When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 6315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Claude Gonzales: I will post thirty three but no band eh gettin 10,as it's 33 so I will leave you to post the rest be it Silver Stars or whoever. Bands will have more than what I post. You eh go set me up wid no bias ting fuh any band LOL. What ah leave out in the 33 you post the rest since yuh know of 10 plus for Silver Stars :-)

CECIL!! I'm giving you a start with thirty-three (33).1. Minuet In G;2.Let Every Valley Be Exalted;3.Gypsy Rhonda;4.Agnus Dei;5.Du &Du Waltz;6.Penny Lane;7.Poet & Peasants;8.Roses From The South;9.I Feel Pretty;10.Water Music;11.Elizabethan Serenade;12.For Unto Us A Child Is Born;13.Czardus;14.Uncle Albert;15.Adagio In C;16.Ballet Music;17.Tales Of The Vienna Woods;18.Salute D'Amour;19.Hungarian Dance;20.Symphony 40;21.Eine Eline Nacht Musik;22.Flight Of The Bumble Bee;23.Ghost Riders In The Sky; 24.Ascot Gavotte;25 Moonlight Serenade;26.Sonata In C;27.Barber Of Serville;28.The Final Waltz;29.Chopin No.7 Waltz.30.Orpheus In Hades.31.Night &Day;32.Halleluiah Chorus;33.Ballad & Theme From Slave Marie..........................................and the list goes on. Looking out for Glenroy to add from the south and others from elsewhere.

Puerto Rican Mambo and Another Nite Like This, was also from the early days

I can remember dancing to Mosco Tiles Fonclare "Caterpillar" it was a spectacular piece.

Now, this is what the"Bomb" tune is all about. Unfortunately the only place where you can experience something like this is in Brooklyn. What happened in Trinidad?.

Claude: Dr. Zhivago; Somewhere My Love,so yuh get five,so now 35. Give me the other five. When others post their tunes,you will then have the job of grouping the tunes  BY BANDS AND THE YEAR PLAYED,similar to your exercise last year of defunct bands in different parts of the country. Then I am selecting a WST panel to appoint you PRESIDENT OF THE FORUM!! :-)

For over four decades I have been /played in Port-of-Spain and environs,so I am looking out for Southerners, Easterners or whoever else can list tunes. Cecil again!! always starting something lol. Have work to do,so later.

Hey Gerard,what about "Egyptian Ballet" by All Stars1969.

Thanks for highlighting Highlanders "Let every Valley be exalted", no doubt the greatest piece of classical music ever played on pan.

I stand corrected but i believe that " Let every valley be exulted " by Hylanders has long been considered the BEST BOMB ever . It created the Greatest Impact and that's what a BOMB is all about , it's impact on people .

"Sunglasses" arr. by Junior Pouchet(?) for Tripoli. "Teddy Bear Picnic" by Tripoli.

Hey Patrick Sunglasses was arranged

by Tommy Critchlow

Pan Am North Stars had some of the biggest "Bomb" tunes. So did Invaders. At that time bands from the WEST were the BEST. Ask Valentino.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service