THE STEELBAND BEYOND 2015

As we prepare for the G.G.Town Hall Meeting on the 7th in StarLift pan yard I don't see any harm  in discussing how we would like to see the steelband moving foward.

It would be nice if members could make their  make their comments or suggestions known because this  is an opportunity that we never had before so we might as well make use of it.

My ONLY concern is that too many of us have given up on the steelband, the steelband is an orchestra created to supply music for us to play our mas on carnival days, a lot of people are trying to tell me that those days are over but I cannot believe that my people are so stupid as to let what makes our carnival unique die.

To those that see panorama as the MAIN EVENT you are wrong because all panorama does is allow the powers  that be to PIMP the steelband.

The MAIN EVENT has to be steelbands on the road, where they car do something to help themselves. Remember how the saying goes" if you teach a man how to fish he will always have fish"

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Martin, I do not agree with the last part of no.4 in brackets.Many touring steelbands, have showcased to thousands what can be produced from steeldrums from soprano to bass,and well orchestrated to play anything, to the amazement of listeners. I remember after being asked by a group where were the plugs and electric chords for the instruments and when I overturned a bass drum and they saw cobweb and a bit of rust,they were shocked. One even said. "I burn garbage in these things".The electronic instrument(s) would not create the type of impact or sell pan for what it really is. It would be taken for granted like "yeah right" it's what I expect from electronic instruments.

• My Older Brothers who have been there done that. You all must all remember that the Young people of today don't have the Love for Pan as we have. We grew up when Pan was evolving from Pan around Neck to Pan on Stands. There was not much Competition from Big Trucks or DJ's. Pan ruled the Roads Supremely now it's much different. We must learn to accept reality. There was a time when Calypsos ruled the Roads and they were the Road Marches, Now its Soca. This is Young People Time, they think different. We must Stop Living in the Past. We are all Grown People and behaving like if Progress have taken away our Toys. Face the facts Guys. Pan on the Road on Carnival days is Terminal and would die very soon. Give Thanks to Panorama, Steel Band Life Line.
  • Pan on the road is dying because you cannot get committed players. 70% of the players in panorama do not play on the road, some are masqueraders and the elder ones claim that they have a family to be with on carnival days after spending all that time in the yard for panorama. Money is also an issue. Some bands do not make the money to pay a decent wage. I know of players from a well known band who refused to play because of what was offered for the two days.Even the band i belong to will have 100 for panorama and by comparison offer the best wages for 2 days, still have to request retirees  to come out and play in sections where there are no players. My pardner and I did it for the last two years to make up a tenor side and this year three of them were requested to play bass,after years of retirement.We however had quite a few youths in other sections,so with the "old men" it worked out. I was surprised to see the struggle of some bands,with empty pans and some hardly knowing the music.

• This is my point. The 6 million spent on the greens to entice young people to panorama could be better spent paying bands to play on carnival Monday and Tuesday with added incentives of winning a large sum of money. Many bands have extremely young players and many have lots more than they need. Putting out lots of hours for no reward is the killer.

• Gerard,

For the last 40yrs. we mis-lead young people into believing that the steelband is about 8mins.once a year on the stage, what are we to expect now?

• Steelbands in  NY get a half day every year to do their stuff and it works. Labor Day in NY is a 'steel' for me.

• Most of the views expressed on this site are really laments that Steelband music is not, after all this time, a viable (profit) industry. But the fact is that an industry can only be an economic success, if there is a demand for its product or service.

While our honest idealism re Pan is good; we must also grapple with hard reality.

• Maybe you should take a visit to Pan on the Avenue and see how much people and vendors turn out for the event and all the bands that played not a DJ in sight … Last year almost every band large; medium and small played. Just one big night of pan on the road... How about Pan in the Stadium.

• Cecil My Bro. The future of Pan is not Pan on the Road. It's a Dying Profession. We have to Stop with Conspiracy theory about Certain People don't want Pan on the Streets. No one ever stop Pan on the Streets, it's the Bands themselves who are not interested in doing So. There are more Steel bands now than ever, yet there are so few Bands in the Road. If Bands want to come on the Road they can Do so. There are Large Bands - Medium Bands - Small Bands all Conventional even Traditional (aka) Pan Around Neck Bands. Why don't they come out on Carnival Day? They will all say that they can't go up against the Big Trucks. The Bands are there but can't handle those Big Trucks and DJ's. Carnival Has changed, now it's Beads & Bikinis and Big Trucks and DJ's. As an acoustic Instrument, Pan can't handle the Powerful Noise that emanates from these Mas Bands.
    • Val,

I would like you to tell me what the future of the STEELBAND is. Why should a sponsor invest in a steelband if they are only going to play 8 mins,  once a year on the panorama stage.

For years we mis-lead our young people into thinking that panorama is what the steelband is about,  that's the reason we don't see them after.

Why should a steelband come on the road and have to deal with a DJ?

As for the Conspiracy theory just let the government say they are giving the steelband a day yuh see something.

This reply was deleted.