorama Mix.

This PIECE may be chosen in a song competition of its own and given to the bands in ample time before the Semis ( The Prelims could be judged on Tune of Choice only ) 

Bands who reach the Semis would therefore have to play two tunes... X minutes for the TEST PIECE, and  8 - X minutes for the Tune of Choice. The judging, marking system, and prize allocation would have to be worked out. 

This would add variety and break the monotony of an EIGHT minute Panorama rendition,challenge the  arrangers, and make it easier on the Pan follower (who is a judge in his / her own right ) but may not be familiar with all the songs which may be played by the bands; and therefore would not be able to discern fidelity to melody from added motifications.... I dare assume that the TEST PIECE would be given ample airing on the Radio Stations..  just saying.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This "test piece" was tried before for Panorama and rejected by-and-large by the majority of pan people.  They can do that for other steelpan competition if they wish, but leave Panorama alone!  It involves cultural traditions and rituals that do not need to be changed, period.

• The public being the judges will as was mentioned  have mucho bias. People will vote for the band they support and not really who played the best. The crowd does not sit there to listen to all the bands. During the performance of some bands people move around, talk, eat, have a drink only waiting for the "certain bands" This may not sound too nice, but I can handle any criticism. The majority of people in that savannah don't know the difference between a change key and a solo,so I don't / won't see the public as the judges. For the people's choice they simply give their vote to "their band"

Someone mentioned judges for arrangers, well previous judges have arranged and failed to qualify. I know of two who came LAST! with their respective bands, one as many as seven points behind the second to last band. Don't ask me to give the name of the person(s) or band:-)

• Actually, guys believe it or not, I've never questioned the integrity of the judges decisions.

I'm just saying that judging art such as music is difficult with score sheets, since music appeals to the senses, more that to a preset criteria of quantifiable variables.

This is the same for example even with visual arts.

Over the years quite a few movies that won the Academy Awards have been forgotten, while  many unheralded movies have become classics.

Similarly,  take the Trinidad Independence calypso competition of 1962.

How many of us remember Lord Brynner's competition winning selection?

Yet, the mighty Sparrow's Independence calypso has stood the test of time, and is a bona fide calypso classic.

Which calypso should be considered "better"?  

Though I agree its not perfect, the best way of judging art that appeals to the senses such as music, is by the response of the audiences.

• Well stated, Glenroy ... even with all the provisos, in principle it is ultimately the response of the listener that determines the enduring success of the piece of art, whether musical or visual.

Peter

• Will all the old talk that goes on between the WST Family. We must all remember, nearly eighty percent of the times the Judges are Correct. We as supporters and Pan People don't Pay as Much attention as the Judges. They are not distracted by old talk and other distractions they focus on their Job. We always believe with our Little Bird Brain that we know more the These Judges but we don't. The only people who are agree with the Judges results are the Band and it's Supporters.
  • In effect, Panorama judging was like "training wheels" for the arrangers and for the genre, and the judges, apart from instructing the arrangers, also determined the direction of the music by setting criteria.

Today, we have well educated, qualified arrangers competing for the privilege of arranging for bands,  and their creativity should not be harnessed by judging criteria.

And since the format for the panorama music genre has been set, it also no longer needs to be shaped by judges and judging criteria.

IMHO ,  panorama judging has outlived any value, or contribution to the art form, it may have had in the past, not to mention the fact that judges decisions are always controversial..

• Glen My Bro. Congrats for posting this very eloquent and true Statement made on this discussion. I hope WST Brothers and Sisters would read this twice. A lot of times we disagree with each other's Comments, but You have really nailed it this Time. We'll Done!
    • So Glenroy, Merrytones and all other folks. Please clear this up for me. If we had these highly qualified judges for panorama next year and the results were the same would you accept their decisions.

There seems be an undertone here that problem is not the lack of growth in the music, but who is winning.

I feel like if Fonclare wins next year, all of South Trinidad will have no problems with the judges decisions..

bugs

• To answer you more specifically, Bugs, I agree that the same big bands probably would end up in the finals i.e., Al Stars, Phase II, Despers, etc.], but at the same time, IMHO there would be a greater likelihood that some other band(s) might make it into the finals (or at least the semis) if a new and "competent" set of judges were selected.  A victory by Silver Stars for example, would not seem to be an anomaly.  And who knows how many other bands might sneak in?

Peter

• Bugs unfortunately what we do here every year…we will do every year till thy kingdom come…but to judge the music somehow, we must. Ah kinda remember a few years ago that there was consideration for panmen, whether arrangers, former arrangers and just plain experienced panmen to be part of the judging panel. I kinda like that idea since it would (or at least could) bring a fresh perspective to the competition. What do you people think about that?

This reply was deleted.